Chrome issue: WidevineCDM

I'm up to date with Google Chrome. lately, probably within just the last month, I've been having issues whereby when trying to watch Netflix, I get an error message and info on how to delete and reinstall WidevineCDM's folder.

has anyone else been experiencing this issue? I don't mind fixing it but I can't figure out if this is at the Browser level or is it Netflix or my current build. Though 10586.164 has been the build it has started with.

anyone able to shed some light on this? Here's the link for fixing it with different options: WidevineCDM folder issues with Netflix

regards,

-Chrisj1968

64. It just happens when I go to Netflix, select my film and then the error message. no number but a link on how to fix it (simply delete the WidevineCDM folder, then type "Chrome://components and all the way at the bottom dead last is widevineCDM and I click update after I restart the browser before I forget.

Are you using Chrome or Chromium? I have seen that error personally with Chromium, but never with Chrome. Have you tried nuking your Chrome install, deleting all registry keys and folders left behind, and reinstalling Chrome? I just tested 3, 64-bit units and they have no such issues currently playing Netflix content.

I wonder if it has to do with the Insider build though, unfortunately I do not have any machines handy to test with. I know there have been many reports about Chrome being broken on some of the Insider builds, I wonder if this is part of the problem?

1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

Are you using Chrome or Chromium? I have seen that error personally with Chromium, but never with Chrome. Have you tried nuking your Chrome install, deleting all registry keys and folders left behind, and reinstalling Chrome? I just tested 3, 64-bit units and they have no such issues currently playing Netflix content.

The official Chrome 64 bit, not chromium as I know those are the development builds that eventually turn into Chrome builds. But it happens close to once a week. perhaps Chrome corrupts the widevineCDM folder/files? But I just delete the folder, close Chrome, open it back up, type chrome://components and at the bottom is the WidevineCDM and click "update" and generally it fixes it. it has never failed thus far

Interesting, I have yet to experience that on Chrome, but I am not running an insider build. I did have that happen once a week with Chromium though, that is the only reason I asked. Have you tried using one of those uninstaller programs, like Bulk Crap Uninstaller or JV Power Tools to nuke the Chrome install, search for any leftovers and delete them. Then reinstalling Chrome?