Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

wow .. seems like they are getting Jar Jar Abrahms to help out ..

HOW EXTENSIVE WILL THE ROGUE ONE RESHOOTS BE?

Since the weekend, there was a lot of dust kicked up on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. By late Sunday night, the news began to hit the gossip sites and the trades alike. I reached out to several sources to find out exactly what was going on with Rogue One. When I asked a few crew members what was being reshot they laughed and said “everything.” Of course they were kidding but from the sound of it, the shooting will be extensive.

Here are the common themes in what people behind the scenes are saying:

• Some crew initially heard J.J. Abrams was supervising the reshoots.
  • Gareth Edwards is doing the reshoots himself but with a partner, Christopher McQuarrie.
  • Christopher McQuarrie, the final writer on Rogue One will be working extensively with Edwards onset to make sure they’re on the “same page” with the most recent draft of the film.
  • Christopher McQuarrie’s draft of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was considered superior to the film they shot previously.
  • It was not Edwards’ fault as McQuarrie’s draft wasn’t completed when much of the film was shot and revisions kept coming in that made the film feel uneven.
  • 32 sets have been recreated for the reshoot.
  • The crew expects they are reshooting 40% of the film.
  • They are working 6 days a week for 8 weeks.

So that’s the word on the reshoots going down. The vibe doesn’t seem bad. It seems like they’re making the movie right. When the movie began filming there was a lot of talk that the budget had been greatly reduced slightly before shooting meaning more CGI would be needed. Now it looks like the movie is going to cost what it was supposed to cost from the start. The quality of the film wasn’t bad, it just needs to be better and all involved are happy to make that happen.

It is important to remember that this movie doesn’t come out until December. If it were September and people were saying the movie was awful we would be screwed and stuck with a bad film. That’s not the case here. The reshoots were always part of the plan but they’re way more shots to be redone than they initially thought.

I’m not that crazy about execs saying what works for films. They tend to turn out the same crap over and over again. It doesn’t sound like the situation is exactly like that here. It sounds like its a pretty good situation where everyone wants to make the film better than it was. As a Star Warsfan, I’m pretty happy they care enough to make sure it is right.

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/06/how-extensive-will-the-rogue-one-reshoots-be/

Forget all the **** about people saying they know what happens in a movie that hasn't wrapped principle photography (VIII) Who wants to know what happens in Rogue One?

Background: I'm one of many people who had a hand in making Rogue One, A Star Wars Story, and I want to answer all your questions today in hopes that you guys like what we made for you and this goes viral so Disney backs the ###### off of our movie.

I'll work with the mods to verify myself but it's a super sketchy line I don't want to ###### with and end up blackballed. That said I'm not the only ###### at Disney right now and maybe more of my coworkers will come forward.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsspeculation/comments/4m8d6w/forget_all_the_crap_about_people_saying_they_know/

Pending verification

Obviously do not click if you do not like spoilers. (light spoilers it seems)

The guy sounds legit. Seems like they are castrating the movie.

23 minutes ago, FunkyMike said:

wow .. seems like they are getting Jar Jar Abrahms to help out ..

HOW EXTENSIVE WILL THE ROGUE ONE RESHOOTS BE?

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/06/how-extensive-will-the-rogue-one-reshoots-be/

Wow..if true.  40% and bringing on JJ. Mickey Mouse must have been really po'd.  That is much more than I had thought.

Maybe it needed more Darth Vader. :)

1 minute ago, jjkusaf said:

Wow..if true.  40% and bringing on JJ. Disney must have been...po'd.  That is much more than I had thought.

Christopher McQuarrie has some really good movies under his belt. I have read before that he was brought onto this project to make a few course adjustments. Hopefully it will add to the movie but not neuter it.

On that reddit site there is talk about a beach scene getting reshot because of being too brutal.

Spoilers: 

Spoiler

In a night scene Vader absolutely lays waste to a Rebel ground Squad. Unfortunately this is one of the scenes we have to water down. We made it like something from the old slasher/horror films. Rebel soldiers who joked about a boogie man with magical powers and then minutes later are absolutely wasted.

