return;
}

while (data.eof() == false)
{
// all teh fun
}

edit: Crap I forgot how to do try catch :s

Everything is easy with IntelliSense! :laugh:

I started with.... QBasic back on my 286 when I was like 10 or so. 11 years later I'm programming in ASP.NET with C# for work. I took Computer Science using C++.

None of it is all that bad if you ask me. VB is arguably "easier" to use, but I really find it harder to keep organized and not really much easier for someone who is new to read.

Edit: Just realized how far back this topic goes. Haha, oh well. I'm gonna see if I already replied to this a year or two ago and see what I said then :p

Hey, I saw this thread so I decided to post here

I got Visual Basic Express 2005 the other day, and I really don't know where to begin. What language does this program use??? Where can I get started on learning the language?

Basically, I want to learn a language that is powerful, but not stupidly hard to understand

I understand quite a bit of HTML, will that help?

I got Visual Basic Express 2005 the other day, and I really don't know where to begin. What language does this program use??? Where can I get started on learning the language?

VB 2005 is using the Visual Basic .NET language. There are gazillions of online tutorials and courses, if you're a complete noob I recommend you this video lessons:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/vb/learning/

And of course, if you want to learn more you can always get a good book...

So, what was Windows written in?

I mean like, the core OS. I've been thinking about it, and it feels like "the chicken or the egg" to me.

Whats the most powerful programming language out of interest?

John :)

The reason I asked is because I know exactly nothing about programming, but i'm looking to learn (Y)

There's no time limit i'm setting myself, so difficulty isnt a factor, if it takes me years to master, it takes me years, I dont really care.

The most important thing is that I learn a language that leaves me the most functional. I'm not looking to learn several language's or anything, just a single language that I can have the most potential with, that I can do the most with, if you know what I mean?

I'm guessing thats C++ from what i've read?

What do you guys think?

John :)

The most important thing is that I learn a language that leaves me the most functional. I'm not looking to learn several language's or anything, just a single language that I can have the most potential with, that I can do the most with, if you know what I mean?

I'm guessing thats C++ from what i've read?

What do you guys think?

Interfacing languages is what most programming is about these days. :cry:

Also, if you are going to learn C++. I strongly recommend learning C first to understand the basics, especially pointers and pointer arithmetic. After that, the only things to learn in C++ are the object-oriented programming (OOP) concepts and the abilities of the Standard Template Library (STL).

Java or C#, hands down. They have the most intuitive syntax I've seen. Mind you, I've never touched Ruby, so I can't compare with that, and I've heard it's a very good language. Anyway, as far as I've seen, Java and C# are great.

I can really recommend Python as a first language because:

-it is easy to learn and forces you to write readable programs.

-it comes with "batteries included" which means that it contains functionality for doing a lot of things that you will do pretty often.

-it is fully object-oriented. Let's face it: at the moment, object-oriented is THE paradigm. You don't have to know what a paradigm is, just think of object-orientation as a feature of a language that makes it pretty easy to express even complex ideas.

Of course others might suggest you start with other languages but I really like Python (Ruby is also quite cool). Here's a tutorial that will get you started: http://swaroopch.info/text/Byte_of_Python:Main_Page

I can really recommend Python as a first language because:

-it is easy to learn and forces you to write readable programs.

-it comes with "batteries included" which means that it contains functionality for doing a lot of things that you will do pretty often.

-it is fully object-oriented. Let's face it: at the moment, object-oriented is THE paradigm. You don't have to know what a paradigm is, just think of object-orientation as a feature of a language that makes it pretty easy to express even complex ideas.

Of course others might suggest you start with other languages but I really like Python (Ruby is also quite cool). Here's a tutorial that will get you started: http://swaroopch.info/text/Byte_of_Python:Main_Page

Apologies if this question doesnt make any sense or is just stupid, but if I was to learn python, could I make programs for Windows XP?

I have some C++ exposure and some scripting languges. I was thinking of being a programmer at one point and took it up as a hobbiest of sorts.

Now I'm graduating university in with a Liberal Arts major. I do have some uses for a programming language on my own time for processing regular expressions, and manipulating SQL commands and MySQL or similar database. I'm not building an OS, I'm not making shareware programs.

Can someone make a recommendation. One caveat: I found C++ style programming pretty easy until it gets to the OOP stuff. Then I get Totally lost no matter the book or the explanation. Please consider this when making a recommendation.

Is there a language you can recommend with C++ style syntax that handles reg ex better. I know SED kinda well. As a non-professional, I'd rather just learn one langauge that does everything well then focus on stupid little languages for each task.

And I work from a Mac - no Windows.

I started off by learning how to using mIRC's scripting language (mIRC = an irc client). Then moved onto visual basic, then delphi. Now I use C# and C++ - C++ when I want to create fast, powerful applications. C# for simplistic things.