How Do You Pronounce ".gif" file acronym?

How do you pronounce .gif?  

331 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce .gif?

• Gif as in "gift"
    • Jif as in "jiff"

Its not 'Jraphic Interchange Format'

that [if you were registered insane] would be .jif - which as far as I've come across, isn't a known image format.

its 'Graphics Interchange Format' with in turn, makes the acronym .gif.

so pronounce it with a G

[And Electronic Punk, Yes it did become cif.... I think jif was politically incorrect or something crazy like that]

The initial intent was for it be pronounced J-if, however I think most people pronounce it G-if. I always say J-if, as was intended, the format is so old now, tho, that the initial intended pronunciation has been lost in the mists of time.

The older among us probably get it right, while the young whipper-snappers among us will argue to the end that its supposed to be G-if with the hard pronunciation of G matching closer to the pronunciation of the word G-raphics.

Gif(t) and Gee you eye for me. I know that they weren't intended to be pronounced that way but I for one have never heard anyone say jif (other than referring to peanut butter or the old back in a jiff expression), and gooey just doesn't do it for me.

[elliot] Gif. I once met someone who said jiff and everytime they did it made me want to stick my foot in their ass.
:laugh:

This I found on the older thread (dd. Jan 2 2005) with the same subject matter and thought that it was appropriate in terms of my feelings on the subject! :)

Did some googling and found out that "Jiff" is actually the correct way to pronounce it.

But it seems that pronouncing it as "gif(t)" is more common.

Yeah, I had heard that before but I've still never heard anyone say jiff in real life.