I'll be updating this first post with new info (with the help of members of the community).
In the mean time, check out www.vanishingpointwiki.com, created by our good friends at unfiction.
This has been split from the previous thread, starting with the post where it was noticed the site had changed.
For newcomers: Check out this guide regarding Alternate Reality Games, again created by our good friends at unfiction.
Week 1 summary thanks to Manish's post
There are 4 boxes. Each with 4 "Easy", "Medium" & "Hard" puzzles to solve. Every week starting from the 8th Jan. 2007, a new box will open.
Solving 1 "Easy" puzzle = 10 points
Solving 1 "Medium" puzzle = 20 points
Solving 1 "Hard" puzzle = 50 points
Therefore, max. points for each box (just by solving puzzles) = (4x10)+(4x20)+(4x50) = 320 points
Points are also available by:-
Registering = 20 points
Referring others = 10 points per person referred (max. 200 points available by referral, i.e. you will only be awarded for referring 20 people)
Therefore, max. possible points = 20 + (320x4) + (10x20) = 1500 points
More details on how to play
The "Meta" puzzle has only 1 winner. The first person to complete the "Meta" puzzle successfully will have their name printed on every AMD Athalon 64 FX chip manufactured until 31st March 2007.
Box 1 -- 08.01 Time passes...
Watch Spring: FIVE
- Following times can be seen in an image of the Sun: "2:30", "5:00", "12:00", "1:30", "8:00", "7:00"
- Move the sundial to those times
Mantle Clock: HONEY
- Click on the watch to reveal the spring
- Spring snaps into place when the beginning of the spring is moved to just below the first "T" of in the first column
- By observing the letters the spring directly crosses through, we get "how many waves"
- In the video, Loki waves 5 times
Gears: TIME TRAVEL
- 2 times can be derived from the Box 1 video: "694 + 42 = 7:36" & "114 + 224 = 3:38"
- When observed upside down, they spell "bee gel"
- a.k.a. HONEY
- Place gears into correct position as shown:
- This reveals a question: "what did he write about?"
- The video features a picture of a man between the years "1866" & "1946"
[indent=1]Google or Wikipedia (or whatever) reveals man is H.G. Wells
- He wrote about TIME TRAVEL
Cuckoos: BIG BEN
- Video reveals a clock with 1-12 in the wrong positions: at 12:00 = 9; at 1:00 = 6; at 2:00 = 4; at 3:00 = 11; at 4:00 = 8; at 5:00 = 12; at 6:00 = 3; at 7:00 = 5; at 8:00 = 10; at 9:00 = 7; at 10:00 = 1; at 11:00 = 2
- Look at the departures in numerical order, i.e. Stockholm at 1pm is the first, & the departure time corresponds to a number on the weird clock
- Find this number letter in the place name, e.g. 1pm = 6, therefore you need the 6th letter in Stockholm - "H"
- Reorder the letters in departure time order
- Click on the clocks & a cuckoo pops out & indicates the value to fill in under its clock
- A broken cuckoo = 0
- The 2 missing values can be filled in using the numbers "3" and "7" found in the video
- This reveals co-ordinates "51°30'02.61"N 0°07'28.66W" to BIG BENPocket Watches: GREENb>[list]
- I'm telling you which watches to click on by using a telephone dialpad system, i.e. 1 = 1st watch
- Click on 1, 3, 7 & 9, i.e. the watches on the corners of the square
- Click on 2, 4, 6 & 8
- Click 5
- Either from the obvious colour you see or the colour of the disk in the video with a $ in it, you get GREENCurrent Events: HORIZONb>[list]
- Connect the photos, from left to right, to these dates: "2/14/06", "1/11/06", "10/23/01", "4/27/98", "5/9/06", "10/2/00", "12/31/96", "11/7/95", "10/29/93", "11/26/96". E.g. 1st photo = "2/14/06"
- That crosses out the following numbers: "3795211"
- Using the video, the Las Vegas sign shows "866", therefore if we join the numbers - "866 3795211"
- This number can be dialled & Loki asks "what line separates the earth from the sky?"Hard Puzzles:u>Starfield: WASHINGTONb>[list]
- Click on the book on the left hand side & the first time is unknown ( ? ), which the video reveals to be "3:15"
- Use A=1, B=2 & so on, to turn thhouru> part of each time into a letter - "CONNECT THE MINUTES" is revealed
- Thminutesu> part of each time will give the position of the minute hand on a normal clock, which gives the direction on how to connect the stars, i.e. "3:15" = ":15" as the minute part, therefore connect the star directly right of the Start point
- Provides an outline of the state of WASHINGTONCalendars: INTERROBANGb>[list]
- Loki mentions the following months in a particular order: "June", "January", "April", "March", "May" and "February"
- This order corresponds to the order on the scrap note next to the calendar, i.e. June = 1.
- Mark in the dates on the months using the note, to give a cube
- This gives "?!" a.k.a. an INTERROBANGRepair Table: WRINKLEb>[list]
- The video reveals the following images: "dalmations", "trombones", "mice", "ball", "route sign", "playing card - Jack" & "cat"
- Each images has a number associated with it: "101 dalmations", "76 trombones", "3 blind mice", "8 ball", "route 66", "blackjack 21" & "9 lives of a cat"
- Fill in these numbers on the digital clocks
- Using morse code, where - is a dash & | is a dot, WRINKLE is uncoveredHourglasses: CANDELABRAb>[list]
- Click Start 3 times so all hourglasses have run out of time
- Click on the 12-sec & 4-sec hourglass switch, & click Start
- Click on the 7-sec & 4-sec hourglass switch, & click Start
- Click on the 7-sec & 4-sec hourglass switch, & click Start
- "GRAINS" is revealed
- The video features hourglasses with @ symbols everywhere, which hints towards emailing "firstname.lastname@example.org"
- Emails back with an auto responseMeta Puzzle:u>[list]
- By completetinallu> the above puzzles, a video is unlocked
- At the end of the video, "/on_the_run" flashes a few times
- This revealed "http://www.vanishing...com/on_the_run"
- Next step was to contact Loki...
- Emailing her at email@example.com leads to an email message saying:
Life is a mix of work and play. You've found play...
- Emailing her at firstname.lastname@example.org leads to an email message saying:
Hmmm. Not quite what I had in mind. Try harder - then listen closely.
- Then some genius had the idea to ring MS & ask to be transferred to Loki
- This connects you to the following message: "Awesome work. All knowledge eventually needs effective diagnosis."
- Put the first letters to give "AWAKENED", which led to "http://www.vanishing...e.com/awakened"
- The number given on the site requires you to provide a fax number
- You receive a fax
- It also reveals Loki's name is "L. Kitsume"
- This AT&T building is now an AMD building & the phone number is "408 749 4000" & use extension "x55654" from the fax
- The following message is heard:
Hi, this is Loki. Or rather her electronic footprint left behind on this machine.
Funny how the inanimate world retains traces of things long after they've disappeared, isn't it?
If you're calling about the murmuring rock project, it's on hold indefinitely, unfortunately.
- Google or Wikipedia (or whatever) murmuring rock & you encouter the word/name Lorelei
- Implying Loki's real name is Lorelei Kitsume & that's basically where we're at
- Also a bunch of white squares have been found in the individual puzzles: location and zoomed in versions