How Do You Pronounce ".gif" file acronym?

How do you pronounce .gif?  

331 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce .gif?

• Gif as in "gift"
    • Jif as in "jiff"

like "jif"

Believe it or not, they are both acceptable, tho the more proper way is "jif." Love the english language don't ya?

G makes a guh sound, so gif

Gin

Gibberish

Gingivitus

Ginnseng

Giant

Gist

Giraffe

Of course you can make alot of cases for your way too:

Girl

Give

Gimp

Girdle

Gig

But to definatively say "G makes a guh sound" You'd be wrong.

Edited by Erich

Usually I just say "G-I-F," but if I were to say it as one word I would pronounce it "gif" as in gift.

Believe it or not, they are both acceptable, tho the more proper way is "jif." Love the english language don't ya?

I'm not arguing, but this is more of a curious question: why do you say "jif" is the more proper way?

Usually I just say "G-I-F," but if I were to say it as one word I would pronounce it "gif" as in gift.

I'm not arguing, but this is more of a curious question: why do you say "jif" is the more proper way?

If you investigate it a little further, it's not a hard rule, but most 'G' words that end with a soft sound have a soft G, where as most the words with a hard sound at the end of the word use a hard G.

Best example:

Gibberish is to Gib like Gif is to Gift

If you investigate it a little further, it's not a hard rule, but most 'G' words that end with a soft sound have a soft G, where as most the words with a hard sound at the end of the word use a hard G.

Best example:

Gibberish is to Gib like Gif is to Gift

Ah, I forgot about that rule.

I still think it sounds better as "gif" :p