Not a Racist but acts like one

people of differenct races can be just as racist as white people but the only time it is highlited is when white people do it i think this fact is worse than any racism

Was he old enough to have been brought here for slavery or was he born in America to a free black family and just wants to be different?  I saw a guy on TV about 3 years back who had always gone on and on about slavery and how it had given his family a strong determination in life and had made him want to defend himself more day to day.  They traced his family back to a country which had never been used for slavery and it turned out his family had come to England freely a long time before.  His face was a picture lol.

586534784[/snapback]

Probably traced back to families that arrived in England in the 50's maybe.

Though in the early 19th century there were a few black/brown/mixed race Men, Women and children that lived in very small numbers around Bristol, Birmingham and London, not sure if they were slaves, some were from the West Indies, Asia and Africa. He could have been from those few people.

I would like to add we have a few people that live in the UK who import slaves to work around their council houses from their native country, was a high profile case against a family that did this who lived in Kensington a couple of years back, still goes on, not just a 'black' issue.

The African concept of slavery was much different that the Western idea of slavery.  It sounds like an attempt to abdicate responsibility or alleviate guilt.

586534833[/snapback]

Not at all, he his no trying to alleviate anything. The post is trying to point out that it is part of true history. The difference is that most of the slaves sold were from opposite waring tribes. But this is probably not taught anymore because of the controversial "topic" it covers.

Not at all, he his no trying to alleviate anything. The post is trying to point out that it is part of true history. The difference is that most of the slaves sold were from opposite waring tribes. But this is probably not taught anymore because of the controversial "topic" it covers.

586534864[/snapback]

Many indiginous people have a history of taking slaves in combat. They serve for about a year or two to regain honour and then return to their tribe.

It seems completely different to me than to be treated like inferior subhumans.

586534864[/snapback]

I'd rather hear the story from the African's POV... I highly doubt that caucasian American teachers would have an accurate account of what happened in Africa so long ago.

Yep something which is really never covered, we did a bit in University, talk about jaw drops from some liberal students, they even tried to attack the academic for being racist, omg nice to see some educated people around neowin.

I'd rather hear the story from the African's POV... I highly doubt that caucasian American teachers would have an accurate account of what happened in Africa so long ago.

586534875[/snapback]

I never said the professor was caucasian, your making an assumption. It is history, which typically is an accumulation of both sides. If this type of history were written by caucasians "back in the day" I doubt they would have tried to "create" such an elaborate

story, especially since they were for slavery and didn't hide that. And not to mention the supporting statements of the slaves themselves.

History is a selective business, and the historian is the one who chooses what to include, what to omit, and what to emphasize. The boundary between history and fiction is insecure, however. We assumes, of course that the ?facts? in history are ?true?, that is, names, dates, events and so on are supported by evidence that attest to their existence.

It seems like race these days is so much more of an issue. It seems the black people play the race card way too much. For example:

Most blacks think that the hurricane was racist, and that our federal government is racist.

I swear, black people are making racisim worse.

You didnt hear the cubans crying racism when Hurricane Andrew leveled their city.

586534250[/snapback]

I think this is the problem. It isn't that black people are doing any of this - it's that the people that the media listens to and portrays as black leaders say this crap. And they say it because they make money and people listen to them when they say it. Talk to the average person (black, white, whatever), and they personally don't feel the way that their racial, gender, or whatever "group" is portrayed in the media. Who actually listens to Kaye or Farrakhan on political issues? No one. But the media portrays these idiots as expressing the prevailing opinion of a certain group, then reports it as fact. Other networks then report on that, and get "experts" to make it even more believable, in effect making news out of nothing.

Sorry to make a big off topic post, but that's my opinion.

i saw a black guy wearing a shirt that said "imported from africa" and on the back it said "and i did not choose to be here"

just thought i'd point that out. not racist but sure sounds unamerican eh

586534138[/snapback]

About responses to above quote ^

OMG! you people. Taking it so serious. Come on... its a funny t-shirt. Goto tshirthell.com. Yes there are "racist" Shirts. He was making a crack at himself. get a sense of humour and stop analyzing it.

