MP4 ACC Encoding

OGG > AAC > MP3

However you will probably find that AAC is supported more in the future so it is best to use it rather than vorbis

tend to disagree ACC is the best format when you cant do loseless.

,Mar 25 2004, 17:02] tend to disagree ACC is the best format when you cant do loseless.

You are correct but vorbis is open source, that gives it more of an advantage than a bit more quality in my eyes

You are correct but vorbis is open source, that gives it more of an advantage than a bit more quality in my eyes

how so? :huh:

Because it is usable in home grown software without fear of death from major corp x

For my own personal use, yes AAC is the best because major corp y pays the licence for me :D

• 2 weeks later...

I can't tell the difference between 128kbps AAC and 192kbps mp3, and AAC takes up less space so I'm using AAC from now on. Especially since I ordered an iPod mini. ;)

I can't tell the difference between 128kbps AAC and 192kbps mp3, and AAC takes up less space so I'm using AAC from now on. Especially since I ordered an iPod mini. ;)

Really? I find 128kbit AAC not enough. It doesn't sound too good to me.

If you compare the streams from iTMS and the Real musicstore you can clearly hear that the Real musicstore has better quality (192kbit AAC). Personally I encode all my music in 192-256 VBR kbit MP3 (with LAME). I find that sounding the best (but that is pure based on my own preference). OGG sounds like my music is in a tin can... very weird, but I don't like the format.

AAC is great, though as everything I have is in MP3, I'll just keep using LAME to encode my music to MP3.

Sure AAC is better then MP3, I am not questioning that. I only say that I didn't find 128kbit AAC impressive at all, the iTMS files aren't that good. I find 192kbit a bare minimum.... especially when I have to pay for it and when it is protected with DRM.

,Mar 25 2004, 12:02] tend to disagree ACC is the best format when you cant do loseless.

Exactly.

And if you want something really good, do lossless like shn, flac, wavepack

I personally live flac with EAC, the best

I've heard that the next release of the Nero AAC encoder is going to have some major improvement (bearing in mind it's pretty good already!)

Ben

Especially in low bitrates, like 64k low. They say it's the best by a fair margin at these bitrates.

Higher bitrates won't benefit quite as much.

I rip 192k or higher all the time so it won't impact me very much at all.

I only say that I didn't find 128kbit AAC impressive at all, the iTMS files aren't that good. I find 192kbit a bare minimum.... especially when I have to pay for it and when it is protected with DRM.

Ever thought of the idea that you only THINK that it sounds bad, because you actually know it's compressed? Why do think that the guys over at HA insist on ABX tests to backup claims?

And regarding iTunes... well, it's quasi a fact that it has suboptimal settings. Using Quicktime directly to compress files apparently puts out better files. iTunes supposedly uses long blocks only. If you can listen the difference or not is a different thing.