Doodle Head

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 20 July 2002 - 00:57

Thanks! I might try to learn it :cool:

#17 ad.J

ad.J

Neowinian

Posted 20 July 2002 - 05:43

I started learning HTML and the components when I was 7, but i'm trying to learn PHP/Perl and C++ at the same time. Does learning PHP and Perl take a while to learn, or should I start C++ first? I got enough money for books and such. And I only need a few more bucks towards my iBook savings.

(i'm 12 right now)

#18 Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Neowinian

Posted 11 August 2002 - 15:55

I recently saw MS VC++ .Net. Can anyone explain why someone would want to use the .Net version? Is it the next version after 7 or is it a whole other kettle of fish?

#19 Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Neowinian

Posted 11 August 2002 - 16:02

Originally posted by DeathLace

Vi3tboi911 if you don't mind spending a little cash to buy a intro book to C++ try "A Guide To Programming in C++" by Tim Corica, Beth Brown and Bruce Presley

Published by: Lawrenceville Press

Does this book assume you will be using a Visual C++ program or doing everything in plain text? I was thinking it would be best for me to learn the language first before moving to a Visual program.

#20 Prasanth

Prasanth

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 August 2002 - 16:05

Originally posted by Chewbacca

I recently saw MS VC++ .Net. Can anyone explain why someone would want to use the .Net version? Is it the next version after 7 or is it a whole other kettle of fish?

MS Vc++.net = 7.0

#21 Chewbacca

Chewbacca

Neowinian

Posted 13 August 2002 - 04:55

Originally posted by prasanth

MS Vc++.net = 7.0

So with MS VC++ .net you can do everything VC++ 6 can do plus all the extra .net features? At this time I'm not interested in .net but if I can do everything else in it ok then I might look into the .net version.

#22 +DrunkenMaster

DrunkenMaster

Neowinian Elite

Posted 21 September 2002 - 22:39

If you want a bit of advice don't do what I did.

When I was 16-17 I used to copy straight out of a C++ book and not learn all the concepts (some of it stuck with me). I was learning on my own time and never expected todo computer science in school. Now I really have to know all the concepts soundly. If you're going to learn any comp language for any useful purpose, get a good book which will teach you the concepts really well.

DrunkenMasters C++ Programmer's book of the month is:

(its a bit old ;) )

C++ Primer Plus by Steven Prata is my personal fave. Its one of the few complete programming books which really goes through the basics very clearly in plain language to start which is what you really need. Avoid the 24 hour or dummies books.

#23 Li_Lee

Li_Lee

X

Posted 16 November 2002 - 18:28

Just to check is the book "C by Example" by Greg Perry ???? :blink:

#24 xWeston

xWeston

Rickshaw Driver

Posted 16 November 2002 - 18:31

Just to check... amazon.com.

yes

C By Example

#25 Li_Lee

Li_Lee

X

Posted 16 November 2002 - 18:34

would this one be as good as the one you just had a link to...

http://www.amazon.co...3327872-0470060

#26 <TSS>

<TSS>

Neowinian

Posted 09 February 2003 - 11:21

I started with QBasic on the age of 7/8. Then I got VBasic. But now I want to get on with C++ too.

Is C++ with my php-knowledge really so much easier??

And what's better of C++ than VB??

thanks already..

btw, I apologize for my terrible English (I'm Dutch, you see)

#27 f8tal

f8tal

namaste

Posted 24 March 2003 - 23:20

i have a good site for not only c++ but also other programming books. chck it out: http://www.howtos.nl

#28 NeoSigma

NeoSigma

porschephile

Posted 31 March 2003 - 18:11

I studied Java first, went pretty deep into it and things made sense and now I'm going to C++ so I can give this whole .net thing a try. I recommend Java first, it's everything in C++ without the complicated stuff, syntax is almost indenticle.

#29 CyBeRiA

CyBeRiA

Neowinian

Posted 22 April 2003 - 02:59

Forget scripting/markup languages to begin with. Worry about them later. They're pretty much irrelevant when it comes to programming (i.e., don't worry about HTML, CSS, XML, XHTML, DHTML, etc...).

Honestly, start with a classic beginner's language, either C++ or Java. I learned C++ first, but Java is a good first language too. I would stay away from C until you get a handle on C++, then go to C to get the extra functionality C provides. Then, if you're serious about doing some web work (database driven sites and whatnot), PHP would be really easy to learn. Also, if you learn Java, JSP becomes a real viable option for database driven websites.

Paul.

#30 Trust

Trust

..:: No One ::..

Posted 22 April 2003 - 03:09

(i'm 12 right now)

You have a long... a long way to walk :D

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!