• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Newbie C++ Help

Question

Vi3tboi911    1

Ok, I got inspired today to learn a programing language. I want to learn C++ but I am sitting here with no clue on earth on where to start. Can anyone give me links to newbie tutorials and sites? If you can, please state any tips that you have for me, thanks!

• Like 1

212 answers to this question

bithub    1

Does it create any files after you have compiled the program? Maybe a .obj or .o file?

I believe borland has some free command line tools, also there is Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit which is also free.

MS Visual Toolkit

Borland's compiler

Y2K    0

yeah ill check that stuff out thanx

Inscite just creates one file with no extension but it executes javascript inside the editor

Y2K    0

I've got the borland compiler but i cant figure out how to run the thing. whenever i start bcc32.exe it closes itsself before i can do anything with it. I hate console compilers. i treid digital mars too but it was even worse.

jonovate    0
I've got the borland compiler but i cant figure out how to run the thing. whenever i start bcc32.exe it closes itsself before i can do anything with it. I hate console compilers. i treid digital mars too but it was even worse.

Cuz you need to launch it from the command prompt, you cant double click on the exe

Try Dev-C++ so you have a IDE to work with (i havent read the thread, just the last page).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dev-cpp/

azcodemonkey    1

That's because you have to enter in command-line parameters in the same line as the bcc32.exe. You can't just double-click it in explorer.

Try reading the readme file in the \Borland\BCC55 directory or reading the help file in the \Borland\BCC55\Help directory.

Y2K    0

ok. ill try that but i also tried to get microsoft visual C++ but i need XP SP1 first which i cant get for some reason.

post-47-1093730402.jpg

Varsity    0

I use BCC. Here's how I got it to work.

Control Panel > System > Advanced > Env. Variables. At this point, the readme is wrong. You need to add C:\Borland\BCC55\Bin\ to the end of the PATH variable, with a ; to seperate it from the last item.

Create the config files as the readme says (unless you want to type it all in each time, of course! :p).

Go to the folder with your .cpp files (cd <folder>) and type "BCC32 <filename>". It will then compile! That's all there is to it.

Y2K    0

Yay it works

thanks for all the help :D

armedpyro    0

i have not seen any farly good site so my sugestion is to GET A BOOK! :yes:

kerunt    0
Vi3tboi911 if you don't mind spending a little cash to buy a intro book to C++ try "A Guide To Programming in C++" by Tim Corica, Beth Brown and Bruce Presley<br />

Published by: Lawrenceville Press<br />

<br />

When I started to learn C++ I used this book in school, a great book that will really get you going, very easy to learn from too.

Hello, just wanted to say that I also decided to learn C++ a few days ago (Im 16), and this is the book my InformationTechnology teacher lent me for the school year. So far I've found it to be a great book, everything is very well explained and made interesting :)

74081_1437845144    0

:woot: good for u m8 hope u get on well with the laugnuage (easy really aint it :p)

jmhnzax    0

What about Intel C++ Complier?

azcodemonkey    1
What about Intel C++ Complier?

584765684[/snapback]

It's decent, especially for Intel processors. That said, there's nothing wrong with GCC, either, and it's free.

p-man    0

i learned html in 5th grade without much trouble, then my dad taught me basic. I might get into c, c++, and maybe j++

THE BAT    0

i start programming from 5 years ago.

i start with C.

C->C++->VC#->VC++

VB->VB.NET

:laugh:

red8Rain    23

thanks for this thread. got some good resources to re-learn c++. Took c++ back in high school and hated it since. I figure if I want to write my own program, I am going to have to suck it up.

whenever I think of c++ or java, I think of the hot summer days where I struggle like mad to pass my c++ and java course, always bad memories ...

anyways, I read this thread and got the book c++ primer plus 5th edition. I found some errors in the 5th edition already but its still a good book.

lucasdaman    0

Helllo, i am currently learning c++ on my own off the Lawrenceville press c++ textbook, and was wondering is there any resources to the exercises and reviews code? the lvpdatafiles on there webstie do not help, if there are any places that have the code for the exercuises and reviews please reply :yes:

swgame    0

I am studying GUI in Visual C++ 6.0, I am not exactly know how to use this.

Do anyone can help me?

mr_skrilla    0
No worries.  Like I said though, if I were you  I wouldn't take too much time on C - it's an older language now and is primarily used for DOS applications.  You will find the transition between C and C++ easier though if you take the time to familiarise yourself with C.  Are you going to use Borland's C and C++ languages or Microsoft's Visual C++ Language?

201946[/snapback]

C is deffinitely worth learning!

zeta    0
- can do for (int n=0 ....) in a for loop without compiler bitching (i dunno if msvc does it, but gcc does.

1297193[/snapback]

gcc does support it. You have to tell it to use the c99 standard though, using -std=c99.

And to those who claim that C is outdated and only used for DOS applications.... C is still a very popular language, and still widely used in the industry. I suggest you get yourself a little more familiarity with the software industry =P

MrA    6
... id recomend buying The C++ programming language bj Bjarne Stroustrup

1686608[/snapback]

I second this recommendation. It's a great book for completely learning C++. It's not light reading (1019 pages and weighs a bit) and not for the beginner, but once you've got the basics, this book will teach you the rest.

There are several assemblers that are available for free:

1. FASM (The easiest to learn and use, Linux\Win32\DOS) (www.flatassembler.net)

2. MASM (The most popular assembler, Win32\DOS) (www.masm32.com) *

3. TASM (Unsupported, Win32\DOS) (Ask Google)

4. GoAsm (A down-to-earth assembler, Win32) (www.godevtool.com)

Art of Assembly Language (16/32-bit), Randy Hyde, is the most comprehensive book you'll find on assembly language for the Intel 80x86 processors.

Another good book is Assembly language for the IBM PC Family, William Jones.

2105967[/snapback]

Firstly, I would not recommend assembly for a beginner to learn, especially not x86. Secondly, I would not recommend that book (AoA). Thirdly, I would not recommend using TASM or MASM. I've used them both and they both suck. They're full of red tape. If I was to choose between the two, I'd go for TASM, but given the choice to choose another, I'd go for NASM.

Ice-Dragon    0

An Extremely good book for C++ newbies like me is

C++

For Dummies

+SpeedyTheSnail    1,219

The easiest book for me is: SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days Fifth Edition by Jesse Liberty and Bradly Jones

Fragmaster    0

What the hell Trust?