Faulty GPU?

I recently sold a PC to a friend with a AMD Radeon 7970 3GB Mhz Edition.. He has complained that he has started seeing some strange things on display, weird graphics, the odd freeze.

Here is one example attached

14315990_10157442546430704_1658609353_o.

Not the best image - I am referring to the grainy streaks across the page.

Does it look faulty? Is there some software I can use to test if it's faulty? 

After a Google it's not uncommon, some referring to the card being overclocked with AMD Overdrive but is not the case with this card it wasn't even enabled.

Thanks

i would uninstall the drivers, remove the card, clean it and reinstall.

it's likely that the card is defective, but i would try other sources too. that way you can make sure it's the card and not just that game.

17 hours ago, Jason S. said:

i would uninstall the drivers, remove the card, clean it and reinstall.

it's likely that the card is defective, but i would try other sources too. that way you can make sure it's the card and not just that game.

Thanks, it does random stuff on other games too so it's not just that one.

Cant RMA either as it's quite old.

Thanks for the help.

On 9/16/2016 at 4:17 AM, game_over said:

Thanks, it does random stuff on other games too so it's not just that one.

Cant RMA either as it's quite old.

Thanks for the help.

It is possible that the GPU died just after you sold it.

More likely, according to William of Occam, it is a result of selling it.

Some ideas:

1. The computer was probably transported so something could be loose - try unplugging all cards, all ram, extra power cables to GPU, etc  and firmly re-seat them

2. Someone could have handled the GPU card or computer incorrectly can caused damage by static electricity.

3. The new location could be providing insufficient power.

4. Your photo seems to show the type of Texture glitches from overclocking so making sure BIOS settings were not corrupted such as PCIe interface speed etc. Also use the AMD overclock utility to overclock the card and see if the identical glitch just gets worse.

5. Cut the RAM sticks in half, then swap and run the other(s) to see if any change.

4 hours ago, DevTech said:

It is possible that the GPU died just after you sold it.

More likely, according to William of Occam, it is a result of selling it.

Some ideas:

1. The computer was probably transported so something could be loose - try unplugging all cards, all ram, extra power cables to GPU, etc  and firmly re-seat them

2. Someone could have handled the GPU card or computer incorrectly can caused damage by static electricity.

3. The new location could be providing insufficient power.

4. Your photo seems to show the type of Texture glitches from overclocking so making sure BIOS settings were not corrupted such as PCIe interface speed etc. Also use the AMD overclock utility to overclock the card and see if the identical glitch just gets worse.

5. Cut the RAM sticks in half, then swap and run the other(s) to see if any change.

Thanks i'll try those things... hopefully it works as i'll be out of pocket replacing the card. He said it's pretty much been happening since he got it off me so it's only right I replace it... I never noticed any issues prior so just some bad luck unfortunately.

He said something in GTA the lampposts was transforming into flat triangle shapes and then flapping around the screen, and WOW was freezing for a moment when loading the game before it was playable.

My guesses will be #2 and a partial #3. Static discharge zapped the RAM on the Card or the Card isn't getting enough juice. Easiest to check will be the power supply wattage, and making sure the Mainboard the card is connected to supports a card such as this power-wise. Might take a BIOS/UEFI update to fix.

I'll do this too, old parts that I don't use I'll give or sell to friends at a decent price who "aren't the richest people in the world" just to keep 'em somewhat current. It's new to them, anyway. ;) Sorry it's giving them trouble!