PSP help?

I want to buy a PSP and i heard to get the most out of it i need the 1.5 version, is this right?

Also what sort of things can i do with this, can i save games on the memory card and play them meanin i dont have to buy umd's and also does it have a internet browser, what else cna be done with the PSP?

For general PSP questions -> http://www.yourpsp.com/psp/locale.html

Any PSP can play audio, let you watch video, play games via UMD, save to a memory stick, let you view pictures.

PSPs with v2.00 firmware and above can browse the internet, get RSS feeds.

PSPs with v3.00 can interact with PS3s, download original PSOne games from the PS store.

PSPs with firmware 3.10 and below can be downgraded to 1.50.

PSPs can be used for all sorts of homebrew and piracy such as you are suggesting.

PSPs with firmware 1.50 can be flashed to 'OE' firmware, which can do many things, most usefully, employ the homebrew capabilities of 1.50, whilst giving all the bells and whistles of the later firmwares.

Custom firmwares are created by Dark Alex, I suggest if you want up to the minute news on PSP homebrew releases, you should check out PSPUpdates, or, if you are feeling even mildly intelligent in the future, we also have THIS ENTIRE SECTION OF THE FORUM, which has many easy to find duplicate threads on all of the above.

All of the above is correct except there hasn't been a downgrader released for 3.10 or 3.11 firmware yet. So, it's any PSP firmware version 3.03 or below that can be downgraded. Firmware versions up to 2.80 can be downgraded without an unpatched copy of GTA:LCS, firmware versions 2.81 to 3.03 need an unpatched copy of GTA:LCS.

I just didn't want a poor soul to stumble along and upgrade their PSP to 3.10 or 3.11 thinking they could downgrade. I'm actually a bit surprised that there hasn't been a downgrader for those revisions released yet.

Thanks mate, ive also heard that downgrading can be abit of a hassle and could brick the psp, is this right and what are the chances?

Also once i have the psp to version 1.5 is it easy to do the rest, ie set it up for playng games of memory card etc and does 1.5 have a web browser and wifi?

The newer downgraders are pretty safe, provided you follow instructions and use the correct downgrader for the motherboard in your PSP. As forster stated above, only 2.00 firmware and above has the web browser. Once you get to 1.50, I would highly suggest installing Dark_Alex OE firmware version 3.03OE-C or 3.10OE-A'. They combine the greatness that is firmware 1.50 with all of the features of the newer official firmwares, such as POPS (PSX on PSP).