Browser 32 bit or 64 bit

Browser 32 bit or 64 bit  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Browser 32 bit or 64 bit?

• 32 bit
    • 64 bit

I was using Firefox 64 for a bit, but I was having too many odd issues with it, so I went back to 32, honestly can't see any difference.

It's 2016... Why would anyone be using any 32-bit program if had a 64-bit option? The difference is negotiable with a browser (speed wise). I am waiting for multi-process support to drop in Firefox stable (or even beta) already.

1 hour ago, oldtimefighter said:

It's 2016... Why would anyone be using any 32-bit program if had a 64-bit option? The difference is negotiable with a browser (speed wise). I am waiting for multi-process support to drop in Firefox stable (or even beta) already.

LOL, plenty of reasons why people use 32-bit app's in 2016.

I'm using 32-bit Chrome not for any real reason than I just do.

Edited by offroadaaron
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, offroadaaron said:

LOL, plenty of reasons why people use 32-bit app's in 2016.

No, there is only one real reason... An old PC.

EDITED

2 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

No... One reason you have old PC.

LOL Nope.... Has nothing to do with old PC's but good try, this is just one:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx

We recommend the 32-bit version of Office for most users, because it's more compatible with most other applications, especially third-party add-ins. This is why the 32-bit version of Office 2013 is installed by default, even on 64-bit Windows operating systems. On these systems, the 32-bit Office client is supported as a Windows-32-on-Windows-64 (WOW64) installation. WOW64 is the x86 emulator that enables 32-bit Windows-based applications to run seamlessly on 64-bit Windows systems. This lets users continue to use existing Microsoft ActiveX Controls and COM add-ins with 32-bit Office.

I don't see it as being a really big issue at this point. Maybe at some point in the future, but it is like many 32/64 bit apps in that we are moving - slowly - to full 64 bit builds, but there isn't a strong force pushing people towards it. Certainly not from browsers (barring extreme situations)

30 minutes ago, offroadaaron said:

LOL Nope.... Has nothing to do with old PC's but good try, this is just one:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee681792.aspx

Good try but #fail. I did establish it's 2016 in my first post yes? Thanks for the update on a three year old product and no I am not counting Office 365... There a similar warning for Office 2016? Hey, there are exceptions for every rule but 99% of the time one is going to go with the 64-bit version.

Edited by oldtimefighter

64 bit, I finally got around to switching from 32 bit to 64 bit recently. 

Good try but #fail. I did establish it's 2016 in my first post yes? Thanks for the update on a three year old product and no I am not counting Office 365... There a similar warning for Office 2016? Hey, there are exceptions for every rule but 99% of the time one is going to go with the 64-bit version.

Nice try:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Choose-the-32-bit-or-64-bit-version-of-Office-2dee7807-8f95-4d0c-b5fe-6c6f49b8d261

Compatibility is still an issue with some 64-bit programs so before you say fail have a good long think ;)

99%, really, got a link to back that up?

Edited by offroadaaron

10 minutes ago, offroadaaron said:

Nice try:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Choose-the-32-bit-or-64-bit-version-of-Office-2dee7807-8f95-4d0c-b5fe-6c6f49b8d261

Compatibility is still an issue with 64-bit programs so before you say fail have a good long think ;)

I was wrong when asked if this applied to Office 2016? Ok... Did you confuse the reasons to use the 64-bit version listed FIRST in this link of yours with the limited use case reasons to use the 32-bit version listed later? LOL

You have one partial example of one program so you are a long way from even getting to 1% of 32-bit programs one should use over their 64-bit counterpart.

15 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

I was wrong when asked if this applied to Office 2016? Ok... Did you confuse the reasons to use the 64-bit version listed FIRST in this link of yours with the limited use case reasons to use the 32-bit version listed later? LOL

I'm just going to leave that alone and let you think what you like...

15 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

You have one partial example of one program so you are a long way from even getting to 1% of 32-bit programs one should use over their 64-bit counterpart.

there are exceptions for every rule but 99% of the time one is going to go with the 64-bit version.

99% of the time one is going to install the 64-bit version....

Capture.PNG

Edited by offroadaaron

18 minutes ago, offroadaaron said:

I'm just going to leave that alone and let you think what you like...

99% of the time one is going to install the 64-bit version....

Capture.PNG

You know a browser is just one type of program right? I guess we can't argue with this overwhelming sample of 17 people (on Neowin no less). LOL Sorry, almost everyone should be using a 64-bit browser at home as there is no real reason not to...

Well, you had no counter to my other point so we are done here but thanks for the discussion.

EDITED

3 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

Well, you had no counter to my other point so we are done here but thanks for the discussion.

Thank you for playing, thank you for providing no facts in your argument.

Over and out.

4 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

You know a browser is just one type of program right? I guess we can't argue with this overwhelming sample of 17 people (on Neowin).

99% is 99% how many people do we need to make it legitimate. Changing the rules during the game...

3 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

Because not everything supports 64 bit versions, for example some addons for Access do not work with the 64bit version, same with outlook, same with excel. You seem to have this thought that if anyone does something differently than you, it is automatically wrong. 

1 hour ago, offroadaaron said:

Nice try:

Compatibility is still an issue with some 64-bit programs so before you say fail have a good long think ;)

99%, really, got a link to back that up?

Of course he doesnt have any links to back that, hes known to throw out random stats and never back them up.

Edited by Circaflex
  • Like 2

I didnt even know there was a 64-bit version of chrome - I just never even thought about it. :blush:

Just switched over - just cause - 64 is a larger number than 32 - and larger numbers are better :D

• Like 2

I dunno, whatever version of Chrome is default. Doesn't really bother me.

Office 32 bit over 64 bit, unless you have gigantic excel files, or you need to use Outlook 2016 to use funky IMAP\Exchange 2010+ restore stuff. 

• Like 1

I was taught by a friend about this issue about bits. He stated;

think of bits as lanes on a highway. we used to use 16 bit software in the windows 95/98 era. then we went to 32 bit and now 64 bit. the higher the bits, the more data can be pushed through. I would probably guess that, a 32 bit browser, say google chrome is considerably slower than google chrome 64 bit in rendering webpages.

I'm guessing here from what I remember..

19 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

I didnt even know there was a 64-bit version of chrome - I just never even thought about it. :blush:

Just switched over - just cause - 64 is a larger number than 32 - and larger numbers are better :D

:laugh:

I truly admire the simplicity of your thinking process.      ;)

I'm using Firefox 32 bit.  I just haven't bothered to try the 64 bit version lately.

14 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

I was taught by a friend about this issue about bits. He stated;

think of bits as lanes on a highway. we used to use 16 bit software in the windows 95/98 era. then we went to 32 bit and now 64 bit. the higher the bits, the more data can be pushed through. I would probably guess that, a 32 bit browser, say google chrome is considerably slower than google chrome 64 bit in rendering webpages.

I'm guessing here from what I remember..

No to pretty much everything you typed.

• Like 3