I'll put it this way: a lot of characters die in this movie right now, and that was supposed to be the whole point. You don't name an entire squadron after a group that got a happy ending, no that's normally in honor of a great sacrifice.

The ending will stay the same, but the crew's fate will be implied, not shown. The reshoot a will be for our Normandy inspired beachhead scene and the Vader massacre, as well as a few other combat scenes.

26 minutes ago, FunkyMike said:

Christopher McQuarrie has some really good movies under his belt. I have read before that he was brought onto this project to make a few course adjustments. Hopefully it will add to the movie but not neuter it.

On that reddit site there is talk about a beach scene getting reshot because of being too brutal.

Spoilers: 

Reveal hidden contents

In a night scene Vader absolutely lays waste to a Rebel ground Squad. Unfortunately this is one of the scenes we have to water down. We made it like something from the old slasher/horror films. Rebel soldiers who joked about a boogie man with magical powers and then minutes later are absolutely wasted.

I'll put it this way: a lot of characters die in this movie right now, and that was supposed to be the whole point. You don't name an entire squadron after a group that got a happy ending, no that's normally in honor of a great sacrifice.

The ending will stay the same, but the crew's fate will be implied, not shown. The reshoot a will be for our Normandy inspired beachhead scene and the Vader massacre, as well as a few other combat scenes.

Your spoiler tag is kind of a bummer...if true. Guess they want to  keep the "good" bad guy thing going...if you know what I mean. :(

Like I figured, the Disney brass want to water down and make this more kid friendly I guess, there was too much "war" stuffs going on and they didn't like it.     Sorry guys, and maybe I'm the only one or one of the very few who think this, but the marvel movie formula has ruined things for us.   We can't have more serious adult themes/scenes or movies overall now because the studio heads want to stick to the same formula over and over, regardless of the fact this is a totally different series.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, George P said:

Like I figured, the Disney brass want to water down and make this more kid friendly I guess, there was too much "war" stuffs going on and they didn't like it.     Sorry guys, and maybe I'm the only one or one of the very few who think this, but the marvel movie formula has ruined things for us.   We can't have more serious adult themes/scenes or movies overall now because the studio heads want to stick to the same formula over and over, regardless of the fact this is a totally different series.

Disagree wholly.  I think Disney have allowed Marvel almost free reign on the issues they follow.  They've not "disnified" anything.  Gotta remember that Disney the company and Disney the brand are not the same - one is about the mouse, princesses etc - the other is a production company that (as per most other market leaders) is simply looking to make a more acceptable movie with a better ROI.  If you're looking for gritty war drama, and going to see a big budget Star Wars film, Disney or not, you're doing it wrong!

Too much war in a movie called Star Wars?

2vDU5CR.gif

For real tho, one of the things I was looking forward with these side-stories is that, by not being part of the main story, they could get away with more creative takes on the universe. As much as I liked The Force Awakens, it really was just a really good rehash of what we've seen so many times before.

Looks like the reshoot rumours  were blown out of proportion. 

What's true and false about the reshoots 
for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Here’s what’s happening with Rogue One:

Over the past week, numerous stories have emerged about reshoots on the first of the Star Wars stand-alone films, and fans have become as nervous and confused as C-3PO at a Star Trek convention.

After reaching out to deeply placed sources on the movie and at Lucasfilm to sort fact from fiction, Entertainment Weekly has learned new details about the state of the project – including who’s working on the new sequences and what those scenes involve.

Here’s what’s true: The film, which is about Rebels stealing the plans for the first Death Star just before the events of 1977’s original Star Wars, is undergoing four to five weeks of reshoots, beginning this month and ending just days before the Star Wars Celebration fan event in London on July 15.

High level sources at Lucasfilm, who spoke to EW independently and anonymously, offered some details that place the schedule in context. (Official studio sources declined comment, saying they don’t respond to rumors.)

In what may reassure fans, reshoots were scheduled for the film before even a single scene was shot. It’s standard practice now for large-scale films to build in additional weeks of shooting so filmmakers can tweak a movie after the first assembly cut.

