triple boot - which order to install windows?

Currently i have 2 hard drives, both with windows 7 on (trust me, it's easier if you don't ask why, we've been there before :))

I was considering Windows 10 but i don't like upgrades, i prefer clean installs.

So if i wanted 2 hard drives both with windows 7 on and then another drive with Windows 10 on, what order would i do that?

Would it be Windows 7 on one drive, then another, then Windows 10 last?

And all 3 would boot without issue doing it this way?

Typically, the rule of thumb is to install the operating systems from oldest to newest; Windows 10 will detect the older Windows 7 installs, and create a boot menu for them.  So, install Windows 7 on both drives (I'm assuming the drive is partitioned into 2 volumes).  Before you install 10, you'll probably want to give unique names to the Windows 7 installs.  Then install Windows 10 on the other drive.  It should detect that you have other drives with Windows 10 on them, and add them to the boot menu.  If not, you can always use EasyBCD to create boot menus for the other Windows 7 installations.

• Like 1

I do my multiboots the same way devHead mentioned above. Oldest to youngest, I use EasyBCD to set up what you want as a boot order, otherwise youngest takes precedence. You will also have the option of verbose boot entries or new tile style. One thing you must do, if Win 8.* or Win 10 are being used, is to go to the control panels of both, right away, and in advanced power settings, remove the "fast start" option (untick the box). The reason for this is that settings are saved to reboot to the same system continually, but when you boot up another, the settings are wrong for another system and the system thinks there is a disc error..then the fun starts. That snag was rampant a while back but now covered on many sites. Like devHead mentioned, make your own labels, this way there is no confusion to what systems you are loading initially or booting from. As a side note, make sure all systems have "system restore" enabled so you can routinely keep modern return points while playing. A disk image utility can also image an individual system or the whole disc with multiple systems, your choice.

:)

Thanks guys.

The 2x Windows 7 installs will be on separate discs actually.

Within which OS would you change the boot order, or does it really not matter which? (because i would end up wanting one of the Windows 7 installs as default boot).

1 minute ago, Technique said:

Thanks guys.

The 2x Windows 7 installs will be on separate discs actually.

Within which OS would you change the boot order, or does it really not matter which? (because i would end up wanting one of the Windows 7 installs as default boot).

Within 10 - as 10's loader will be installed last.  Exception for UEFI - In the UEFI list, look for Windows Boot Manager; that should be first.

I dual-boot Windows 10 and SteamOS currently, and am looking to find a way to add OS X to the mix - the conflict is between Clover and MSI ClickBIOS.  Each OS will be on a separate drive from the others.

• Like 1

As a side note...when all systems are loaded, use EasyBCD to control what you want to boot as primary system, since each incremental software install that is newer will over ride selections. It over rides any system and allows the verbose or tile display. It also allow easy boot order changes when you need to keep rebooting for user requirements. The guys above can help with UEFI as I have been talking about legacy. Hope all goes well for you. :)

If I had a separate drive for each operating system, then I would install each one with the other two drives disconnected (which would result in no boot menu) and just use UEFI menu instead

What is this UEFI menu? Does it have any benefits over the method i'm used to & have mentioned? I've never heard of it tbh.

19 hours ago, Jared- said:

People still do this?! Wow... 

People still respond to threads without actually contributing anything worthwhile? Wow....

• Like 1