Newbie C++ Help

• Please log in to reply
211 replies to this topic

#31 kjordan2001

kjordan2001

Mystery Solver

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 22 April 2003 - 03:57

Forget scripting/markup languages to begin with. Worry about them later. They're pretty much irrelevant when it comes to programming (i.e., don't worry about HTML, CSS, XML, XHTML, DHTML, etc...).

Honestly, start with a classic beginner's language, either C++ or Java. I learned C++ first, but Java is a good first language too. I would stay away from C until you get a handle on C++, then go to C to get the extra functionality C provides. Then, if you're serious about doing some web work (database driven sites and whatnot), PHP would be really easy to learn. Also, if you learn Java, JSP becomes a real viable option for database driven websites.

Paul.

Don't you have that backwards on the C/C++ part? C++ is the one with extra functionality, C is the basics :huh:

#32 CyBeRiA

CyBeRiA

Neowinian

Posted 22 April 2003 - 04:21

well, i was thinking more along the lines of strict memory management and things like that. I found it easier to go back from C++ to C.

#33 Fonze

Fonze

da Fonz...... aaayyyyeeee

Posted 21 May 2003 - 03:19

Forget scripting/markup languages to begin with. Worry about them later. They're pretty much irrelevant when it comes to programming (i.e., don't worry about HTML, CSS, XML, XHTML, DHTML, etc...).

Honestly, start with a classic beginner's language, either C++ or Java. I learned C++ first, but Java is a good first language too. I would stay away from C until you get a handle on C++, then go to C to get the extra functionality C provides. Then, if you're serious about doing some web work (database driven sites and whatnot), PHP would be really easy to learn. Also, if you learn Java, JSP becomes a real viable option for database driven websites.

Paul.

Don't you have that backwards on the C/C++ part? C++ is the one with extra functionality, C is the basics :huh:

i always thought C++ was higher level language and couldn't do certain complicated, lower level operations that C could. making C harder and more time consuming to learn/program in

#34 azcodemonkey

azcodemonkey

Neowinian Senior

Posted 21 May 2003 - 04:06

C++ is completely backward compatible with C. There are nicer ways to do thing in C++ than in C when it comes to memory management. Personally, I think C++ is harder to learn that C, especially with generics thrown in.

#35 endo

endo

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 01 July 2003 - 18:08

Tutorials

^The link above is a good place to get c++ tutorials. It has downloads (zip format) for a good start to c++ coding.

Tutorials on classes, pointers, arrays etc. hope it helps some :cool:

#36 Daem0hn

Daem0hn

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 July 2003 - 11:36

LOL, that's the book they use in almost all the schools in toronto. My old school too!!!<br />
<br />
<br />

Originally posted by DeathLace <br />
Vi3tboi911 if you don't mind spending a little cash to buy a intro book to C++ try "A Guide To Programming in C++" by Tim Corica, Beth Brown and Bruce Presley<br />
Published by: Lawrenceville Press<br />
<br />
When I started to learn C++ I used this book in school, a great book that will really get you going, very easy to learn from too.

they teach u c++, DUDE, AWESOME :D the best we got, or, were going to get was VB, then i mentioned to the teacher that i had been programming since i was 9 (started with qbasic) and programming VB for about 4 years, then i went home and completed the final year 12 (what he thought was very hard) project, that night, to prove that i was smart :p it was a program turning an A into a B, a B into a C, HAHAHA
newchar=chr(asc(curchar)+1)
:p
so now after me asking very nicely to do java or c++......were doing delphi - mastered it already :p

anyway, thanks all of you for posting in this thread, its given me the urge to go an learn some more on c++ (i did a short course, but no1 else liked it, so it changed back to VB :( )

Does anyone have any good links for c++ in linux???

also, how do you compile, or test run a project using the gcc compiler???