Those reshoots were originally planned for the spring, but were bumped to mid-summer to allow for extra time as director Gareth Edwards and the creative team decided what they wanted to alter. “The changes have everything to do with clarity and character development and all take place [as inserts] within scenes we’ve already shot,” said one source on the project.

In other words, the changes involve more intimate moments – not redoing entire battle sequences or plot lines. “It’s a lot of talking in cockpits,” as one insider described the new footage.

CURRENT TIMELINE

The rumor that almost half the movie is being reshot elicits both laughter and groans from those closest to the film. While it might seem like spin-control from those working on the film, their logic bears out: “If we were rewriting the movie and reshooting 40 percent of movie, we would not be finishing in August,” a source on the production says. “People really would be panicking – and changing the release date.”

The length of the reshoots adds up because it involves separate contributions from many different actors. Rogue One is an ensemble story with seven major characters, including the outlaw Jyn Erso (played by Felicity Jones), and her team of Rebel infiltrators played by Diego Luna, Donnie Yen, Alan Tudyk (as a performance capture droid), Riz Ahmed, Forest Whitaker, and Wen Jiang. Ben Mendelsohn costars as an Imperial officer, and Mads Mikkelson has said he plays Jyn’s father.

A NEW COLLABORATOR

Rumors that Christopher McQuarrie, best known for writing the Oscar-winning script for The Usual Suspects and writing and directingMission: Impossible – Rogue Nation, has written a new script and will be involved in co-directing the reshoots are false.

McQuarrie did make contributions to an earlier draft of the script, sources confirm. But that’s the extent of his work on Rogue One. As rumors about his involvement in the Star Wars film began to spread yesterday, McQuarrie himself took to Twitter to deny them. 

https://twitter.com/intent/retweet?tweet_id=738536269928669184https://twitter.com/intent/retweet?tweet_id=738536269928669184https://twitter.com/intent/retweet?tweet_id=738536269928669184https://twitter.com/intent/retweet?tweet_id=738536269928669184

But EW’s reporting has uncovered a new collaborator on Rogue One: Tony Gilroy, the writer-director of Michael Clayton. He was brought aboard the project in the spring to offer notes on the first cut and write some additional material to enhance the story.

Gilroy has deep ties to the Rogue One team. He also worked on the screenplays for many of the Bourne films and even directed 2012’sThe Bourne Legacy, which were all produced by Frank Marshall, the husband of Kathleen Kennedy, who is the president of Lucasfilm. One source says he’s trusted by Kennedy and the story team, and has even been recruited to consult on other Star Wars projects.

A GRITTIER TONE

Fears that the heavy-duty war movie is being watered down into a lighthearted caper are unfounded, according to what EW has learned. “The movie is very different than [The Force Awakens], and that’s intentional,” one source says. “It’s a war film.”

Rumors that Disney executives have forced the changes to make the movie more family friendly are also false. According to EW’s sources, there have been no test screenings, and it’s unlikely there ever will be on a Star Wars film.

Source: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/03/rogue-one-reshoots

• Like 2

EW.com Accused Of Shilling For Disney/Rogue One Problems Purportedly Real

Well, the drama is back! (Supposedly.) ComicBookNews.com is reporting from source Latino Review that there is indeed major drama surrounding Rogue One, that the problems aren't overblown. In fact, they accuse Entertainment Weekly of shilling for Disney. Per the source, they're claiming that things are so bad that a new director is being brought on board and half the film needs to be reshot because it is much too dark for Disney's tastes. (What a shame if this is indeed true.) We're just presenting this for you to come to your own conclusions. But if it is true, it certainly provides some clarity on how Disney is much too involved in the creative process.

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=18037

STAR WARS: ROGUE ONE IN WORSE TROUBLE THAN THOUGHT

Following news that Disney was in panic mode over Star Wars: Rogue One, it's learned the situation may be worse than originally speculated.

The original report made mention that Disney wasn't happy with Gareth Edwards' version of Star Wars: Rogue One and has ordered reshoots.

Following that, EW.com shilled a bit for Disney and attempted to spin it as if things were okay -- that they were simple reshoots and cameos.