I had to look that word up at urbandictionary.com but I would warn somebody for using racial terms against any race. I recently added some common racial terms to the word filter in case any slipped by the moderators and caused offence but I have, in the past, warned members about using anti-caucasian terms just the same way that I have warned members for using anti-minority phrases.

i saw a black guy wearing a shirt that said "imported from africa" and on the back it said "and i did not choose to be here"

just thought i'd point that out. not racist but sure sounds unamerican eh

586534138[/snapback]

I'm not racist either...but I sure would show him a tee-shirt that said...U.S.A on the front and "free boat rides to Africa" on the back....

I think this is the problem. It isn't that black people are doing any of this - it's that the people that the media listens to and portrays as black leaders say this crap. And they say it because they make money and people listen to them when they say it. Talk to the average person (black, white, whatever), and they personally don't feel the way that their racial, gender, or whatever "group" is portrayed in the media. Who actually listens to Kaye or Farrakhan on political issues? No one. But the media portrays these idiots as expressing the prevailing opinion of a certain group, then reports it as fact. Other networks then report on that, and get "experts" to make it even more believable, in effect making news out of nothing.

Sorry to make a big off topic post, but that's my opinion.

586534986[/snapback]

This is a great post. There are many real leaders in various black communities that have been saying the same thing Cosby said and have never gotten the media attention. Yet the media always runs to Jackson and Sharpton for quick sound bites on racial situations. People then apply those opinions to the whole black community. No community is a monolith. For every black person that blames someone else for their problems, there are just as many who take responibility for their problems. Farakhan doesn't have too much say in the black community.

do you blame them?? they got draged out of their home country to be slaves??

586534614[/snapback]

This may have been the case 100's of years ago, but think in modern times. A lot of people whether they be white, black, asian, etc tend to play the "poor me, i am oppressed and it's everyone else's fault" game but the fact of the matter is that a lot of them hold themselves back.

The main problem is that intolerance plagues society. There are people who are racist because they were taught that way. People are not born hating other races. It is something that they are taught to do by others, whether it is a family member or friend brainwashing them, or they they are influenced by an outside source or form of peer pressure. Some people are like sheep, and will believe anything they are told.

There will always be a problem, no matter how hard some people work to bring racial harmony to others. It sucks, but you can't change people who don't want to change or think there is nothing wrong with them.

It seems like race these days is so much more of an issue. It seems the black people play the race card way too much. For example:

Hurricane Katrina. Most blacks think that the hurricane was racist, and that our federal government is racist. Lets forget that the most powerful women in our government is a black women. And before her it was a black man.

Hurricane Katrina was not racist. And I dont think our government would have responded any diffrently to the flood if it was 10,000 white people in the super dome.

I swear, black people are making racisim worse. Like the above poster....Me, or my parents ever participated in slavery. How can you continue to blame a race for something they were not a part of.

there is nothing stopping any race from achiving their dreams.  There are just as many poor white people, poor cubans, poor spanish people as much as there are poor blacks.

You didnt hear the cubans crying racism when Hurricane Andrew leveled their city.

586534250[/snapback]

Come on now, seriously. Either you have been watching TV while drunk or you need to get a new news source. ANYONE in the media that says black people in general thought the hurricane was racist has a problem and should be sued. That just makes blacks sound like idiots and I assure you that not all blacks are idiots. Every race has a few million idiots but damn, I wouldn't take it that far...

Well he knows where Africa is he should go board a one-way-ticket to Africa if thats how strongly he feels about it.

Did he also have on the label that most African tribal leaders traded their own people to slave traders for goods?

Not only were slaves black/African from West indies, slaves also were white, Oriental and of Asian origins.

This black and white issue with racism is now becoming boring.

586534271[/snapback]

Point taken, but I am sure they had idea what they were in for...

