On PC with the Origin Access trial atm (since for $5 I get $6 off and a bunch of other stuff...why not.)

Great game so far (I'm around three hours in) except for a weird cutscene issue they're working on.

While the beginning seems very similar to the original it definitely has a very different plot and plenty of new stuff to go with it.

Honestly...not sure if people should jump in at launch unless they're already huge fans, until I know the bug is fixed.

Old preview thread

I have to say my experience thus far (also checked it out thanks to EA Access) has been a little different, and I absolutely loved the original.

I just feel like they do not have to make it openworld, and so far (I believe I am 4 or 5 missions in and I have done about the same amount of side missions), I feel like some paths have already been repeated (for example it was almost the same exact path for a Mission and a side quest) and I get the distinct feeling that the side missions are all going to be very similar.

I pretty much feel that making it openworld was done in order to make it seem like there is more content than there actually is and for my own personal tastes I could have done without all of that and just take me to the missions themselves. I would have been fine with linear.

I get how others would enjoy the opposite though and like being able to explore the city on their own, I am just not big on collectibles or stuff like that.

Regardless I have kept my preorder as I hope it picks up (I also got it for $48 thanks to Amazon so did not pay full price), but so far, I am a tad disappointed and think if there is one game that did not need openworld, this is it.

• Like 1

I love the sense of scale it brings in.  I can't say I'm really doing much of the deliveries and races yet but I usually do some of that in between or after the story.

I agree with the Shack on the social features being mostly unnecessary...but I do have one friend playing so eh.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/95032/mirrors-edge-catalyst-review-have-a-little-faith

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the game :)  That was a lot of fun.

Cutscene bug still isn't fixed :(

I mostly skipped the extra timed runs (though not most of the sidequests) so I still have plenty to do if I decide to, but I'm not terribly concerned about them.

And yeah, some of the plot was a little thin.  Ah well.