Fastest Web language

Question

I am going to build a e-comerice website and I was hopping for input onf the best web language to build the website in?

Right now I don't know if we are going to use a database. If I use a database would php be faster than html?

While I appreciate the comments from robinmthomas, I think I can speak for myself. :)

I never said one platform is better than the other, I just think companies are better than other companies. I have no problem with Open Source as far as the developer community it creates. I do have a problem when people form companies with no business sense and base the company around a product or products which are economically not viable. A company will not last or at least not perform well with little to no revenue or income. The reason Open Source companies can't create real revenue is because they have to offer the software for free under the open source agreements.

Even Sun and Oracle have recognized that the software-as-a-service model is an efficient model for the future of technology. And yet it's this strategy that Open Source/Linux fans shout down when Microsoft proposes it. It's called capitalism and economics.

So, my beef is with software and services offered by these free-be companies who I know, based on experience and economic history, will not suceed in the long run. Regardless if they are superior or inferior products, I will always choose a company who is stable and I can trust will be around.

And that doesn't have to be Microsoft, like robinmthomas said, there are others who are stable as well that I would use first, regardless if their offerings were better or worse than the Open Source/Linux/"everything is free crowd".

And if you ever find yourself in a company IT department, I would hope you could balance the up-front costs of more expensive products from a solid company against the long-term costs of maintaining or upgrading software from a company who will go out of business in the future.

iUk

Just going to throw this in here:

http://www.netcraft.com/survey/

Apache leads webservers by almost double the rest. And the gap is growing.

I used to program ASP but it was slow and cumbersome.

Switched to PHP and never looked back.

I have no opinion on native compiled apps, but there is this thing called the Zend Optimiser. It basically caches the compilations of the php scripts on the server (think JIT caching), and does a few tricks to speed some other things up.

I suppose it all comes down to personal preference, but to get back on the topic (yes, there is one up there...), I think php would be fine and is more than secure for what you want to do. HTTPS and sessions should be good enough for your purposes and a MySQL db will do all the functionality you need without the bloat to slow you down...

How is PHP more secure?

That statement doesn't make any sense. Security is handled by the programmer, not the language.

Programmers write bad/insecure code, not the language.

iUK,

Microsoft is embracing open standards like XML and SOAP and will continue to do more in the future to create a platform of services that are based on open standards.

Hold on here, if there's one company on earth disregarding open-standard, it would be MS. What about ADS, hmm? Yep built on the X.500 standard that Novell also implemented. But the difference is, ADS only supports MS prods and the NDS (Novell) supports all existing OS's.

And MS uses SOAP a little different than SOAP was defined.

(try to connect to a Delphi SOAP service with a MS product, no go without adjusting the WDSL)..

I'm not willing to build my applications and bet the future on a dot-com-like "give it away for free" GPL-restricted company's software or services. I'll stick with the company that is economically viable and will be here in 10 to 20 years...

You obviously don't know what the status of Borland is. And it looks like you only looked at the personal editions of Delphi/Kylix where distributing commercially is not allowed.

Your Linux boxes might be able to do what Microsoft software can do, maybe even a little better, but I'll stick with the company that will be around to support it a decade from now.

Hmmm, well have you tried to install a Verite Rendition (Diamon Stealth II S220) videocard? It isn't older than 5 years, but MS decided to drop support.

Borland will be around in a decade too. And I won't stick to a single development language, I just choose the best of all.

Almost forgot; PHP isn't any more secure than an ISAPI or ASP application. Every environment has it flaws..