#37 CB-Dave

CB-Dave

Neowinian

Posted 23 September 2003 - 01:31

To the programming god above :rolleyes: who's already so hot on coding that they can't do a "man gcc", to get gcc to compile and link a program to an exectuable form you simply type "gcc -o whatever_the_hell_you_want_your_output_filename_to_be source.c"

Anyway, as an aside from that - I'm 22 now, been coding various things since the age of 5 on an Amstrad CPC 464, and the way I've found to learn about coding is NOT to do the crappy hello world type stuff, I mean cmon - which beaurocrat decided that the first week of coding school should be down with cout << "hello world" << endl;

The way I learned VB, Delphi, C++, Java and a little PHP was simply by hitting the help files, finding a function and writing a wrapper around it.

For example, in Delphi you get fundamental API access given to you, to figure this out I simply wrote a program that wrapped the API information returned (system info etc) into a nice neat box to show the user. All done using labels and about maybe 50 lines of code max.

C++, well - basic function-based C++ is dead easy to learn, it's procedural really...

OO can be a pain but once you've started it's only polite to carry on!

I wouldn't worry about memory allocation, or anything like that if you're new - read up on the bog basic functional stuff and it mushrooms from there, and from what I've seen so far if you run into trouble - there are a LOT of knowledgable bods around here to help!

Edited by CB-Dave, 23 September 2003 - 01:45.

#38 Rummand

Rummand

Neowinian

Posted 10 October 2003 - 22:53

Hi There,

I have been programming for about 9-10 years now, and proffesionally for about 5 years. My experience is that every person has his/hers own way of learning the best, personally what I find most effective is practical learning instead of theoretical learning. Then when I thought i was mastering a language at some level I have started to explore the theories more deeply.

In other words, im a "learn by example" kind of guy, I learned what some of the cpp language by just going thru various turtorials, and then my father bought me Bjarne Stoustrups (one of the great danes in programming :laugh:) first book, now i can only find the Oreilly C++ in a nutshell, on my bookshelf - I guess I lost Bjarne's book in a move.

For rookie programmers wanting to learn some OO based concepts could look into a language like Python, this language have proved to be one of my favorite tools, I love the powers of this language, and the way to implement it in other languages, if wanting to write performance critical parts in lower level languages. For instance the C/C++ api are incredible (python itselfes is implemented in c), but also the PythonForDelphi (cpp builder, delphi and kylix compliant) is great.

Maybe I got way of topic, I appologize for that, I just got carried away :D (my first post at neowin, but not last, hehe)

#39 azcodemonkey

azcodemonkey

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 October 2003 - 02:34

Woot! Another code monkey! :D

Welcome to Neowin.

#40 Rummand

Rummand

Neowinian

Posted 11 October 2003 - 04:26

Woot! Another code monkey! :D

Welcome to Neowin.

thank you very much :D

Have read around in the forums, and I like the casual attitude, people have here, neowin now has a quicklinks entry in my browser(s) :D

#41 Diffused Mind™

Diffused Mind™

Go ahead, make my day.

Posted 18 October 2003 - 02:48

Whatever you do, DO NOT buy C++ for Dummies, the book itself was written by a Dummy. Most of the code never compiled. I tried one piece like 20 times and it was a no show. :no:

#42 shihchiun

shihchiun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 October 2003 - 22:49

So what's the difference between C and C++? (Other than it's newer...) I know some C already, debating whether to learn C++ or Perl.

#43 Goalie_CA

Goalie_CA

kicking ass!

Posted 25 October 2003 - 23:09

C++:
- template functions
- template library, strings, vectors, lists, sorting, and so on.
- objects
- new and delete instead of malloc and free
- can do for (int n=0 ....) in a for loop without compiler bitching (i dunno if msvc does it, but gcc does.

well, there's a bunch more but that's the main difference.
I recommend to learn whatever the **** you wanna learn it for. If you're gonna be doing scripting use perl. Gonna write apps use C/C++.

#44 Dan Soki

Dan Soki

Neowinian

Posted 04 November 2003 - 00:50

All this advise is helping me out in recalling all the C++ I learned, and more.

Thanks!

#45 vcv

vcv

code monkey

Posted 04 November 2003 - 17:08

You could always do as I did.. use your computer all day, every day, from when you're 12 until you're 18, and just learn by studying other source code and trying yourself.

MSDN is also helpful, and it's good to find a language reference for when you're ever unsure of something.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!