3 Red lights of Doom

Another quick update...

Just got of the phone with Microsoft after my Xbox once again locked up after turning it on. This time after restarting it I got an error 71 on the screen.

I've now got to wait for an email that's going to give me details on which courier I need to contact to arrange collection etc.

From what the guy on the phone told me, I'll be waiting a minimum of 2 weeks before getting the 360 back again as the repair centre is 'very busy'. :(

Another quick update...

Just got of the phone with Microsoft after my Xbox once again locked up after turning it on. This time after restarting it I got an error 71 on the screen.

I've now got to wait for an email that's going to give me details on which courier I need to contact to arrange collection etc.

From what the guy on the phone told me, I'll be waiting a minimum of 2 weeks before getting the 360 back again as the repair centre is 'very busy'. :(

I just had the same experience tonight. I just bought Perfect Dark last weekend and it has been randomly crashing. Today the 360 was crashing while playing a DVD. Tonight I turned the 360 on and I was presented with the 3 red lights. Called tech support and followed their steps (powder down unit, remove HD, unplug power supply for wall outlet, wait, then plug it all back in except the HD). Unit crashed on the blade screen. Now I have to wait for the UPS box to send it back. Sounds like a good 2-3 week turn around before I get my replacement/repair back. I was surprised to find out the 360 has a 180 day warrentee. I seemed to remember reading in the manual it was only originally 90 days. I know for sure once I get my unit back I am going to purchase that 2 year $50.00 warrentee extention.

.Jeriko

I'm still waiting to get a correct shipping sticker sent to me. I've had 2 UPS stickers mailed to me so far and every one has had something wrong with the address. I've phoned up the 360 support for a 4th time now to double check they have the correct details, at the moment I am still waiting for another UPS shipping sticker to be mailed to me.

Once I get this, I still have to arrange collection with UPS and then wait 2-3 weeks to get the 360 back.

Microsoft really needs to work on the whole Customer support scene. When I had to contact Sony's Playstation support because I had a problem with my PSP I was speaking to English people (not being put through to a foreign call centre) and when they diagnosed a fault they sorted me out with a brand new PSP which turned up the very next day.

This whole experience is going to make me think twice about buying another Microsoft console, that?s for sure.

Edited by ReAnimation

Looks like there is a big difference in MS support in USA compared to Europe. I received my (correctly labeled) box the next day and was told I would get it back in a week or less, but I ended up just exchanging it at Best Buy.

I heard that the first batch was like this, I haven't heard anything from the more recent versions of the 360. You just might have gotten one of the first round "buggy" versions.