Letter from bill gates

Yeah thats about as real as my 2 spare passports!

He never refers to himself as William anyhow! Sheesh - some kid will have written that, and it's plainly obvious.

Also, he does have an email @ microsoft (or at least his office does - it's probably just a PR address) but it is bill.gates@ not william.gates@

SMG. I don't think he even get involved to be honest. He doesn't need to be involved, MS has people to run pretty much everything.

Neostyle: It mentions WinXP2 (LOL), so some kid got confused. Maybe they thought that was Longhorn?

dougkinzinger, how can you claim that no microsoft email address is longer than six chartacters?

I have contacts at microsoft that use longer email addresses at microsoft.com all the time!

Hmm....perhaps you do, but I'll bet that it's not their primary reply address. I don't get why they do it that way, but if you say you've got some, then maybe they're (finally) changing.

• 2 weeks later...

From http://www.ihatewindowsxp.com/frames/index.html

REMOTE_ADDR: 207.61.124.189

HTTP_USER_AGENT: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 5.5; Windows NT 4.0; H010818)

Notice the IP address and browser version above.  The IP is from

Tone Networks Ltd. TNLB1129-CA (Bell Canada) and "Bill" is using an

outdated 5.5 version of his browser?  And you'd think old Bill would have a spell checker, too.

You be the judge!  Sure made me laugh, though.

I can't believe the original poster thought it was real.

Why not post the message including full headers?

Because it was sent through a form that was filled out on the site. There's a form to contact the owner that you can fill out. So, no message headers--just a logging of their IP and user agent.

Say, why is this in the longhorn forum anyway?