MSN Explorer 9.5 Released!

Question

299244252_b1611cea06.jpg

Full Sized Picture

299304472_3a7cfda528.jpg

Full Sized Picture

I think this will be the death of MSN and the life of Windows Live Explorer. I can tell by the icon mix (which looks pretty ugly together unless you move them in the right places). I had the program mess up on me 3 times after installation, but everything is running smoothly now. Some icons have been changed and a new search has been added to the dashboard. Phishing, Microsoft Digital Image Standard 2006(Replacing Picture It!) and MSN Photo Explorer has been added to the browser. Some minor fixes as well. No tabs yet! I guess we have to wait until MSN... I mean Windows Live Explorer to see major changes. I recommend the upgrade to any MSN Premium user. It's a little better looking and faster with the Messenger built back in.

I expected more, but I guess I have to wait until the next major GM to be released.

Great job, MSN/Live!

I expect more with the next release.

ALSO, btw if your old msn links don't work. They are not out dated. MSN Sends as update to old Explorers and re-routes them to make you upgrade. Pretty sh*tty of the company.

I still think 8.0 was the best one for broadband users.

Click here to install :)

Edited by yanike

18 answers to this question

My mom still uses this, still does not work on vista... I wonder if they plan on supporting that or not, force people who are used to this app to use ie7 and windows live mail desktop.

wow... this thing still alive :blink:

I remember before that I have a PC (in 2002 / 2003) my friend was using that, it was sloooooow.

My mom still uses this, still does not work on vista... I wonder if they plan on supporting that or not, force people who are used to this app to use ie7 and windows live mail desktop.

MSN is easier and faster. IE7 is nice but doesn't support some sites and codings. Windows Live Desktop and MSN Email are both great. MSN still has IE on performance and content. I'd rather force people to get MSN and stay with IE6 instead of using IE7. Maybe after a few more fixes to IE7 I will recommend upgrades. I will never recommended leaving MSN for IE. Now, as for AOL users, y'all should have been with MSN since 8.0 release.

Edited by yanike

MSN is easier and faster. IE7 is nice but doesn't support some sites and codings. Windows Live Desktop and MSN Email are both great. MSN still has IE on performance and content. I'd rather force people to get MSN and stay with IE6 instead of using IE7. Maybe after a few more fixes to IE7 I will recommend upgrades. I will never recommended leaving MSN for IE.

Isn't MSN Explorer just an IE frontend? :huh:

Smctainsh

For those who don't know. MSN enhances IE, meaning security, stability and speed. People think since it's a shell there will be no speed or security difference. It's just like Maxthon (which if you do have IE7, Maxthon 2 Beta is incredibly fast with it), a very fast and advanced browser with the IE engine. There is a big difference.

i remember using it when it first came out, i liked it, but migrated away from it into netscape, then Firefox.

i logged into it recently, and was rememberd all the bookmarks that i had ( they are roaming profiles ) that were STILL in the favorites list,,,,,and this was years ago. MSNExplorer is still a good idea for people that move from computer to computer and want their Favorites/IM/Email tied into one UI, but there is also that functionality via 3rd party sites with other browsers, including a plug-in for firefox i think.

I still don't get the point of MSN Explorer. Is it purely a tool that allows you to browse and have MSN contacts in 1 place? As well as a few other features? Like integrated Media Player and Photo Explorer. I don't see what is wrong with using the standard packages. The standard packages seem to be much better supported. How long has it been since MSN Explorer got its last upgrade? Version 7 comes bundled with Windows XP and I think it must be the least used componant of the lot!

Yeah I know, it is not worth the money. Even AOL's browser is now free.

Yeah, but very very slow and full of ads. MSN no ads and fast. Only get this service if you use Hotmail, MSN Messenger and MSN/Live Services alot.

Yeah, but very very slow and full of ads. MSN no ads and fast. Only get this service if you use Hotmail, MSN Messenger and MSN/Live Services alot.

Actually, I take that back. AOL members with different Cable connections, try this. If you go to the Connection Expert and change the "Automatic Connection Script" to Cable. It will start using your LAN connection and not AOL's and start making AOL go in speeds you never seen before. hmm.. things you can find out with fooling with programs. If you have AOL Cable, sorry you're stuck with AOL's connection.

MSN is still better because you stay connected all the time.

Edited by yanike

Been using it since version 8.0. Nice to see the update. I basically use this and Firefox. Firefox for browsing, and this for email, calendar, tasks, and contacts. Very useful when working offline. :)

I'm only a couple of months late with this update I see,lol!

I know Windows Live is in full swing atm but I would of thought I'd be notified by email or something regarding the upgrade,I only checked for updates today.

Theres also an enhanced Email thingy bob available to install with MSN Explorer 9.5,anyone noticed many changes?,I've only noticed the icons look a bit different,the search bar,the option to install tha enhanced email & the photo thingy.

Is it faster,more reliable etc?

I'm hoping MSN Premium will become Windows Live Premium for version 10,maybe ditch the Mc Afee software in favour for Windows Live One Care amongst many other enhancements etc.

Anyone no why the MSN groups button has gone?,I miss it

Edited by jameseuk