Damn too scary

They used i guess the GPRS signal from all phoen in the area compiled a list of number sent out mass text messge. now this i know was just asking for information but just the fact they honey potted all those numbers sucks... BIG TIME!

Dutch Police Use Text Messages in Hunt

Email this Story

Aug 31, 9:56 PM (ET)

By The Associated Press

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands (AP) - In a high-tech hunt for hooligans, Dutch police sent 17,000 text messages to the mobile phones of fans who attended a soccer match marred by rioting.

Supporters rioted before, during and after the April 17 match in Rotterdam. Two train cars were vandalized beyond repair, 43 fans were arrested and 47 police officers and an unknown number of fans were injured.

Phone companies voluntarily handed over the mobile numbers of people who were in or around the stadium that day. The companies did not give individual names to police, and police sent a standard message asking people to come forward if they had information.

But some suspects apparently thought they had been fingered. Four suspects contacted police Wednesday, and a fifth turned himself in directly, Rotterdam police spokesman Ger de Jong said.

"Maybe they just think, 'I'm going to get caught sooner or later so I better just turn myself in and get it over with,'" de Jong said.

Rotterdam police also filmed the clashes and have posted images of suspects on their Web site, drawing complaints from privacy groups.

De Jong said the posting the images contributed to 100 additional arrests in the months after the game.

The text messages and Internet site were extensions of traditional investigation techniques to new media, de Jong said.

"This is no different than the requests for information we publish in newspapers or on television," de Jong said.

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20050901/D8CB5V20C.html

i think this is a good thing.

bugger anyones privicy, as soon as they break the law thats it. There gone.

Surprised it worked how it did though.

586463565[/snapback]

really i mean keeping it safe, sure but ....

think about what could be done next time to round people up door to door herd'n them like cattle?

the future of what they will be able to do is crazy to me

think about what could be done next time to round people up door to door herd'n them like cattle?

586463577[/snapback]

The future of what vandals will be able to do with that kind of attitude is the thing that is crazy to me.

586463577[/snapback]

I actually hope they can use this to crack down on illegal activitys. Doesnt scare me one bit, i dont do anything dodgy. It should only worrie drug dealers etc.

Your title is very.......... descriptive......

Anyway, if I was around that area, but not involved with the footie, I would have been very ****ed.

But, considering that it worked by bringing in 5 people, thats good :)

And it won't take people long to click onto this... Give it awhile, it just won't work !