Teacher beats up student who owed him money for weed

A Bronx charter-school teacher recruited a student to help him score $4,000 worth of marijuana — and he beat the teen senseless when he found out the kid pocketed the cash, police sources said Friday.

Kevin Pope, 48, also stole the teen’s iPhone and wallet and threatened to sexually assault his mother if he didn’t get his money back, the sources said.

“I will kill you if I don’t get my money!” Pope allegedly told the student after pummeling him. “I want my money in a month!”

Pope, a science teacher at the John V. Lindsay Wildcat Academy in Hunts Point, was arrested at the school Friday morning and charged with assault and robbery in the attack a day earlier.

Pope had asked students around the school back in June if they knew a drug dealer — and they put him in touch with the teen, who promised he could score a large stash of drugs from his contact in Manhattan, sources said.

Pope gave the kid $4,000 for the hefty purchase, the sources said.

The unidentified teen told cops he met the dealer near Central Park but was told that the quantity of drugs he was seeking would cost $7,000, sources said.

The student then blew off the transaction and spent the money, according to the sources.

Three months later, shortly after the start of the new school year, Pope found the teen about two blocks away from the Lafayette Avenue building and demanded that the money be returned, sources said.

When the student said it was gone, Pope allegedly socked him in the face multiple times and took his iPhone 6, gold chain and wallet containing the boy’s school ID and two MetroCards.

A source said that Pope “threatened to have him beat up again and have his mother sexually ­assaulted.”

The student needed three surgical staples to close gashes in the back of his head, sources said.

Sources said the incident is on surveillance video.

The student attends Pope’s school, but it’s unclear if the teen was in that teacher’s class.

A Department of Education spokeswoman directed all questions to the charter school, which declined to comment.

Pope was awaiting arraignment at Bronx Criminal Court on Friday night.

Source

Just now, restroom said:

School changed a lot since my day!

All I got back then was shouted at and a letter home to the parents if I was late or smelt like id been smoking!

Were you selling weed and pocketing the cash? Different circumstances, I'd say.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 4:03 AM, Hum said:

Yeah, marijuana never hurt anyone. :/

In this case, if you wanna get technical, it's money that hurt someone, teen could've just given the cash back and left it at that, but nope, had to go spend it, probably on more stupid stuff.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2016 at 10:38 AM, neufuse said:

man, it's good to see these charter schools are drastically safer and more drug free then public schools..........

I thought these charter schools were the ones that held the students who were kicked out of normal public schools..
TBH - I dont have kids & dont know how the whole public school thing works.

I had heard through facebook that the high school I went to now has a permanent onsite gang unit from local police dept.  and metal detectors @ every entrance. - That came as a shocker, but in all honesty that whole city has become an armpit.
Home to the most loathsome group of thugs in the public eye... the Dallas Cowboys!  (Arlington, TX)

6 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

I thought these charter schools were the ones that held the students who were kicked out of normal public schools..
TBH - I dont have kids & dont know how the whole public school thing works.

I had heard through facebook that the high school I went to now has a permanent onsite gang unit from local police dept.  and metal detectors @ every entrance. - That came as a shocker, but in all honesty that whole city has become an armpit.
Home to the most loathsome group of thugs in the public eye... the Dallas Cowboys!  (Arlington, TX)

where I went to school we have a "special" school for those students its kind of charter but part of the district too... it's odd..... its basically kicked out students only.... and they have so much security now it's ridiculous... and we aren't even a high crime area, they only have it because of grants that were available and freaked out parents bombarding the school board after every school shooting to "prevent it in our schools".....