Question about Heat paste

Ok, don't know if it's heat paste per se' but, I'm going to my dads and saw a post here about someone telling the OP of that thread we need to be careful about dried heat paste that transfers heat from the CPU to the heatsink. Anywho, I want to replace the wait.. duh.. thermal paste on my CPU just for smart system maintenance. I'll probably see if I can access the GPU processor and do it as well. I believe maintenance today, prevents issues down the line in the long run.

Anyone recommend a thermal paste? I recall a silver **** something or other *= I have no idea what the name is. this isn't due to the swear filter ;) .  I've heard of silver something or other and I know to be careful upon application.

Thanks guys. I'll have my Laptop at my dads and can refer to your replies.

many thanks fellas and ladies, if any.

Chrisj1968

Artic Silver

....and don't ... I mean really.  Unless you're suffering increased heating issues (much higher than usual and your CPU/GPU is throttling back due to TDP) ... you're bound to potentially mess something up for little/no gain.  Remember...the whole risk vs. reward.  Thermal paste really doesn't go "bad" per se ... as long as the contact bond is maintained between CPU or GPU and the heatsink (it can dry up in the tube though).

2 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Artic Silver

....and don't ... I mean really.  Unless you're suffering increased heating issues (higher than usual) ... you're bound to potentially mess something up for little/no gain.  Remember...the whole risk vs. reward.

ok, the paste I have on now, is the original paste that was applied at the Toshiba Factory in 2014. November while I was in the hospital. so when would you recommend me to apply new paste if not now? I know at some point I'll have to. I'm not having any noticeable heat issues, but it does get warm when playing games. But that I can understand. I mean I'm fairly anal, speaking about changing the oils in my car.

2 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

ok, the paste I have on now, is the original paste that was applied at the Toshiba Factory in 2014. November while I was in the hospital. so when would you recommend me to apply new paste if not now? I know at some point I'll have to. I'm not having any noticeable heat issues, but it does get warm when playing games. But that I can understand. I mean I'm fairly anal, speaking about changing the oils in my car.

No. You do not need to replace the paste. You'll probably replace the notebook long before you have heating issues due to "bad" paste.

• Like 4

Yeh, for something 2 years old don't replace the paste.

You'd need to be at like 6 years +

Or have been doing some insane Overclocking to need to replace paste after 2 years.

My PC is already at 5 years and the paste is as good as day one.

Until you see heat levels spiking with monitoring software as jj said you're more likely to break something than the maybe 1 degree benefit of new paste.

there are a few different kinds, grease, paste and ceramic/adhesive types which used to be a problem because they would stick the CPU and heatsink together and the CPU would pop out when you pulled the old coolers off (not sure if those thermal pastes are still used or have the same issues).

i've only ever used Arctic Silver 5, which is one of the best, but the problem i seem to have with it is the curing time, 200 hours (or something like that), but even after that time it never seems to reach it's optimum performance and cure.

make sure you have something to clean off the old thermal paste like isopropyl alcohol.

I've had the same paste on my system since I brought it in 2011 and even though I'm running at 4.8 GHz it's running no hotter than the day I brought it. No necessity to mess about with it unless you're seeing heat spikes (and you've cleaned the dust from the fans already).

Arctic Silver 5 is really good, so is Cooler Master Ice Fusion, Arctic MX-2, and Noctuna NT-H1.