.CAB file Extract

Question

Does anyone out there know how to extract files from a .cab file. I've got this out application that I'd like to take a look at without installing it. I can't install it because the install file uses an old 16-bit driver that gives me an error message every time I try to install. I use Windows XP and don't want to go to all the trouble of installing Windows 98. Can someone tell me how to extract the contents of a .cab file?

17 answers to this question

It says that it's an unknown file format or is corrupted. I know it's not corrupted because I've downloaded it from many different sources many times. It says it's a .cab file.

I see you are using i6comp.

You need data1.cab, data2.cab, and data1.hdr. If you do not have all three you can't extract it all. If you extracted an InstallShield installer, it should have all three. If you deleted them, extract it again and i6comp them.

I've haven't deleted and files from the Installsheild file. I extracted the folder from the Installsheild program called "disk1" there are three .CAB files, "_sys1.CAB", "_user.CAB", and "data1.CAB". There are no others.

Ah, I see. You need the .HDR file in order to extract what's in the .CAB file. That's a strange way of doing it. Why do it that way?

From http://www.kyz.uklinux.net/cabextract.php:

Q: I can't extract this DATA1.CAB file...

A: There are two different "cabinet" file formats in popular use. Some are Microsoft cabinets, which can be unpacked with cabextract. Others are InstallShield cabinets, which can be unpacked with unshield. You can distinguish the two files like so:

InstallShield cabinets are normally called data1.cab and have a matching data1.hdr file.

InstallShield cabinets begin with the magic ID "ISc(". Microsoft cabinets begin with the magic ID "MSCF".

Unpacking an InstallShield cabinet with cabextract 0.6 gives the error message "not a Microsoft cabinet file". cabextract 1.0 gives the warning "WARNING; found InstallShield header. This is probably an InstallShield file. Use UNSHIELD (http://synce.sf.net) to unpack it." and the error message "no valid cabinets found".