C&C Generals and Zero Hour... Technical Difficulties

Hello,

When trying to play C&C Generals and Zero Hour I immediately get the message on Technical Difficulties (see screenshot).

I have reinstalled Windows XP, with all latest updates and drivers (also ATi's Catalyst 7.2).

I also had this message once on my other GPU - GeForce 4200 Ti, but than a restart of the game was sufficient.

My PC specs are in my sig, but I guess it has nothing to do with this... right?

Any options on how to get the games running?

Thx

EDIT:

Or can it be that my PSU has not enough Watts, since my new Sapphire is requiring a 450W PSU (it says on the box)... and my current PSU is -I guess- 400W?

post-35056-1173310269_thumb.jpg

Edited by kiddingguy

OK.

PSU is not the case, since I bought a 600W CoolerMaster PSU today :(

Can my new ATi card be the bottleneck here??

Possible your system is overheating or your memory is bad, have you done a ram test?

I guess not.

Speedfan gives all good temperatures.

RAM is okay.

I can run Medieval II Total War just fine (and requires more system usage and sys-requirements).

It looks like my ATi card is the issue here. However, I also did some quick googling and cannot find anything related tot C&C and X1950 Pro :(

Is this correct or do you guys have other things I can check??

I believe I had a similar issue in the past and did the following to resolve it:

Uninstall Zero Hour, Uninstall Generals, make sure it is completely uninstalled, reboot, install Generals, patch Generals, install Zero Hour, patch Zero Hour, let me know how it works out for you.

I had this issue a million times. normaly i'd just ignore it untill my next reformat. but i'm pretty sure uninstalling it will fix it

I believe I had a similar issue in the past and did the following to resolve it:

Uninstall Zero Hour, Uninstall Generals, make sure it is completely uninstalled, reboot, install Generals, patch Generals, install Zero Hour, patch Zero Hour, let me know how it works out for you.

Deinstall & RegCleaner and new installation did the job!

Thx for the tip!

I can play both games (C&C and ZH) now.

• 3 years later...

For all vista users, i have found a solution.The problem seems to be that you cannot run it without beeing admin.So if you get this messange,simply follow theese steps.

1: Go to your install folder (Where the zero hour is)

2:Find the start file (generals.exe)

3:Right click it, and click properties

4:Then go to compabillity

5:Mark -Run as service pack 2.Make sure thats on.This will trick generals to think its a servicepack 2 computer, and not a vista.Many old games like Zero hour cannot be run on the newest computers.Like vista.

6:At the bottom at compabillity you mark -Run as administrator.

7:You are done, but before you can run it.Reboot,or you can right click generals.exe and click run as administrator.I recomment you reboot, so you dont have any problem with the admin stuff.

8:Play you Command & Conquer Generals:Zero hour

Hope this helps :rolleyes: