Can't change Windows 10 Apps save location to a different drive

Settings > Systems > Storage

Under "Save locations", I can only choose "This PC (C:)"

"Disable installing Windows apps on non-system volumes"  in Local Group Policy Editor is set to Disabled, so it can't be that.

Any ideas?

eb_defaultsavelocal-1.png

eb_defaultsavelocal-2.png

Edited by Elliot B.

What version of W10 ?

I have 1607 and I do not see Storage.  NVM, found it.

I don't know if Back-up options would help you:

backup.jpg

Edited by Hum

Just taking shots in the dark, the other drives are bitlocked are they? Have no idea if Windows Apps can live on a bitlocked drive. Go to apps & features and choose and individual app and see if it will allow you to move it to one of the other drives.

This is a Microsoft answer:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/cannot-change-install-location-of-apps-in-windows/fd9efca0-1b34-45de-bed9-e9b42b24aaae?auth=1

The ability to do that wasn't present in the original release of Windows 10.  It got added in November of last year.

If you don't have the ability, you're either 5 months out of date, or your don't have a second valid drive to install things to.

Make sure you're using version 1511 and that you have another hard drive location installed, then the menu will light up like this:

Hope that helps.

Edited by Hum

6 hours ago, MorganX said:

Just taking shots in the dark, the other drives are bitlocked are they? Have no idea if Windows Apps can live on a bitlocked drive. Go to apps & features and choose and individual app and see if it will allow you to move it to one of the other drives.

I've never used BitLocker.

6 hours ago, Hum said:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/cannot-change-install-location-of-apps-in-windows/fd9efca0-1b34-45de-bed9-e9b42b24aaae?auth=1

The ability to do that wasn't present in the original release of Windows 10.  It got added in November of last year.

If you don't have the ability, you're either 5 months out of date, or your don't have a second valid drive to install things to.

Make sure you're using version 1511 and that you have another hard drive location installed, then the menu will light up like this:

Hope that helps.

I am running 1607 (build 14393.105) (Anniversary Update).

And as in the second screenshot, I have plenty of drives to install to.

I don't really understand why I can't install to a second drive.

I may just reinstall Windows.

6 hours ago, Hum said:

Hope that helps.

I quickly skimmed your link. There are several people with the same issue...

It looks like you won't get the option if Windows does not like something about the other drives but the "something" is kept secret presumably so the user is not overloaded with too much information in the silly minimalist style "designers" use these days...

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/cannot-change-install-location-of-apps-in-windows/fd9efca0-1b34-45de-bed9-e9b42b24aaae?page=6

"Found the problem, the SD card wasn't fast enough. Tried a pen drive and it worked perfectly.Beware ebay...card was a fake."

The OP does NOT have that problem, just saying that Windows thinks there is a problem and wants you to guess!

If the problem is "real" then a re-install of Windows won't help...

Unless there is a connection problem with his drives, all he has to do is change storage locations the old-fashion way:

Right-click on Documents [music, videos] Properties, Location tab, Find Target, select drive, Apply, OK.

1 minute ago, Hum said:

Unless there is a connection problem with his drives, all he has to do is change storage locations the old-fashion way:

Right-click on Documents [music, videos] Properties, Location tab, Find Target, select drive, Apply, OK.

1) hope that works

2) It would still raise a red flag for me if the "proper" screen was still missing the drives

3) I have an external USB showing up on that list and would never want it to be select-able so there should be some different color or icon to mark and caution the user on removable drives.

4 hours ago, Hum said:

I don't understand what you mean.

The drop-downs in the 'Save locations' section is just supposed to show entire drives; WIndows then creates WindowsApps and WUDownloadCache folders on the root, I believe.

Aren't your instructions just setting the locations for the various special folders (Music, Videos etc.)?

33 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

The drop-downs in the 'Save locations' section is just supposed to show entire drives; WIndows then creates WindowsApps and WUDownloadCache folders on the root, I believe.

Aren't your instructions just setting the locations for the various special folders (Music, Videos etc.)?

That is exactly what he is saying - It might be temporarily useful to do that.

Based on my previous post, maybe you could run drive diagnostics, disk scan, etc to see if there is something odd about the drives. Also update the SATA driver to the latest version from Intel etc.

1 hour ago, Elliot B. said:

I thought your goal was to Save personal files to other drives ? [Documents, Pictures, Music, Video]

If you are trying to install programs to other drives, you must Install them there.

Many people want the Programs running from the main, SSD drive, and the Saved personal files recorded on a regular hard drive.

Just going to ask my usual question:  What have you disabled or "tweaked"?  Undo any unnecessary  (ie ALL) changes and tweaks and try again 

3 hours ago, DevTech said:

That is exactly what he is saying - It might be temporarily useful to do that.

Based on my previous post, maybe you could run drive diagnostics, disk scan, etc to see if there is something odd about the drives. Also update the SATA driver to the latest version from Intel etc.

I'm running the latest drivers for all my hardware and drive diagnostics for all drives are fine.

2 hours ago, Anibal P said:

Just going to ask my usual question:  What have you disabled or "tweaked"?  Undo any unnecessary  (ie ALL) changes and tweaks and try again 

I haven't adjusted anything.

As above, I'm beginning to think this is an permission issue?

Like, since reinstalling Windows many months ago, the permissions for the non-boot drive were not "updated" to my current user account?

Anyone know how I can check this?

15 hours ago, Elliot B. said:

I'm running the latest drivers for all my hardware and drive diagnostics for all drives are fine.

I haven't adjusted anything.

As above, I'm beginning to think this is an permission issue?

Like, since reinstalling Windows many months ago, the permissions for the non-boot drive were not "updated" to my current user account?

Anyone know how I can check this?

This is the easiest way to set permissions:

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

- skip to the actual repair options

- hit the uncheck-all button

- open the folder permissions tree and select one of your drives

I installed Windows 10 fresh from a build 10586 ISO.

I could select all my drives!

Then I updated to 14393 and only C: is back again.

I'm just putting it down to a Windows 10 bug. Oh well.

16 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

Strange, works here but this unit is on fast ring(14915), but I can select secondary drives under Storage.

22 minutes ago, Elliot B. said:

Until you know the root cause, you could also classify it as a Windows 10 Fix

if there is something odd about your drives, Windows might be preventing or trying to prevent data loss.

Nobody else here is seeing this issue so there is something about your config that is worth fixing perhaps.

9 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Strange, works here but this unit is on fast ring(14915), but I can select secondary drives under Storage.

It is not "strange" that it works ok for you.

Nobody else is seeing his issue, although from searching, other people on the internet seem to rarely run into it and it appears to be a possible hardware issue.

10 minutes ago, DevTech said:

It is not "strange" that it works ok for you.

Nobody else is seeing his issue, although from searching, other people on the internet seem to rarely run into it and it appears to be a possible hardware issue.

Strange is still the word I would use to describe his issue. Clean install worked, upgraded and now it wont. To me that is strange.

On 9/12/2016 at 7:22 PM, Circaflex said:

Strange is still the word I would use to describe his issue. Clean install worked, upgraded and now it wont. To me that is strange.

LOL - that's the flexibility of the English Language I guess.

He has a completely repeatable problem that behaves consistently across a clean Windows install.

So it is not one of those "strange" impossible to reproduce issues that vanish when you reinstall Windows.

6 minutes ago, DevTech said:

LOL - that's the flexibility of the English Language I guess.

He has a completely repeatable problem that behaves consistently across a clean Windows install.

So it is not one of those "strange" impossible to reproduce issues that vanish when you reinstall Windows.

eb4.jpg