64 bit section & forums added

64 Bit Hardware Discussion

64 Bit Software Discussion

Since this is a new technology becoming more and more accesible to home-users I decided to add a new category to discuss the core (hardware/software) issues new users might be having.

Think of it as a resource for 64 bit computing where one can ask help or advice on hardware or software :)

Its listed under the Help & Support Category because its not Platform/Manufacturer limited.

i got the first post in both

/me is SOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOL

585308980[/snapback]

Enjoy it while it lasts because the other mods will start to move in existing active threads from other topics.

*sigh* and still no cooling/extreme cooling forum *cries*

I really would have considered such things within the realm of the major topic groups, considering that all the windows 64 bit os are in beta and the others are in linux.

amd64 chips are still hardware are they not? and they arent exactly a niche product... and the topics that go along with them (other new tech) pci-e and sata2 are soon to be of the norm as well.

moving amd 64 threads out of hardware would be rediculous and that is hardware is it not?

Couldnt it all be handled by the parent groups.. linux,beta,hardware and software as it is now.

I just dont see the need to continue spreading topics out when they arent needed (eg the portable media area), but im not management and all I have is my opinion.

edit im going to elaborate here....

64 bit hardware?

amd cpus:opteron and the 64 line

xeons

power pc

64 bit software comes under two realms

linux

windows

now lets examine here....xeons are server/workstation chips, so are power pc (as well as being mac) different applications and systems. amd 64 stands on its own as the consumer item (but mac is covered by mac discussion) and in the end consumer items should be handled by the general group.

the software part explains itself

*drops another two cents*

Im going to stop before I ramble further....

Edited by EnIgMa-PenGuIn

I don't like it. :\

Too many forums to go through to help people:(:(

585309430[/snapback]

I totally agree with that.....hence the ranting.

Nah Tox what I meant is that instead of all the topics being in one place for hardware, which makes it easy for me, penguin, everybody else who helps in the hardware sections it's now getting spread out everywhere which means we have to trawl through 3-4 forums instead 1-2.

Might seem like a useless little whine, but it can get tedious. :/

*clink*

VERY cool! i got n AMD64, and i just noticed that forum, so i thought i'd come here to see if its suppost to say that :D great work neobond!