Help me "Ward Off" Cortana in its entirety!

Hello Members!

Though Cortana has been turned OFF, yet it continues to gain a Memory footprint as evident within Task-Manager!?

Please refer to the enclosed Pictorial description, & help me suggest ways to "Ward OFF" the Shadow of Cortana entirely!

"End Task" appears dismal as the respective GHOST of Cortana returns within the blink of eye!

Guide on some Holy sermon to shoo away the evil-spirit in its entirety! :-)

Thank you. :-) 

zl4lbCr[1].jpg

You can wait until October and then sign up for one license for Windows 10 Enterprise E3. Yes, you will be able to lease one license of Windows 10 E3. It lets you control your own computer for $7 per month.  This sucks for those of us used to having full control over our Windows PC's. But, it's a new day at Microsoft. 

saurabhdua , there are a variety of ways to disable/uninstall Cortana  however if you ever search for files, killing Cortana will completely remove your ability to use search. If you uninstall Cortana via power shell, you may not be able to reinstall it later. 

That said, no matter what the action you take, Microsoft can (and likely will)  just re-enable (or reinstall) Cortana at any time via Windows Update.

36 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

Hello Members!

Though Cortana has been turned OFF, yet it continues to gain a Memory footprint as evident within Task-Manager!?

Please refer to the enclosed Pictorial description, & help me suggest ways to "Ward OFF" the Shadow of Cortana entirely!

"End Task" appears dismal as the respective GHOST of Cortana returns within the blink of eye!

Guide on some Holy sermon to shoo away the evil-spirit in its entirety! :-)

Thank you. :-) 

zl4lbCr[1].jpg

I tried to locate Cortana in in services and it doesn't exist.

11 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

saurabhdua , there are a variety of ways to disable/uninstall Cortana  however if you ever search for files, killing Cortana will completely remove your ability to use search. If you uninstall Cortana via power shell, you may not be able to reinstall it later. 

That said, no matter what the action you take, Microsoft can (and likely will)  just re-enable (or reinstall) Cortana at any time via Windows Update.

But with MSFT's recent actions of forced installation against turning off features, sorry if my wording is off, but Cortana will come back and be running with each successive build update. 

OP: I wouldn't worry about it. Cortana will only use what it can. So yours may be showing up as 40MB, but mine's currently idling at 1MB. Remember, RAM is there to be used.

• Like 2

Hello +Circaflex!

Mine is a Single-Language HOME edition, & even the "Windows Search" service has  been Disabled to derive the anticipated outcome but to no avail!

Cortana continues to prey on my System resources! Mine is a Humble Windows PC with a dismal score of 3.6 against Windows Experience Index.

Help me get hold of this situation as a Real-Administrator rather than only a Mute-spectator! :-)

3 minutes ago, saurabhdua said:

Cortana continues to prey on my System resources! Mine is a Humble Windows PC with a dismal score of 3.6 against Windows Experience Index.

What's the boxes actual specs? Let's see if it is worth your time stopping things.

Dear +Zag L.,

Please suggest on the various measures to fulfill the Objective?

I never make use of in-built search utility & always rely on LAUNCHY to Index & access of what is really required!

It won't matter to me even if it ends up in parting the ways with Cortana on a permanent basis.

Please go ahead...

Thanks.

13 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

What's the boxes actual specs? Let's see if it is worth your time stopping things.

Hello +MikeChipshop!

Please refer to the same as enclosed, & suggest if anything else is required?

Help Chop-off Cortana from my System.

aVhL9w2[1].jpg

My System is merely a 2-Year old purchase & the Last Stress Test had compared it to a "Log of Wood hovering on Water!" :-) & yet it indicated that System's overall Health status is GOOD!

I were left dumbstruck! 

8 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Technically Group Policy is not built into Home Edition.

Dear xendrome,

Thanks to "O&O ShutUp"...by German Creators that I were able to turn off many "Frivolous" features of Windows 10 in a snap!

O&O made it possible by using Group-Policy over Home-edition.

That's how I turned OFF Cortana...but its Memory-footprint still continues to sustain.  

14 minutes ago, chrisj1968 said:

or Home.

Here's where Cortana is located. delete the folder?

2jebk2p.png

I would advise gainst this and just use that app I posted. It will just disabled it and stop it from running. If you remove it , MS when the next CU comes along may fail.

22 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

The latest Upgrade does not permit using GP to do that any longer in Pro

Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607

Microsoft locks some Group Policy options to Enterprise editions in Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Or you can use this

Try Winaero Tweaker now

It works, I used it

.co.PNG

I had no such issues disabling it via group policy, 

Capture.PNG

Microsoft doesn’t want you to disable Cortana. You used to be able to turn Cortana off in Windows 10, but Microsoft removed that easy toggle switch in the Anniversary Update. But you can still disable Cortana via a registry hack or group policy setting. This transforms the Cortana box into a “Search Windows” tool for local application and file searches.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chrisj1968 said:

I found this. http://superuser.com/questions/949569/can-i-completely-disable-cortana-on-windows-10 

however seems like MSFT hamfisted cortana to run in the background. People just want to recover their system resources no matter how trivial.

Yes, lets recover 40MB of ram! /s

BTW your info/topic is from LAST YEAR and might not apply to the latest update.

1 minute ago, Circaflex said:

Capture.PNG

I found it you have to look under search. I used that app but then I put it back as the weather was not showing on My Lock Screen. It does not really use that much resources.

30 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

The latest Upgrade does not permit using GP to do that any longer in Pro

Disable Cortana in Windows 10 Anniversary Update version 1607

Microsoft locks some Group Policy options to Enterprise editions in Windows 10 Anniversary Update

Or you can use this

Try Winaero Tweaker now

It works, I used it

.co.PNG

8 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Capture.PNG

Disabling it only works with the Enterprise editions. Both of these methods do absolutely nothing on Home & Pro editions if you are using version 1607. 

Just now, LimeMaster said:

Disabling it only works with the Enterprise editions. Both of these methods do absolutely nothing on Home & Pro editions if you are using version 1607. 

You wanna bet?

1 minute ago, LimeMaster said:

I have no cortana on my search, nor does it respond to any cortana commands. seems like it is working.