Introductory guide for Windows customization II

well im saving that guide, n will mail it to every local dummy who approaches me with the question.....

this will lesssen a little headache.... n provide more options to ppl as well.

coz until now the only customization tip I gave to a nooBe dummy was to DESKTOP-> right click, properties :rolleyes:

after that use Style XP for 30 days n after that a shell pack.... :cool:

Thanx man.

edit: btw thats how my desktop looks with hacked uxtheme.dll after 1 month of Style XP. post-93478-1107351106_thumb.jpg

Edited by easternBrain

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is a cross-reference chart for the different parts of the msstyles.dll file? For example ButtonDkShadow is also known as DkShadow3d or GreyText is also known as MenuDisabledText depending on where you look.

• 3 months later...

I'm trying to use Toolbar Control...but it won't let me.

I already installed it by clicking setup.exe...Then when I click toolbarcontrol a new menu appears. After 1 second of being on the menu it exits out of the menu by itself.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I live to skin. I'm certain this will get me rolling on system skins the right direction as forums are way cool to skin, but systems look like so much more fun.

Thanks.

plz tell me how to change the font of VS .

There isn't the fonts I like here , so I can't choose :( .

Sorry for my poor Eng (If you can, plz take my mistakes :p )

You can do this easily w/ ResEdit (a freeware from tgtsoft). Open the VS file, change the font to whatever you want.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey... do you know how I can edit the Shell32.dll in Windows XP to put a string so that it shows the "transfer speed" when copying or moving any file just like it does in Vista?

• 2 months later...

Where is "system tasks"? I have used user xp's shellstyle tutorial and could not find this screen. I am trying to do this on Windows XP, when the user clicks the arrow this screen comes down. I am trying to put a picture instead of a color or a gradient. Thank you, John :(

post-156457-1179969227.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found this hugely helpful. I am attempting to do mine today, it needs reformatting so I am having a go, never done this before only the official zune theme so here goes. Thanks for the help :)