DesktopWeather Beta 1

Question

The program is really cool. I got it running right now. I went to the Weather Channel website to see if they agreed and the do, exactly. Either you get your weather from them or they get it from the same place you do. One thing I noticed is the partly cloudy icon for the night time weather. Is there some way you can get a different icon for day and night there? I noticed the ones for clear and mostly clear are there. On the weather channel website there is an icon for partly cloudy a night. The icons they use seem to be the same ones that you use. My zip is 04401 if you need somewhere that is partly cloudy tonight. Thanks for the cool program.:D

Very nice start on this. Great idea for a desktop version (I use a program called Weather Watcher that looks similiar, but is a window). As soon as you get the bugs worked out, it most likely will have a permanent place on my desktop!

Now if you could just make something for TV listings :D (I used to use Excite Messenger, but they went out with sellout...)

Few bugs so far:

1. if i press "show desktop" the program minimizes until i open another window, then it restores itself
  2. the zip code doesn't write to the INI file. i had to go in and edit it myself.
  3. drag and drop is definetly needed. i had to play with random numbers to get it aligned where i wanted.

as i said earlier, very sweet matrox. i've been running it all day. once it stopped responding, couldn't figure out why. if i had to ask for one feature request it would be to have like a "sync now" button. i don't need it refreshing all the time, but if i'm about to walk out, it would be nice to have it update when you request, so you can get up to the date info. keep up the good work, i'm looking forward to beta 2!

cheers,

joe

Originally posted by BroChaos  

as i said earlier, very sweet matrox.  i've been running it all day.  once it stopped responding, couldn't figure out why.  if i had to ask for one feature request it would be to have like a "sync now" button.  i don't need it refreshing all the time, but if i'm about to walk out, it would be nice to have it update when you request, so you can get up to the date info.   keep up the good work, i'm looking forward to beta 2!

cheers,

joe

If you doubleclick on the program, you can select refresh and it does exactly what you said you wanted it to do.

Wow, great work. I can't wait until it has more features. You are planning on making it fully customizable correct? You should also make it with the new .NET framework :)

Again, awesome job, I await future betas!

Who is the girl in your wallpaper in the screen shot on your site and where can I get more? She's hot as hell.

Also.. How do you get all of that information like the calendar, and system usage information? Is that to come or is that in a different version of yours?

Matrox/DigitalJ: lol, yeah i realized that about a half hour later, and i came to edit my post and call myself a dumb@ss, but then everything was busted. hehe, so ummm, yeah, nevermind mind that comment. :p

cheers,

joe

Icon needed for DesktopWeather. Please check the post Here. The next version is almost ready, and this is the only thing that is holding me up. I would make one myself, but I really suck at art. Please help me out here. Thanks

-Matrox

Could you please post the error message. Try the link I posted for correct runtimes earlier. I beleive this will fix the error, but I am not sure because I do not know what ocx you need. Please post error message.

-Matrox

GwaRGuITaR, what do you mean by adding Transparency? It is already fully transparent on the desktop.

Could someone please post those error message? I would like to get the problem fixed before I release Beta 2.

I am still in need of a Icon. Please!?!?!?

nicedreams: Her name is Josie Maran.

-Matrox

It does not start at all, it just says that the application is not responding in Windows XP pro. I would reccomend to go to Delphi instead of Visual Basic so it does not have that problem.

zivan56, before you Control-Alt-Delete, give it about 30 secs (although it should not take that long). You get a "Not Responding" because the application is busy parsing the incoming data. When you run the program you wont see anything until the data parsing is complete. Then it should work fine. Let me know if this does not work.

-Matrox

This is one of the best programs I've seen in a while. Works flawlessly on XP.Pro.2600 for me. Was fun figuring out the postioning scheme ;) . Thanks for the release. Keep up the good work.

its a really cool program.

it would be even better if you could switch from F to Celcius.

and include canada !!!

peace

-------

this trend for cool desktop apps continues - smartclock - raincalendar - coolinfo - now this :cool:

Originally posted by lightstar  

Does anyone know the color code to put in the .ini file to change the text to white?  Thanks in advance!

You should be able to double-click on the program area and select "Change Font Color". You'll get a palette and you can choose the color you want.

P.S.: My text is white and the color code is 16777215

Originally posted by Euphoria  

Nope, it did not work for me. Here is the error I got:

Component 'COMDLG32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

Same error here ... even after the VBRuntime files (fix) you posted.

Euphoria, thanks for posting error. Its now fixed for beta 2. It will be released real soon. I am still waiting on an icon though :(

If anyone can make one please post.

-Matrox

I've tried creating a couple of icons, but they are horrible, and thats not modesty. They suck. Please though, the program is great and I hate to think that you are holding up the next beta for an icon. Please release it even if you cant get a good icon right away. Also, did you expand the graphics on this beta? I live in a place that is cold, cloudy, snowy, windy, and rainy and I have been getting a lot of N/A graphics. I look at the weather channel and thay have graphics for each of them, so i think it would be pretty easy. Thanks for the great program and I can't wait to see it develop.:D