PS4 Controller on a Wii U

18fd903yk1r57gif.gif

If i told you that i'd been playing Mario Kart 8 with a PS4 controller on my Wii U then you'd probably think I was a bit nuts (maybe you do anyway!) however that's actually now possible. Currently an un-patched exploit exists which you can trigger from the consoles browser, the end result been you can load homebrew apps on the Wii U.

A nice homebrew app called HID to Vpad allows you to use PS3 and PS4 controllers, along with usb keyboards and mice on the Wii U. I can see that been nice for games which don't really need a touch screen, however force you to use the Wii U's game pad regardless.

I created a quick video below showing the loading of the homebrew app, then Mario Kart 8 been played with a PS4 controller & USB keyboard:

Something a bit different as we wait for news on the Nintendo NX!

Edit - Andrew has given the ok for me to post my Wii U homebrew guide, so if you fancy trying this for yourself then have a read here: Easy Nintendo Wii U Homebrew Channel Guide.

Something to keep in mind is nothing you do is permanent, it's all done in ram only, so forgotten when you power the Wii U off. At the moment this works on the latest Wii U 5.5.1 firmware, however i'm sure Nintendo will patch the exploit soon. If you block your Wii U from updating as detailed in my guide then you will always be able to re launch the Homebrew Loader using the web browser exploit.

Happy tinkering :)

Edited by InsaneNutter
  • Like 1

If you make use of this, or any of the other HBC apps, remember to change your Wii U DNS to 107.211.140.065, or Nintendo can remove it from your console.

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

If you make use of this, or any of the other HBC apps, remember to change your Wii U DNS to 107.211.140.065, or Nintendo can remove it from your console.

Would links to a homebrew setup tutorial for the Wii U be ok on Neowin? I created a pretty detailed guide a while ago, however not sure if it would be against the forum rules.

Just now, InsaneNutter said:

Would links to a homebrew setup tutorial for the Wii U be ok on Neowin? I created a pretty detailed guide a while ago, however not sure if it would be against the forum rules.

Yes, homebrew topics are allowed, but please do not share instructions whose only purpose is to pirate and do not include copyrighted NANDs etc. I know this hack is userland based, so it's fine to post (Y)

• Like 1