Anyone have Redhat 8.0 screenshots?

Does anyone know why my fonts are all messed up in Mozilla after forcinf a 1.2.1 install? it looks like they have the Xft working on them just all in some wierd Times New Roman kinda font :(

Ive attached a screenshot.

post-30-1042944474.jpg

Does anyone know why my fonts are all messed up in Mozilla after forcinf a 1.2.1 install? it looks like they have the Xft working on them just all in some wierd Times New Roman kinda font :(

Hi Tokhra :)

Could you tell me step by step how get that smooth fonts? pleeeeeeeeeease :D !

I see you use ms font, where did take them and how to install them. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Hi Mezz ;),

I already have that package installed ...so

Hi, jkui9 ;),

I use apt-get for redhat ...that's true its very cool ...just type apt-get install mozilla and you havel mozilla downloaded and installed (apt-get take care of the dependencies) but you can install only stuf that is available on the server (for redhat it's freshrpms.net).

hmm... is there some kind of font rendering in RH8? sure looks smooth

Could you tell me step by step how get that smooth fonts? pleeeeeeeeeease :D !

I see you use ms font, where did take them and how to install them. THANKS IN ADVANCE

To install the Xft ver of mozilla all i did was download all the Xft RPM's and used

rpm -ivh --force *.rpm

to install all the RPM's and force them to ignore dependencies. However, you can see the result of that the fonts are all messed up. To install the Windows fonts i just mounted my NTFS drive and copied the *.ttf fonts from in the Windows\Fonts folder to ~/.fonts

Apparently thats all you have to do.... still dont know how to install Mozilla properly tho :(

Hi Mezz ;),

I already have that package installed ...so

# rpmbuild --rebuild mozilla-1.2.1-0_rh8_xft.src.rpm

# cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/

# rpm -ivh mozilla*

BTW: It's good idea to uninstall your old Mozilla.

# rpm -qa | grep mozilla

When, the list comes up, so just copy-n-paste one by one to uninstall them. To uninstall looks like this..

# rpm -e ????

Replace ???? to the name of copy-n-paste that came from the list.

If you keep can't figure things out, then I suggest you to install RedHat 8.1.

[root@dragon root]# rpmbuild --rebuild mozilla-1.2.1-0_rh8_xft.src.rpm

Installing mozilla-1.2.1-0_rh8_xft.src.rpm

Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.80426

+ umask 022

+ cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD

+ LANG=C

+ export LANG

+ rm -rf mozilla

+ /usr/bin/gzip -dc /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/mozilla-source-1.2.1-0_rh8_xft.tar.gz

+ tar -xf -

+ STATUS=0

+ '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'

+ cd mozilla

++ /usr/bin/id -u

+ '[' 0 = 0 ']'

+ /bin/chown -Rhf root .

++ /usr/bin/id -u

+ '[' 0 = 0 ']'

+ /bin/chgrp -Rhf root .

+ /bin/chmod -Rf a+rX,g-w,o-w .

+ echo 'Patch #7 (mozilla-redhat-home-page.patch):'

Patch #7 (mozilla-redhat-home-page.patch):

+ patch -p1 -s

+ echo 'Patch #7 (mozilla-redhat-home-page.patch):'

Patch #7 (mozilla-redhat-home-page.patch):

+ patch -p1 -R -s

+ echo 'Patch #8 (mozilla-redhat-mail-home-page.patch):'

Patch #8 (mozilla-redhat-mail-home-page.patch):

+ patch -p1 -s

+ echo 'Patch #8 (mozilla-redhat-mail-home-page.patch):'

Patch #8 (mozilla-redhat-mail-home-page.patch):

+ patch -p1 -R -s

+ echo 'Patch #11 (mozilla-taskbar-nomozilla.patch):'

Patch #11 (mozilla-taskbar-nomozilla.patch):

+ patch -p1 -s

+ echo 'Patch #11 (mozilla-taskbar-nomozilla.patch):'

Patch #11 (mozilla-taskbar-nomozilla.patch):

