Her stay in prison will cost the taxpayer...

"Sylvia Hardy, 73, from Exeter, was jailed for seven days after missing a deadline to settle arrears of ?53.71>.">

Whilst we all know that the bill, (unfortunatly), has to be paid, surely her local councilshould> have gone to court and obtained an "attatchment to earnings" to get the funds, (her earnings being her pension.)

"Magistrates said they had no choice">

Um..yes they did. And so did the council. They could have done an attatchment to earnings surely?!?

Now, she has been sent to prison and it will cost the taxpayer?700!b> Her debt will be wiped, because after all she is paying her debt to society by going to prison.

So all in all the taxpayer i?647 out of pocket!/b> Nice one!:wacko:ko:

How silly!:rolleyes:es:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4280040.stm

If they worked on the basis of only punishing when the cost is less than the money they owed, then the tax payer would be out of pocket. If she was allowed to walk because prison was more expensive, and 13 people followed her example, then you're already over the ?647.

586582140[/snapback]

Her local council should have gone to court and obtained an "attatchment to earnings" to get the funds, (her earnings being her pension.) That way they would have got the fund guarenteed, because it is taken at source.

:rolleyes::

If they worked on the basis of only punishing when the cost is less than the money they owed, then the tax payer would be out of pocket. If she was allowed to walk because prison was more expensive, and 13 people followed her example, then you're already over the ?647.

Tax in this country has been rising and rising, yet the public services decline and decline. Why should people pay more and more for less and less? She stuck to her principles and the government punished her for it. The more this happens the more people I see leaving Britain. Its becoming more and more like a Nanny State here. :no:

councils and governments are just screwing up more now.

In my area we now have a recylcing bin and then a normal waste bin. We have to sort our rubish in to the correct bin to which we then leave out side on the edge of our property fair doos.

Now before bin men just use to come in to your garden and pick up your bags of waste in there big yellow bins which they use to just plonk on the road side for another bloke to come along to pick up and chuck in to the lorry.

Now they have stoped that and now people put there waste in big black bins and wheel them out to the side of there propety so the men come along wheel them to the truck which then picks em up and emptys them.

If you don't point the bin to the right place they won't even bother to touch it.

I've got new neighbours that have been in for about 2 weeks and this was there first collection. So they bound to have quite abit of rubish.

They put there green and black bin out which where full and another black bin with more rubbish because this was the first collection.

They only took the main black bin waste and left the other one. Why? because they are lazy sods. if the truck lifts the bin then fine empty the other bin in to the council bin it only takes a few secs for the machine to lift and empty.

So the councils have stoped the weekley empty runs and now do a fortnightly run, lazy ****** bin man most likey get paid more for doing less sodding work. Provide us with bins yet charge us more money if we want an extra bin and it to be be emptyed.

Now theres the road works, sure the area i'm in was bulit in the 50's and that the waste, water and gas need to be updated so they dig up the roads, but they employee silly boy contractors who always let one bloke do the work while the other 10 just stand and watch. And then you feel the hole which a compleaty different road surface so now one half of my car is shakeing and the other half isn't

You can't program traffic lights if there where no junctions or other roads.

People that mow the grass well they work for an hour have a rest for 5

spent a lucrative 30 mill on an over budgeted, slow, useless bus lane that hardly gets used and is just a waste of space oh while the busses are just rip off and aren't that overall good.

Put speed cams in areas that people don't die in

Bulid a tower in the city which looks like a million other towers, over budget and only has 3 floors, with dodgey concreate mix which means it would have to be pulled down in a few years. Was ment to open in 2000 yet it wasn't even bulit by then and only now is just near on done at a push.

Sure i love my council and local government members

Sex Change operations are what get me, after all it's our tax money going towards it hmm.gif

taxpayers pay for sex change operations? are you serious? isnt that an operation you get out of choice therefore the person doing it has to pay or their insurance?