Elderly priest killed in French church, attack claimed by Islamic State

4 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

But they should know as most Christians know that what was written in The Old Testament is BS along with possibly the entire book.  God or Jesus did not write the Bible and Mohammad did not write The Quran. Anyone who takes these things as Gospel is well NUTS.

It's not the same, you can't compare the bible to the Quran. The bible is accepted as a recollection of events and stories from other people, the Quran is believed to be the will and word of God. This is the very reason, unlike Christianity, Catholicism, Judaism etc Islam cannot be reformed

6 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

But they should know as most Christians know that what was written in The Old Testament is BS along with possibly the entire book.  God or Jesus did not write the Bible and Mohammad did not write The Quran. Anyone who takes these things as Gospel is well NUTS.

Ah, but therein lies the problem.. To Muslims, the Qur'an IS the literal, actual, and unalterable, divine word of god himself, given directly to Muhammed by the angel Gabriel. To ignore or alter ANY of it, is blasphemy. EVERY SINGLE MUSLIM believes this, to the very core of their being.

Christians, on the other hand, know full well that the Bible is a collection of stories and parables, written by man as a chronicle of certain events in a certain region of the middle east.  It's not to be taken literally, and isn't (except by a very tiny number of kooks.)

3 minutes ago, SIE said:

It's not the same, you can't compare the bible to the Quran. The bible is accepted as a recollection of events and stories from other people, the Quran is believed to be the will and word of God. This is the very reason, unlike Christianity, Catholicism, Judaism etc Islam cannot be reformed

But it is not and if they continue to believe this they will be destroyed. The civilized people in the world will wake up one day and smell the blood. If The Quran cannot be reformed then why are there millions of Muslims in The US that act peaceful and do not cause problems. They do have moderate Muslim Countries.

43 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

If The Quran cannot be reformed then why are there millions of Muslims in The US that act peaceful and do not cause problems.

Just like Christianity has been "watered down" from extremely vile and despicable actions for the last 500 years, Muslims are now just about to go through that phase as it branches out from it's source in the middle east. It is a snowball effect.

• 3 months later...

I really hope someone from isis (not capitalizing because they don't deserve it) is ready to discuss their thoughts with me. Let me know your thoughts... you are wrong and you disgust me but I am ready to hear your thoughts so I can help you.

On 7/27/2016 at 11:55 AM, Yogurth said:

Take a good look at Catholic & protestants history and tell me You can't see the similarities. Remember that during WWII Vatican supported Nazi's sometimes and somewhere directly like in Croatia and somewhere else like in Germany by staying quiet. Religions are not at fault but men interpreting and leading them.

The primary difference between Christian religions and Islamic sects is that Christianity teaches one to turn the other cheek. The Koran instructs followers to kill Infidels if they refuse to convert. I read it. It starts out peaceful enough. But, over time, you can see the authors' views change and become more militant. Salman Rushdie's book "The Satanic Verses" was about a Muhammad-like character. A fatwa calling for his death was decreed. Dissent is not allowed in Islam.  

The other major difference between islam and other faiths (beside followers claiming their holy book is the uneditable, verbatim, word of their god) is the fact that muslims are taught their religion IS THE LAST RELIGION.  think about that.

On 7/27/2016 at 2:59 PM, Gary7 said:

But they should know as most Christians know that what was written in The Old Testament is BS along with possibly the entire book.  God or Jesus did not write the Bible and Mohammad did not write The Quran. Anyone who takes these things as Gospel is well NUTS. I can say that murder . rape , torture, mutilation of women, pedophilia ...etc is WRONG in a civilized world.

My Father told me once to never argue religion or politics. I think he was right as no one can win a debate on this.

It can be easily argued, that anyone who believes any of the claims in the bible is certifiably NUTS.

Yes, there has been some bad stuff done in the name of christianity.  Most of the really bad stuff was done a long time ago (Im aware the Pope helped nazis locate jews)
But, islam is just getting warmed up.  This is going to get worse before it gets better Im afraid.

3 hours ago, seeprime said:

The primary difference between Christian religions and Islamic sects is that Christianity teaches one to turn the other cheek. The Koran instructs followers to kill Infidels if they refuse to convert. I read it. It starts out peaceful enough. But, over time, you can see the authors' views change and become more militant. Salman Rushdie's book "The Satanic Verses" was about a Muhammad-like character. A fatwa calling for his death was decreed. Dissent is not allowed in Islam.  

It is just the other side of a coin compared to Catholic church in particular, where the Pope and priests can absolve You of all sins (I mean  all) if they were done in the name of the Church or God. Take a look back for just few decades, not to mention further down the history, to see how many millions were slaughtered in the name of the Church and God.

2 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

It is just the other side of a coin compared to Catholic church in particular, where the Pope and priests can absolve You of all sins (I mean  all) if they were done in the name of the Church or God. Take a look back for just few decades, not to mention further down the history, to see how many millions were slaughtered in the name of the Church and God.

The difference being that Catholics and Christians do not kill en mas any more in the name of their religion. They have evolved and moved on, whereas Islam appears not to have.

Just now, restroom said:

The difference being that Catholics and Christians do not kill en mas any more in the name of their religion. They have evolved and moved on, whereas Islam appears not to have.

i wish that was so, but lookup Yugoslavian Wars during the '90's. Nothing has changed or evolved on either side.

1 minute ago, Yogurth said:

i wish that was so, but lookup Yugoslavian Wars during the '90's. Nothing has changed or evolved on either side.

Those where ethnic wars I believe and not so much religious wars.

13 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

Yes, etnic, strictly divided on religion basis.

Ethnicity and religion are two separate things as far as I'm aware? If the Scots, English and Welsh go to war with each other, that would be ethnic, but not religious.

Just because an ethnic group may follow a different religion, a war with another ethnic group does not instantly make it a religious one.

3 hours ago, seeprime said:

Dont be so quick to put christianity on a pedastal.  It has its own nightmarish stupidity.
And no its not just the Old Testament.  Hell isnt even mentioned until the New Testament.

10 minutes ago, restroom said:

Ethnicity and religion are two separate things as far as I'm aware? If the Scots, English and Welsh go to war with each other, that would be ethnic, but not religious.

Just because an ethnic group may follow a different religion, a war with another ethnic group does not instantly make it a religious one.

Well to put it bluntly, Yugoslavia was not great Britain. Incomparable. the ethos of all sides in conflict was/is the same. The division came, based on which religion You took in centuries ago. So this was religious/ethnic war. The appropriate analogy would be Northern Ireland/Ireland.

9 hours ago, Jason S. said:

please get this thread back on topic. there is a dedicated thread for general religious talk.

Slightly difficult when religion is at the very core of the thread topic...

On 27/7/2016 at 4:59 AM, Gary7 said:

If a Islamic Cleric was killed the world would be on fire.

not necessarily, a simple facebook post brought down temples in Bangladesh.