Avoiding Flaming by PM'ing instead of posting on an existing thread

I have thought of a way to prevent flaming on the threads of Neowin. May be very basic, but it does keep any comments not necessarily having to do w/ the thread out of the thread itself. If you have a comment about a member's post, PM the member if possible. This way comments and such can be made and things can be resolved just between you and the other member without interfering w/ the existing thread. I think this would go a long way towards us having peaceful debates and discussions on this forum.

Mods if you don't mind please make this a sticky. Thanks.

That is all well and good but is not to say members should take their fight to PM. I will point out now that hateful remarks or abuse towards another member via the private messaging system is also a breach of community policy. If there is any kind of harrassment taking place, report the post/thread asap.

Thanks.

-Keldyn

-Extremely tired with the level of maturity around here right now...:right:

This isn't new thinking, this is standard. If users really feel the need to argue, keep it out of the forums but that's all well and good when the post reply button is sat there after you've just seen someone talk about your momma :p

And that's where we come in :ninja: :china:

well for the most part, i suppose it isnt a bad idea, but whos gonna use it, the people who are flaming are trying to get attention, and with the PM system, he cant get as much attention. if there are any problems, just do what keldyn recommends

If there is any kind of harrassment taking place, report the post/thread asap.

Originally posted by Keldyn

That is all well and good but is not to say members should take their fight to PM.

Of course they shouldn't. That will not solve anything. What I am saying though is that if a member has a comment or disagreement on an issue or post on a thread, then that member should PM the other member(s) and settle it peacefully. Unfortunately, they will try to do just as you said. The reason I brought this up is because of some debate threads that have popped up lately. Everytime that a serious topic arises, the insults begin and the thread becomes an all-out flame fest. I am just sick and tired of it. I like debates and such, but I don't like when people start letting their emotions get the best of them and start insulting one another. I am just trying to make a difference here as I am very saddened by the level of maturity and restraint around here. :(

Funny thing is, Mods are saying that this is pointless as it's already been said, even though the members are TRYING TO HELP THEM OUT. Also it is said in the first post, but I personally wouldn't read that, it's LONG, does anyone ever read any Terms and Agreements on anything? It would take a while, but a small thread like this would help out a lot, but it's being said another time to all the new members since it was said the last time, so if anything you should be thanking codyg11 for posting this as all it is doing is helping everyone, even the mods :p.

Originally posted by codyg11

I am very saddened by the level of maturity and restraint around here. :(

Yes. Agreed but we are aware of the problem. Staff are not blind to the amount of problem threads on the boards. There does seem to be a problem with members expressing themselves inappropriately and i also think those lacking the maturity to participate responsibly should just stay out of it. Just so long as you guys report them, we can act upon it. Think of yourselves as part of the neowin team. Help us so we can help you eh?;)

Everytime that a serious topic arises, the insults begin and the thread becomes an all-out flame fest.

This goes to everybody:

Whenever you see flaming on a thread just ask the members to keep on topic and if they want to debate their views then PM or use e-mail/instant messengers. Sometimes they listen and sometimes they don't. And when they don't listen, the thread usualy spirals out of control, and then requires mod/admin action to correct or close it.

Originally posted by shockz

This goes to everybody:

Whenever you see flaming on a thread just ask the members to keep on topic and if they want to debate their views then PM or use e-mail/instant messengers. Sometimes they listen and sometimes they don't. And when they don't listen, the thread usualy spirals out of control, and then requires mod/admin action to correct or close it.

This happens all the time just because people can't show restraint. If you can control your emotions around here, no matter how harsh the situation may seem, you will be honored for it, I promise. :)

And another thing: when people post jokes around here that are not funny, the member who posted it gets insulted. This happened to me once, and I did not leave that thread with a good feeling. The thread was so bad it was deleted. Just because something is funny to one person does not mean that it will be to the next, and this difference in thinking should not be judged or questioned.

Please people, don't insult people just because they think differently. Let's work together to build a stronger community. This does not have to be this way.

EDIT: I am not saying all of this to get attention, I am because I care. I want this community to be the best it can be, the strongest it can be, the nicest it can be. I am trying to restrain myself. I have gotten out of hand at times, but I want to say right now that I'm sorry. I don't want to feel like a hypocrite here. I was saddened by a member that does not want to post because people make smart-ass comments. That right there folks is why we need to stop this crazyness that has become a daily part of this community, whether the mods want to admit it or not. Things need to change around here, and I want to let you people know that I am trying to make a difference here, and I want things to change for the better. I am speaking from my heart. I care about the wellness of the community. I want the flaming and the insults to stop. Thank you for your cooperation.

-codyg11

Ok... I am one of detonators for this posted thread. codyg11 was witness for my "interchange of ideas" with another new member.

As I PM to codyg11, I was trying to stop some racist expressions from a new member. Something against the rules.

was in this thread..

Please check I'm not insulting anyone, I'm just pointing the wrong expressions.

If someone thinks I'm wrong, I can accept the critics.

I'm waiting comments, from mods or members...

Thanks...

This is what JHAres is talking about:

Originally posted by nagaina

typical juden media garbage !

now we all know if this had been a young White youth brutally beaten by 4 or 5 officers of colour, this would have never even made the news.

isn't it just like the ZNN to broadcast something to stir up sensitive issues amongst the population.

Yes. The thread had got quite out of hand i agree. Just stay on topic without the flaming and there will be no reason to close the thread or issue anyone warnings.

-Keldyn

This is what JHAres is talking about:

Yeah, and for people who don't know German or can't be bothered with a translator, that means "Typical Jew media garbage. That's what the argument stemmed from if I am correct.

Originally posted by Dazzla

Yeah, and for people who don't know German or can't be bothered with a translator, that means "Typical Jew media garbage. That's what the argument stemmed from if I am correct.

Man... see thats what gets everybody stirred up. Somebody posts a racsist, mean or some other negative comment and then it just falls apart. They could easily keep their views to themselves and say something like: Typical media misreporting, or even typical media garbage.

Originally posted by Keldyn

Yes. The thread had got quite out of hand i agree. Just stay on topic without the flaming and there will be no reason to close the thread or issue anyone warnings.

-Keldyn

Keldyn... I know the issue was some off-topic, but just tell me if I'm wrong trying to stop that kind of racists commentaries... or if my posts were "excessives" or "nonsenses"...

Please... thanks.

Originally posted by Dazzla

You're right...

This is just a thought but that thread is a prime example why I never look in the Real World Issues forum. I think that controversial/racial/touchy subjects aren't the best thing to be discussed here, where there are members from all over the world and someone is going to be offended. I think it's safe to say that a lot of the flame wars stem from topics like these? I really like the seperate forum for them so I don't have to see them, but maybe we don't need these thread topics at all? Probablly more complicated then just that.

Originally posted by GatorZx2

This is just a thought but that thread is a prime example why I never look in the Real World Issues forum. I think that controversial/racial/touchy subjects aren't the best thing to be discussed here, where there are members from all over the world and someone is going to be offended. I think it's safe to say that a lot of the flame wars stem from topics like these? I really like the seperate forum for them so I don't have to see them, but maybe we don't need these thread topics at all. Probablly more complicated then just that.

There are rules about racial comments...