Photo

Windows Media Player 11 on Windows Server 2003

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
143 replies to this topic

#16 dpeters

dpeters

Neowinian

Posted 17 May 2006 - 06:55

I've had enough of microsofts "support" for windows 64bit.

#17 OP Mr. Dick C. Normous

Mr. Dick C. Normous

Neowinian

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:06

1. Download and extract the Windows Media Player 11 installer using WinRar.

Posted Image

2. Delete everything in the mpsetup folder except for wmp11.exe and wmfdist11.exe.
3. Extract wmp11.exe and wmfdist11.exe using Winrar. Be sure to use the “extract to” option.

Posted Image
Posted Image

4. Extract my installer into the mpsetup folder

Posted Image

5. Make sure your mpsetup looks like the image below and run install.bat

Posted Image

Timing is still a slight issue but I have used this installer on three different machines and it does work. If you get an error message just run my installer again. The second try has always worked here.

For some reason my host won't allow me to link to the file and Neowin is screwing up my installer. I'm trying to get it posted

Attached Files

Edited by Mr. Dick C. Normous, 17 May 2006 - 07:40.

#18 wallynufc

wallynufc

Neowinian

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:35

I can just about confirm that this does not work under Windows XP x64. I just get message boxes apear almost immediatly saying "This wmp11 (and WMFDist11) is for a different hardware platform"

#19 OP Mr. Dick C. Normous

Mr. Dick C. Normous

Neowinian

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:42

I can just about confirm that this does not work under Windows XP x64. I just get message boxes apear almost immediatly saying "This wmp11 (and WMFDist11) is for a different hardware platform"

I don't know if there is any way around that. I don't have the hardware or the software to even try and figure it out.

Were you able to download the installer correctly or did you have to extract it twice?

#20 [bear]

[bear]

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:46

I've had enough of microsofts "support" for windows 64bit.

this is a BETA, get over it. You can't cry over them not releasing a BETA for 64bit windows. They will probably have it ready to ship with the final. Support and Beta do not mix.

#21 dpeters

dpeters

Neowinian

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:00

' date='May 17 2006, 08:46' post='587516293']
this is a BETA, get over it. You can't cry over them not releasing a BETA for 64bit windows. They will probably have it ready to ship with the final. Support and Beta do not mix.

You can quit your attitude towards my comment, it’s very unpleasing to be running a "future" computer architecture that fails on software support for even "BETA" software.

Yeah Media Player 11 is BETA, but this happened with IE7, I couldn’t test the BETA of that and work my website around any upcoming bugs - it was very stressful knowing people are viewing a website I can’t fix because I can’t install.

#22 +Vykranth

Vykranth

Chantez, compagnons, dans la nuit la Liberté nous écoute

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:01

' date='May 17 2006, 09:46' post='587516293']

Sure, Support and Beta are not equal to each other and people running XP x64 represents a ultra-minority of Windows users around.
Yet, what would it cost for MS to release x64 compatible versions of their beta?

#23 coth

coth

Neowinian

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:02

i can cry over them, because new wmp was more important for xp x64 than for 32 bit. except of business with urge there is nothing significantly new in wmp11 for 32 bit windows users. xp x64 users awating for working wmp for "good" year already. :crazy:

#24 dpeters

dpeters

Neowinian

Posted 17 May 2006 - 08:41

Ive got it installed at work on Windows XP SP2 (32bit) but its situated to the right of the screen and I can only see about 5px of width, the rest I guess is off the screen, anyone had this problem? (downloaded it from Microsoft).

#25 thechief55

thechief55

Neowinian

Posted 17 May 2006 - 09:12

Mr. Dick C. Normous, i'm sorry i forgot to tell about cryptografic service error . in my way you must make a copy of the original update.ini then when you run update.exe you must fast copy over modified inf the origal one and it won't get that error
btw: that instructions should work for any patch or update designed for Windows XP on Windows2003

#26 dpeters

dpeters

Neowinian

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:38

Mr. Dick C. Normous, i'm sorry i forgot to tell about cryptografic service error . in my way you must make a copy of the original update.ini then when you run update.exe you must fast copy over modified inf the origal one and it won't get that error
btw: that instructions should work for any patch or update designed for Windows XP on Windows2003

I have followed the instructions but dont get what you mean, where is the original update.ini? I dont overwrite one..

#27 thechief55

thechief55

Neowinian

Posted 17 May 2006 - 16:04

well i my first reply i said that you must modify the update.ini in order to work on w2k3 but first you make a backup copy of the original ini file . and when u run the update.exe you must very fast copy over the orignal ini file to avoid the crytographic service error :)

#28 OP Mr. Dick C. Normous

Mr. Dick C. Normous

Neowinian

Posted 17 May 2006 - 17:54

For some reason I am having a real difficult time getting the installer to work today. I've got to go to work in a couple of hours but I will work on this when I get home.

For the tinkering types out there you can try editing the two lines in install.bat that say "sleep 1". The number one is the amount of time the installer will pause before trying to do the file swap. Fast machines need less time to do the swap and slow machines can use slightly higher numbers.

#29 +Preppy

Preppy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 17 May 2006 - 20:24

The WMP team hearts all users. There's "N" people on the team spread across "Y" projects. Some choices have to be made to ensure that your favorite project gets due diligence. This very particular beta is Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP beta.

The right people at Microsoft are aware of the desire for this. :)

#30 OMEGA_RAZER

OMEGA_RAZER

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:37

EDIT: Tried it and I still get this. Any ideas?

That is all I ever get.... any ideas on how to fix this?

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!