Shareaza is Super Slow!

Question

I'm using Shareaza v2.1.1.0 and it's slow as hell. I've tried to change every setting with no luck. I don't know why is it so slow. I have a 256K cable connection @ home and all downlaods are pending. 15 downlaods, and I paused every download and left 4 running. Most of them have 150+ sources and still pending.

Windows XP Pro SP 2 here, with the default Widnows Firewall. Using Gnutella 2 and eDonkey2000 networks.

Any ideas? Thanks

22 answers to this question

it depends how many sources you have for each download and how many people actually will let you download. i won't give you any further help since all the networks you use are know for offering/downloading copyright material.

it depends how many sources you have for each download and how many people actually will let you download. i won't give you any further help since all the networks you use are know for offering/downloading copyright material.

586019031[/snapback]

Ah ... sorry if it's against the rules. I don;t see anything wrong with setting up shareaza, since there are links here to download shareaze. Anyways, if it's agianst the rules, please close it.

586019031[/snapback]

ahh but surly there is legal content on those network as well :huh:

i could use your argument to say talking about the internet is about neowin rules as you can download copyrighted material off it. :blink:

btw those p2p networks are always slow i wouldnt even bother tbh try using a differnt program

if it doesn't work for you, don't use it, there are a billion alternativers nowadays (see link in sig)

586019076[/snapback]

Yes, I use Ares too, but ... I had shareaza and the download speed used to be normal.

Thanks for your help guys, and again if it's against the rules, close it mods.

ahh but surly there is legal content on those network as well  :huh:

i could use your argument to say talking about the internet is about neowin rules as you can download copyrighted material off it.  :blink:

btw those p2p networks are always slow i wouldnt even bother tbh try using a differnt program

586019106[/snapback]

Ahh ok, so there's no way I can increase the speed by playing with the settings or something else?

It all gets drawn down to amount of sources and how fast the peers can send you the file IF you have no firewall/etc settings that prevents the connection being established. Otherwise, you may be affected by the TCP limit Window enforces, which can be removed at LvlLord.

Let me borrow this thread ...

Erm, does Ares and Shareaza uses the same network?

Cause I considering to download both.

I don't think so. Ares has its own network i think, while Shareaza connects to the Gnuttella2 network (as their primary network) and allows you to connect to other networks such as eDonkey etc.

Limewire connects to the Gnutella network, it doesnt support the Gnuttela2 network like Shareaza does. But Shareaza does connect to both the Gnutella networks. Limewire is coded in Java thus taking a little bit longer to startup. Ares, as usual, connects to its own private network.

Edit: Limewire does connect to Gnuttella2 network now. :ninja:

Edited by devyant

Limewire connects to the Gnutella network, it doesnt support the Gnuttela2 network like Shareaza does. But Shareaza does connect to both the Gnutella networks. Limewire is coded in Java thus taking a little bit longer to startup. Ares, as usual, connects to its own private network.

Edit: Limewire does connect to Gnuttella2 network now. :ninja:

586019451[/snapback]

Means if I have LimeWire i don't need Shareaza anymore I guess?

Its two entirely different programs, and even though they connect to the same network, you might get results that actually differ. So it'll be better if you try evaluate it yourself and give your personal verdict. :)

It all gets drawn down to amount of sources and how fast the peers can send you the file IF you have no firewall/etc settings that prevents the connection being established. Otherwise, you may be affected by the TCP limit Window enforces, which can be removed at LvlLord.

586019302[/snapback]

Hey, thanks for that. I've installed the patch and I can notice it's finding a few more sources than before.

Now I got confused since, when it replaced the file I got an error message that a file which might be used by Windows has chagned and it requested to insert the SP2 CD. I closed the errors and everything seems fine, not sure when I reboot next time though haha.

Is it safe? Actually I already installed but should have asked this before haha

My searches aren't slow, downloading is ... alot. The strange thing is, that with the old Shareaza I used to have good speeds, with the latest beta version, it's different. I hope it will be improved soon :happy:

shareaza is the fastest p2p i got. i had 5mb/s once somehow...not quite sure how i managed that on a 2mb connection!i get an average of about 200kb/s now tho, used to be about 350kb/s average

Hey, thanks for that. I've installed the patch and I can notice it's finding a few more sources than before. 

Now I got confused since, when it replaced the file I got an error message that a file which might be used by Windows has chagned and it requested to insert the SP2 CD. I closed the errors and everything seems fine, not sure when I reboot next time though haha.

Is it safe? Actually I already installed but should have asked this before haha

586030176[/snapback]

Yes, it should be fine, because it requires you to replace a windows file that is protected by Window, and it detects the edited copy of the file, thus it'll request for the CD to repair it. After closing it, you should be good to go, meaning it wouldnt ask you for the CD again. :)