Can't get halo 2 vista to install...

I can install the dedicated server and other option, but not the actual game itself. I don't know what the heck is wrong here. I have a 7 month old computer, very powerful. So what's the deal? I don't have any spyware programs running or anything that would cause this game to not install. I choose my install directory then hit "continue" after that the menu just goes away and nothing happens.

go run the installer manually as administrator

Yes I tried that by running the install from the run box on the start menu, but it still does the same thing.

Edited by Ionium

is it even out yet to buy ?

yes it is in some countries

I can install the dedicated server and other option, but not the actual game itself. I don't know what the heck is wrong here. I have a 7 month old computer, very powerful. So what's the deal? I don't have any spyware programs running or anything that would cause this game to not install. I choose my install directory then hit "continue" after that the menu just goes away and nothing happens.

There was another thread but i can't find it.

Anyway here is what you do,

Enable Secondary Logon in the services and the problem should be sorted. :cool:

is it even out yet to buy ?

Yes it is, in fact I've had my copy for a couple days now snagged fresh from Gamestop for $49.99 when I traded in my Gamecube, couple of games and a memory card. In fact I think my copy was so fresh, that I got the Version of Halo 2 With Partial Nudity, as it contains a label warning of the Partial Nudity.

I really liked the fact I could just pop it in and play while it was installing on Vista :D

@ The Op, does your system meet the Requirements listed on the box? Doesn't mean because your PC is only 7 months old, that it doesn't contain some crappy integrated intel GPU or something else. It might be if your system doesn't meet the requirements, it will refuse to install, because of the new play while it installs feature.

If that's not the case, I don't know what could be wrong oO

I just grabbed Halo 2 today and was about to install it when I noticed this in the manual:

"You can begin playing Halo 2 right away while installation continues in the background."

Now either my brain is cramping up on me again or this is something Ive never seen before. I mean, Ive installed many games over the years but never once started playing while it was still installing..I mean it sounds friggin ridiculous. :blink:

Is it absolutely necessary to have this service running? I ask as I pick my copy up on Friday when it is out in the UK, and have to say I always disable this service (even when I was using XP) as it doesnt seem too secure ...

Secondary Logon

Description:

Enables starting processes under alternate credentials. If this service is stopped, this type of logon access will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitely depend on it will fail to start.

To me a process that allows someone other than myself to start/stop processes isn't very good, maybe I'm paranoid, but that's just me.

Is it absolutely necessary to have this service running? I ask as I pick my copy up on Friday when it is out in the UK, and have to say I always disable this service (even when I was using XP) as it doesnt seem too secure ...

To me a process that allows someone other than myself to start/stop processes isn't very good, maybe I'm paranoid, but that's just me.

believe it or not it is required to have Secondary Logon enabled, don't ask me why because i haven't got a clue but good thing is that if you enable it than the games works. :crazy:

believe it or not it is required to have Secondary Logon enabled, don't ask me why because i haven't got a clue but good thing is that if you enable it than the games works. :crazy:

Hmm you are indeed correct, bought the game today and it wouldn't install. Enabled the Secondary Logon and it installed fine. However I cannot disable the Secondary Logon as then I cannot play them game, what the hell is it doing in the background that needs different credentials than what I am already using :(

I really liked the fact I could just pop it in and play while it was installing on Vista

Awesome. I'll have to pick it up. I'm saving up cash right now so It's going to be a little while.

Hello,

I too have a problem with installing Halo 2 for Vista. When I click to install (or to start now) I get an error message:

One of the installation steps failed. Do you want to retry?

redist\vcredist.msi:

This installation pack can't be opened. Contact the company of this aplication to ensure this is a this is a legal Windows installer-pack.

When I try to execute this file manually in the map "redist", it sais this is not a legal installer pack :wacko:.

What can I do to solve this?

Crap I've got a new problem, I upgraded to windows 64 bit and now the game won't run, I get this message:

th_15010_Untitled-1_122_584lo.jpg

Did reinstalling it work? Try a search for the file or maybe someone in here can send it to you.

Halo 2 for Vista with 8800 sli is so horrible. Now most of it is to blame with Nvidia, but Microsoft and Nvidia should have worked together to release a good driver before releasing the game. I get intermittent flashing video and cannot select 2560x1600 resolution for my 30" panel. All my other games work just fine. Anyone else have this issue? I tried all the Nvidia drivers including the latest leaked driver all with issues.

th_15010_Untitled-1_122_584lo.jpg

You need to reinstall. 32 bit dll's are totally different than 64 bit dll's.

Does anyone recognize this error? (partially dutch)

(my sytem configuration is correct and secudary logon is enabled (no more than one account though))

post-228672-1181421087.jpg

Edited by 3lit3

yes it is in some countries

There was another thread but i can't find it.

Secondary Logon has never been disabled for me and i cant get it to install.

Secondary Logon has never been disabled for me and i cant get it to install.

Ditto. I checked to make sure the service was running, but the Setup just keeps closing as soon as I click "Continue".

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by David T

Mine won't install either. Somethings up. I have secondary logon enabled, it just quits. Although get this, I don't believe Vista reads my CPU speed correctly. I have it overclocked to 2.3Ghz, yet first time I tried to install it said my CPU had compatability issues and that it was running at 1Ghz. It then gave me an option to run or don't run. I chose run and that's been it. Never produced that screen again and after choosing path, it just disappears.

So question to you all. You have overclocked CPU's?