Photo

Are all headphones bad for you?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 n30w1n

n30w1n

Neowinian

Posted 10 January 2006 - 17:07

Lots of articles are popping up lately about the in-ear headphones used with iPods and other MP3 players causing hearing loss in the masses. My comment to that was "Duh, they needed a study?" I am wondering though, what about headphones that don't drill into your ear canals? How bad would those be to hearing? Personally I use headphones for extended periods of time but not at pumping volume.

#2 vetstncttr908

stncttr908

Neowin Vet

Posted 10 January 2006 - 17:09

If you don't use a loud volume then they can't really be harmful. Of course if you turn them up all the way for extended periods of time you're risking damage to your ears.

#3 W1cked-J

W1cked-J

Between the Subwoofers

Posted 10 January 2006 - 17:10

I think ANY headphone can be bad for your hearing, you just need to keep the volume low. I did damage to my ears years ago. Not just from headphones but being in a loud club. I used to DJ and always cranked the monitors up in the DJ booth, UGH dumb thing to do... On top of that I cranked headphones up to. No matter what you use, loud will hurt. Keep volume low and you will be good.

#4 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

Posted 10 January 2006 - 17:17

NO headphone is bad.

Volume = bad. It's pretty simple.

Guns are not bad

Bullets in brain = bad.

#5 kitchenutensils

kitchenutensils

Part-time Neowinian

Posted 10 January 2006 - 17:25

WARNING! Listening to music by any means will damage your hearing if its extended exposure. of course earphones are bad for you, headphones are probably little better and as for in-ear phones there probably the worst - ur choice 2 listen 2 music.

#6 eversor

eversor

Posted 10 January 2006 - 17:29

As i understand its not necessarily the volume that is bad for you but wearing headphones also means that the number of bacterias are rapdily increasing (you just build them a warm, cosy home). Tha will result in infections...

So they are kinda bad. Don't know how much is too much though

#7 icecaveman

icecaveman

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 January 2006 - 17:31

The reson why they claim headphones are bad for mp3 players is because people increase the volume to kill background noice such as traffic driving by. You can get closed noice canceling head-phones or earphones, it will help.

#8 runningking7

runningking7

runningking7

Posted 10 January 2006 - 19:32

NO headphone is bad.

Guns are not bad

Bullets in brain = bad.

That is funny :laugh:

Even if the volume is low, it's still bad for your ears because they shake your eardrums and will damage them overtime. That's why it's better to have stereo.

#9 Phil Mossop

Phil Mossop

Neowinian

Posted 10 January 2006 - 20:32

Clubs must be just as bad then? Go into any club and before you're ears have adjusted you have to shout extremely loud close to someones ear to get across a message.

#10 rvbfan

rvbfan

I'll get the mop.

Posted 10 January 2006 - 20:33

NO headphone is bad.

Guns are not bad

Bullets in brain = bad.

What he said.

#11 Keito

Keito

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 January 2006 - 20:35

That is funny :laugh:

Even if the volume is low, it's still bad for your ears because they shake your eardrums and will damage them overtime. That's why it's better to have stereo.

LOL! That made me laugh so hard!

You can only hear by making moving air shake your eardrums, no matter if that's coming from your stereo of headphones.

It actually is mostly about volume. Just keep it civilized and it's not bad.

#12 Midnight Mick

Midnight Mick

Neowinian

Posted 10 January 2006 - 20:37

How about them gaming (Vibrating) headphones?

#13 DomDom911

DomDom911

Back on track!

Posted 10 January 2006 - 20:43

we all end up deaf when old so who cares, listen to you music as loud as u want! :p

#14 AionXn_

AionXn_

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 January 2006 - 21:06

I heard if you wear earphones it incrases the chances of little bugs that goes into your ear (man...just woke up and cant remeber what its called )

#15 pyehac

pyehac

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 January 2006 - 21:16

My sister had to go to an ear doctor, because she's been complaining about her ears (after she's been playing her music with headphones so loud, that I can hear it from the door). Since she got a cupped headphone, she's been doing good (probably because they block the noise around her and she doesn't need to crank it up that loud).

I on the other hand, been using headphones for portable devices and computer use for years and the only time I had to go to an ear doctor was during my child hood because my hearing wasn't good (years before I heard of walkmans, let alone headphones). I just play it soft and if I want to hear bass, that's what the audio software/bass boost is for.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!