[Canadians] Why can the Canadian Economy...

I have a question for Economics where I can't really place my mind-set on. The question is:

Explain why the Canasdian economy can be accureatley identied as a mixed market economy. Can anyone help shed some light on me with this one?

Much thanks,

- Nathan.

It is probably a reference to the fact that Canada has publicly owned industries. Health Care leaps to the forefront of my mind.

I wouldn't be able to discuss the various industries that are publicly held ( public meaning run by the government) but health care is, should be a good jumping off point.

I have a question for Economics where I can't really place my mind-set on. The question is:

Explain why the Canasdian economy can be accureatley identied as a mixed market economy. Can anyone help shed some light on me with this one?

Much thanks,

- Nathan.

586558166[/snapback]

Well we believe that some areas of industry should not be private. We believe that businesses should not be profitting on the sick and the dying. We also believe that some services, like the sales of alcoholic beverages (in some provinces anyway) should be not be handled by the private sector (where we would have less controls on the sales to minors or the already intoxicated, etc...). Other provinces believe that auto insurance is best handled by the public sector (I don't live in one of those provinces so I'm not sure what the argument is but only that the net result is that it is considerably cheaper).

Yet, on the other hand, for most industries that does not involve public safety we allow business to run based on supply and demand. Those industries may still face regulation from a governmental or quasi-governmental organization.