Bugatti Chiron

311 Miles per hour?

Well, the only place I can think of to test that would be the salt flats outside Reno, and places like that, as the German Oval will not be long enough a 5 miles...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

The funny thing is it took and additional 500hp to make another 50mph over the Veyron.

I remember reading that it took 250hp for the Veyron to hit 150mph.  It took another 750hp for it to get to 250mph.

I thought it would be another 5-10 years before we saw a well known, somewhat production car to hit 300mph - they are stating it can go beyond 311mph is insane.

2 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

The funny thing is it took and additional 500hp to make another 50mph over the Veyron.

Law of diminishing returns basically... pumping more power into it now won't really make it go that much faster. :(

Then again, there's no real need to go faster, practically speaking. :p

Not sure where you've got the specs from, but theyre slightly off from the actuals:

1479bhp

261mph (limited for safety - definitely not so they can release a sport model later!)

0-60 in 2.5 seconds. 

They're gonna take the limiter off for the speedrun and expect it to get to 270 mph. 

It won't do over 300, you need a drag racer for that. The 311mph figure is the rumourmill going beserk.

The 261mph limit is for tyres. Yes they will make one that goes faster later on but that will require newly engineered wheels and tyres = £££.

Of course it will do 270 derestricted, they were already very close to that with the Veyron, which was 300hp down on the Chiron, and didn't have the same aero advancements.

tbh the Regara sounds like the more interesting car. Not just because of its acceleration times, but the concept as a whole.

While the Veyron was impressive, running it was a nightmare. Tyres had to be replaced every 2500 miles at £20000 a set, and every three tyre changes meant replacing the wheels themselves, at £30000. If you don't stick to the schedule, Bugatti refuses to touch the car and then no one will want to buy it from you. Even for the super rich it is cripplingly expensive to own. I imagine the Chiron will be worse still.

5 hours ago, what said:

It won't do over 300, you need a drag racer for that. The 311mph figure is the rumourmill going beserk.

The 261mph limit is for tyres. Yes they will make one that goes faster later on but that will require newly engineered wheels and tyres = £££.

Of course it will do 270 derestricted, they were already very close to that with the Veyron, which was 300hp down on the Chiron, and didn't have the same aero advancements.

tbh the Regara sounds like the more interesting car. Not just because of its acceleration times, but the concept as a whole.

While the Veyron was impressive, running it was a nightmare. Tyres had to be replaced every 2500 miles at £20000 a set, and every three tyre changes meant replacing the wheels themselves, at £30000. If you don't stick to the schedule, Bugatti refuses to touch the car and then no one will want to buy it from you. Even for the super rich it is cripplingly expensive to own. I imagine the Chiron will be worse still.

I'm guessing they could try and use the Dunlop Land Speed wheels similar to the ones used on the Thrust SSC in order to attempt a sustained attempt at maxxing it 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aheer.R.S. said:

I'm guessing they could try and use the Dunlop Land Speed wheels similar to the ones used on the Thrust SSC in order to attempt a sustained attempt at maxxing it 

But then it wouldn't be a production spec car and wouldn't get the record, assuming that is what they're after. The last record they got with the Veyron SS just used the standard tyres, but they hadn't been rated to 267mph at the time, so it was a little dangerous.

Remember that Bugatti is a single model car company and claims to make the  best car in the world. They want the car to do 261mph while keeping you cool and comfortable in the cockpit.  Bolting on special tyres would totally undo that.

18 hours ago, Biohead said:

Not sure where you've got the specs from, but theyre slightly off from the actuals:

1479bhp

261mph (limited for safety - definitely not so they can release a sport model later!)

0-60 in 2.5 seconds. 

They're gonna take the limiter off for the speedrun and expect it to get to 270 mph. 

16 hours ago, what said:

I simply quoted the claim in the article.  

15 hours ago, Biohead said:

...what article? :rofl:

LOL whoops  heh, better not quit my day job, my journalistic integrity sucks

It popped up on Yahoo, but cant remember where they sourced it -