Yeah I forgot to point that out.

Hating people because their skin is a different color is just beyond me. I can't understand that at all. It's a skin color that's all it is.

As for the ones who still hate whites in todays world for things that happened in the past. They need to grow up. Even Bill Cosby during his speeches he gives college students, he'll talk about this very thing and mention how he thinks it's IGNORANT that blacks blame everything on whites when it's the blacks that make all this happen to themselves. He mentioned "they call it black on black crime for a reason. Why do we blame the whites?" the entire auditorium got quiet and you could see some of the blacks looking down as if they were trying to hide or felt uncomfortable. Now when you have a black man like Bill Cosby pointing out issues in his own race that should say something.

586534816[/snapback]

As far as that goes, some black DO still blame everything on whites. In my opinion, blacks did not have a "fair" shot. But I personally use that as a motivator for my future...

The African concept of slavery was much different that the Western idea of slavery.  It sounds like an attempt to abdicate responsibility or alleviate guilt.

586534833[/snapback]

Bingo...

586534864[/snapback]

History isn't truth anymore man. Everything is politically correct.

Many indiginous people have a history of taking slaves in combat.  They serve for about a year or two to regain honour and then return to their tribe.

It seems completely different to me than to be treated like inferior subhumans.

586534874[/snapback]

Bingo again...

586534875[/snapback]

Bingo for you too!!

I still cant say the N word. But they can call me a cracker...

586539438[/snapback]

Thats messed up. I see where you are coming from and that is unacceptable...

Its so sad, because noone is born racist. People are fed that crap.

I disagree, we are born racist and must overcome it. I'm still a racist but working on it.

That said, as a racist with black friends I asked for their take on this. They wish white people were more open. They would rather be offended by incitefull speech or T-shirt like the one mentioned here than to have all racist speech, and hence the dialog, illegal.

I disagree, we are born racist and must overcome it.  I'm still a racist but working on it.

586549690[/snapback]

I respectfully disagree... :D

You dont come out of your mother hating a race. You dont even know what race you are so thats impossible. It is a learned thing...

I disagree, we are born racist and must overcome it.  I'm still a racist but working on it.

That said, as a racist with black friends I asked for their take on this.  They wish white people were more open.  They would rather be offended by incitefull speech or  T-shirt like the one mentioned here than to have all racist speech, and hence the dialog, illegal.

586549690[/snapback]

I completely disagree. Kids learn from their parents or from television.

I could easily teach my child to descriminate against eye or hair colour rather than skin colour. They are just categories for our brains to process. In the grand scheme of things, skin colour really isn't that important.

That said, as a racist with black friends I asked for their take on this.  They wish white people were more open.  They would rather be offended by incitefull speech or  T-shirt like the one mentioned here than to have all racist speech, and hence the dialog, illegal.

586549690[/snapback]

Prove that we are born racist. Please i'm dying to hear this. And you admit you are racist? wow :blink:

Let me clarify my terminology and how I used it above then. Since the idea of race is a modern conception, it obviously must be learned on some level. Since there is no biological component to race all you are saying is that concepts are learned. So saying that 'racism is learned' is really a non-statement. Yours rests on the assumption that we start as a blank slate and learn everything. I am not a nurturist which drives to the root of my main problems with the 'PC' culture, culminating in Fred's generalized utopia. 'Racism' is merely a changing concept that attempts to address our natural tendency to superficially judge others on their outward characteristics.

I posit an innate racism as an evolutionary force - a tendency to like the familiar and distrust the different. As an instinct it may not be as strong as the primary instincts (sex, fear, hunger...). Just as society has constantly to battled an innate sex drive, so the evidence that it has had to battle racism is sufficient evidence that an innate drive exists.

Modern society has pronounced its ethical condemnation of racism, but in the long run has met with little more success than in religion and in its condemnation of sex and aggression. It is time to recognize clearly that race-consciousness is a natural tendency, with which our socio-political life must come to terms.

Edited by Dashel