HOW TO: Change your POST Bitmap

Ever thought it would look better if you had a custom image displayed when you turn on your laptop instead of the Dell logo? I found a utility from Dell which seems to work on most models, and replaces the default logo with a BMP of your choice. I've bundled the utility with a few splash screens, all you need to do is either follow the instructions to create a bootable USB key or burn the included ISO image and type 'spl2 imagename' at the prompt.

So far the utility is confirmed as working on the following models, although it probably works on a lot more:

• Inspiron 6000
  • Inspiron 8100
  • Inspiron 8600
  • Inspiron 9300
  • Inspiron 9400
  • Dimension 800
  • Dimension 820
  • XPS Gen2 (M170)
  • XPS M1330

If it works for you and your model isn't listed here, please post to let others know. There are three splash screens included in the package, but if anyone wants any other included, please post them here and I'll zip them up with the next release.

Preview

dellsplash.jpg

download.pngDownload

07/09/2007: USB instructions added.

15/09/2006: Archive updated, see post below.

Be warned messing with your rom is risky... do so at your own risk.

Edited by Echilon

Hey, that's awesome!

It works well...

Here is a quick tutorial on how to add your pictures.

1) Extract "BOOTIMG.BIN" from the iso, use the way you like the best. We won't need the iso anymore.

2) Use something to edit the bin, it's a floppy disk image.

I used : http://chitchat.at.infoseek.co.jp/vmware/vfd.html

It's really good, installs/uninstalls easilly without touching the registry (surprising), it should be easy to use, start "vfdwin.exe)

3) Now that you see the contents of the disk, you're going to be able to add the image you will create, that image MUST be 640x480 AND 16 colors, in .BMP. I won't tell you how to do it, there should be plenty of good tuts on google (maybe even here too)

4) Use your favorite cd burner (I use CDBurnerXP Pro, it's free, really, even if the name shouts "LOOK AT ME, I'M SHAREWARE". http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ ) to make a new project.

5) Use your (now hopefully modified) BOOTIMG.BIN and set it as the bootable part of the cd. (Disc -> Boot Options on CDBurnerXP Pro)

6) Burn.

7) Reboot your computer and boot on the CD

8) do spl2.exe YOURIMAGENAME.BMP

Hope that worked

And, it was made on an inspiron 9300, add it to your compatibility list!

• 3 months later...

Small update: Seems like Dell were trying to confuse people. To add your own images, you just need to add them to the bootsector, then burn a blank CD using the bootsector. The CD can be empty. Full instructions are included in the archive.

• 3 weeks later...

Works on Inspiron 6000.

Although it seems like now the fan spins faster on the initial boot than it used to. Like a quick 1/4 second WHIRR!!, and then back to normal... :unsure:

Your imagination...

Stupid question, and i know it is but it is just something in my head:

Does this make the computer alitte faster in going thru the post?

No, it just changes the image displays from the dell logo to one of your choice.

Your imagination...

No, it just changes the image displays from the dell logo to one of your choice.

How would you put this back though?

Someone provide default image.

• 4 months later...

I realize this is a couple months old, but .

I gave this a try on my e1705/9400, works just as expected

edit: so there is definitely no way to get the animated progress bar, probably not (not a huge deal)

edit: also is there a way to change the Dell Media Direct boot bitmap screen to something else. (the one you get by starting using the mediadirect power button) (this would be really nice) Please someone this splash screen must be editable somehow !?!

I realize neowin isn't a dedicated dell laptop forum (posted at a few already), but maybe someone has a dell notebook and has figured out how to change it.

edit: also is there a way to change the Dell Media Direct boot bitmap screen to something else. (the one you get by starting using the mediadirect power button) (this would be really nice) Please someone this splash screen must be editable somehow !?!

MediaDirect is a stripped down version of XP, so you should be able to drop any custom version of ntoskrnl.exe into your /system32 directory to change the boot screen.

does it really have to be a dell?

It's a Dell utility for Dell laptops, I can't think of any reason it would work on anything other than a Dell, but if you want to try it, give it a go.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had an old program that worked on a certain brand of BIOS, any system with that brand of BIOS could accept them.

It gets pointless after a while though.

I had an old program that worked on a certain brand of BIOS, any system with that brand of BIOS could accept them.

It gets pointless after a while though.

I wouldn't say it's pointless. It's a way to customise your BIOS boot screen, and you can add your name and contact details in the event your laptop gets stolen. It's unlikely the chav who steals it will know how to reflash your BIOS ;)

Well, i mean it's pointless, in that it's only displayed for a few seconds.

On my old Celeron, it was only up for 1-2 seconds.

• 1 month later...

i love this. now my gothic inspiron 6000 only boots up only showing black! i love it. now i can be a true artist and just work on my electronic music without the stupid, greedy, money loving advertising world ruining my peaceful space-like mood of the creator, by their wicked splash screens and satanic logos. thank you :) btw, here is the "blank.bmp" i used. bye

blank.bmp

You should add a warning - Anything that writes to BIOS can potentially brick the motherboard.

I bricked mine doing something else that dealt with writing to BIOS >>

In what way could it go wrong? It will either replace your current image or it won't.

did you ever forget that you are messing up with your rom....

worst case --- rom erased, and lost...treatment---- flash it again...

thnx any how :p

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...