Now reports are coming in that things are so bad on Star Wars: Rogue One that not only is half the movie getting reshot, but a new director has been brought on board and rewrites on the script are underway.

Latino Review is stating nearly half of Star Wars: Rogue One is going to be reshot this Summer.

On top of that, the Playlist is stating Tony Gilroy (Bourne Legacy) is overseeing the reshoots and rewrites of the script.

Star Wars: Rogue One is due out this December.

It's been said the Gareth Edwards version of Star Wars: Rogue One is too dark for Disney's liking as originally it was going to be a  "Dirty Dozen"-like movie where Rebels go on a suicide mission to steal the Death Star plans and don't make it out alive. It's speculated Disney wasn't happy with that direction and wants to add fun (ala Force Awakens) to the movie. 

http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/star-wars-rogue-one-worse-trouble-thought

Damn, well I don't know what to say, comicbook.com and Latino review have been spot on with their reporting as far as I remember, so if those two sites back up the claims that the movie is in trouble then they're probably on to something.

I don't see how this movie makes it out by December if it's going to need so much reshooting, wonder if Disney will delay it or just rush out and give us whatever mess it ends up being?   Or I suppose Disney could through more bodies at it in post-production to cut down the time, sure the budget will take a hit but since it's Star Wars I'm sure they figure it'll make enough profit anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Screenshot-12.png

Star Wars: Forest Whitaker’s Rogue One Character Revealed

star-wars-rogue-one-movie-forest-whitake

Clkh79OUoAAsSxR.jpg

Whitaker will bring to life Saw Gerrera, a character who first appeared in the season five episode “A War on Two Fronts.” There, Saw and his sister Steela were part of an insurgent group being trained (unofficially) by Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, and Anakin’s apprentice Ahsoka Tano. Now, Saw is an ally of the Rebel Alliance (albeit one even the heroes are unsure of), looking to deliver a crushing blow to Darth Vader’s cause.

Source http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/22/star-wars-rogue-one-forest-whitaker-character

VIA http://screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-one-forest-whitaker-saw-gerrera/

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2016 at 9:37 AM, jjkusaf said:

Maybe it needed more Darth Vader. :)

Make a whole series of films about Darth Vader & do it before James Earl Jones kicks the bucket.

star-wars-celebration-shoretroopers.jpg

star-wars-celebration-at-act-cargo-walke

Imperial AT-ACT Cargo Walker is a larger version of the standard combat AT-AT, the AT-ACT features a dedicated cargo bed for the transportation of heavy building materials or combat munitions. It was deployed at major Imperial construction projects, such as shipyards and sprawling research installations.

star-wars-celebration-krennic-imperial-s

Krennic’s Imperial Shuttle, with its starkly geometric hull shape and folding bat-like wings, the approach of Delta-class T-3c shuttle is an imposing sight. Once it lands and deploys its passengers – the cruel Director Krennic and his squad of elite troopers, all sense of dread proves extremely warranted. 

star-wars-celebration-tie-striker.jpg

A streamline variant of the classic TIE fighter design, the TIR striker is designed for atmospheric patrols over important Imperial ground-based installations. The versatile design can also soard in space, where it can accompany traditional TIE fighters in chasing down enemy starships.

The last one reminds me of the Jedi Star Fighters whilst that new Imperial Shuttle seems to have some DNA from the shuttle in TFA.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-celebration-rogue-one-costumes/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, you can tell off the bat that it's going to be a bit darker, but that's expected, the trailer still has that hope vibe to it so it's a SW trailer through and through.

• Like 2

This feels like a war film.  The editing of a trailer isn't always representative of the final film, obviously, but the shooting of the battle scenes here feels very much like something I will buy into.

• Like 2

On 12/08/2016 at 10:28 AM, Nik Louch said:

This feels like a war film.  The editing of a trailer isn't always representative of the final film, obviously, but the shooting of the battle scenes here feels very much like something I will buy into.

yep, im looking forward to this one.

Hopefully be a new slant on the SW universe, I can see me liking the droid, i like his attitude :p

no matter how good or bad it turns, out, it will rake in hundeds of millions and Disney ultimately wont care if its trash or not.

Its a self selling franchise.