Her Father Shot Her in the Head, as an 'Honor Killing'

On 1/31/2016 at 8:56 AM, SiCKX said:

Some places are 1000 years behind culturally.

8th-9th century they invented Algebra - the last decent thing to come from these people.

3 hours ago, T3X4S said:

8th-9th century they invented Algebra - the last decent thing to come from these people.

Your average 9th grader would probably disagree with you on that! :laugh:

On 1/31/2016 at 8:23 AM, Mando said:

Adolf Hitler was a devout roman catholic (the Vatican even turned a blind eye to the persecution of the Jewish faith by his doctrine), does that make all Christians genocidal maniacs? ( a rhetorical question lol)

If we apply some of the replies to this Fact above, it suddenly becomes quite insulting to Christians I would imagine.

I won't comment on the rest of your post but as a historian who has done most of my Masters and Ph.D research on Nazi Germany and spoken to and read a great deal of historical scholarship from some of the most respected historians regarding the Nazis I can tell you Hitler, after he became Chancellor was in no way shape or form a devout Catholic.  He manipulated the Church to serve his own propaganda purposes to secure power early on.  

It is true that he was baptized Catholic and at one point even thought about becoming a priest but that religious faith didn't stick.  By the time he became Chancellor the Nazi party and Hitler himself would replace the German faith. In fact Bibles were replaced with Mein Kampf and crosses with Swastikas.

There's much more but you get the point.

On 2016-01-31 at 9:56 AM, SiCKX said:

Some places are 1000 years behind culturally.

More like 150-200 years.  People were killed for being black not too long ago. Never forget that.

On 2016-02-01 at 4:13 AM, Torolol said:

It IS combination of both cultural & religion, blaming solely on cultural like some poster trying to imply are wrong.

There must be reasons why Pakistani culture + Islam produce more occurrence of Honor Killings than those without combined.

It's mostly cultural to be honest. Religion is what it is. Give it 1 inch of rope and it will take a mile.

Giving rope to religion is a cultural thing. It's a choice a culture decide to make.

Here something like 50-60 years ago priests were "forcing" women to have 13-15 children even if the doctors were saying it was dangerous for them. Kids and women died from it. Priests were beating and raping orphans under their care. Here the priests used to almost be the law.

Why did it change? Because religion changed? Let's not be naive here please. It changed because people wanted it to change. People one day said no not anymore. They stopped to go to church and finance the Catholic church. Religion had to change or die. It mostly died before realizing it. Almost nobody go to church these days. People just don't care about it anymore. They believe in god but not the religion. The religion did not really change that much anyway. They still wont allow same sex marriage. They still kind of disagree with abortion. They still wont allow women to be priest.  They are still living in the 50ies they just don't have any power anymore cause the population decided it was enough.

Religion doesn't force someone to do something. Growing in a culture where honor killing is considered okay can have a big impact on how someone is thinking later in his life though. The religion is nothing without believers. Believing is mostly a cultural thing.

21 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

The devaluing of women, for one. But like I say, it's not the sole cause, and other religions have similar effects on the culture too, which is why honour killings aren't unique to Islam.

If you judge islam by what its followers are doing, then i'd say you're right.

If you judge islam by what's written in the Quran, then you're off the mark.

14 minutes ago, V9s said:

One informs the other.

1 hour ago, V9s said:

A functioning religion is what those who practice it do, not what it says in the instruction book.

If Christians followed everything in the Bible, they'd be every bit as barbaric as some Muslim followers are.

On 2/3/2016 at 0:41 PM, FloatingFatMan said:

A functioning religion is what those who practice it do, not what it says in the instruction book.

If Christians followed everything in the Bible, they'd be every bit as barbaric as some Muslim followers are.

The Old Testament (which is where the violence you are referring to comes from) is more of a history lesson on where the religion came from as it lays the groundwork for the New Testament. The New Testament chronicles the birth, death, and resurrection of Jesus Christ and is essentially the instruction manual for how to be a good Christian. It is important to note that at no point in the New Testament does the Bible promote or condone any form of barbarism including but not limited to violence, or oppression of anyone. Christians in general understand this and this is evidenced by the fact that you do not see barbaric acts being perpetrated on a large scale in any nation where a majority or even a plurality of the people identify as Christian. I'm not saying that there aren't people out there who identify as Christian that do some really terrible things, but you will not find barbaric acts in predominantly Christian communities on the scale that you will find them in predominantly Muslim communities. Unfortunately for Islam, there is a statistical correlation between the those who identify with the religion and those who commit barbaric acts. As I have said in my earlier post, I don't blame the religion. This is purely an statistical illustration of a cultural problem that exists in nations where Islam is the majority or plurality religion that is statistically non-existent in other parts of the world.

How about we abandon any philosophy, be it religious, social, or political, that advocates violence or oppression? Who gives a ###### what the old or new Testament says? Who cares what the Quran or hadtihs say? There is ample secular philosophy which concerns itself with pro-human ideas.