+ patch -p1 -R -s

+ echo 'Patch #12 (mozilla-psfonts-7.2.patch):'

Patch #12 (mozilla-psfonts-7.2.patch):

+ patch -p1 -s

+ echo 'Patch #13 (mozilla-nspr-packages.patch):'

Patch #13 (mozilla-nspr-packages.patch):

+ patch -p1 -s

+ echo 'Patch #14 (mozilla-default-plugin-less-annoying.patch):'

Patch #14 (mozilla-default-plugin-less-annoying.patch):

+ patch -p1 -s

+ exit 0

Executing(%build): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.59327

+ umask 022

+ cd mozilla

+ LANG=C

+ export LANG

+ '[' -x /usr/bin/getconf ']'

++ getconf _NPROCESSORS_ONLN

+ CPUS=1

+ test x1 = x -o x1 = x0

+ CC=gcc296

+ CXX=g++296

+ BUILD_OFFICIAL=1

+ MOZILLA_OFFICIAL=1

+ ./configure --prefix=/usr --enable-optimize --disable-debug --with-default-mozilla-five-home=/usr/lib/mozilla-1.2.1 --enable-strip-libs --disable-tests --disable-short-wchar --enable-nspr-autoconf --enable-extensions=default,irc --without-mng --enable-crypto --disable-xprint --without-system-nspr --disable-freetype2 --enable-xft --with-system-zlib --mandir=/usr/share/man

creating cache ./config.cache

checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu

checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu

checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu

checking for gcc... gcc296

checking whether the C compiler (gcc296  ) works... no

configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.59327 (%build)

RPM build errors:

Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.59327 (%build)

So ?!!? ... There is nothing inside the directories under /usr/src/redhat ...all are empty :( :cry:

the fonts are supposed to be like that in the mozilla-xft. Its not because you used --force!

I know they are fugly, I think I'd rather use the normal version unless there's a fix for it.

[root@dragon root]# rpmbuild --rebuild mozilla-1.2.1-0_rh8_xft.src.rpm

Installing mozilla-1.2.1-0_rh8_xft.src.rpm

<snip>

checking for gcc... gcc296

checking whether the C compiler (gcc296  ) works... no

configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.

<snip>

So ?!!? ... There is nothing inside the directories under /usr/src/redhat ...all are empty

It looks like you need to install some more stuff in the developer packages area. Your GCC is missing something that need to be compile with, which it's compat-gcc and more gcc stuff. It's good idea to install whole KDE, Gnome, System developer stuff.

Hi pals,

I'm very desapointed ...I don't why redhat don't like me :( !

I downloaded redhat 8.1"phoebe" (beta version) to have mozilla with smooth font.

1st try:

fresh install, I had mozilla with smooth fonts but can't compile and install lighthouseblue theme ...error! error! because redhat 8.1 comes with a new nautilus.

2nd try:

fresh redhat 8 install, then copy all the new xft mozilla rpms from the redhat 8.1 "phoebe" CDs. Try to install them ...I got the same f****** error (missing something I have :angry: ).

3rd try:

I compiled and install lighthouseblue theme first and then I tried to update the previous redhat 8 install with the redhat 8.1 CDs and choose only mozilla packages to update ....I had the good mozilla with smooth fonts, I had also lighthouse blue but I couldn't use any other softs because that stupid redhat 8.1 installation install more things that I want : 355MB = mozilla ...+ new kernel 2.4.20.21 ...etc I just wanted mozilla xft :cry:!

4th try:

fresh redhat 8 install :wacko: without any graphic internet packages, then try the to install mozilla xft rpms ..no success !

there is only one thing I didn't try ...it's to install redhat 8 with full packages (4Gb :x ) and pray god that stupid thing people call Operating System won't tell me I need something to install a so simple component ...Damn it's just a browser !!

[complaining mode ON]

There is no way people from windows merge to linux if they don't find a way to install a simple-basic-insignificant software like a browser. I'm not complaining about compiling the source, I'm talking that mozilla or redhat (don't who) give some rpms that's just don't work, it's really a pain! ..or at least give a readme who say what needed installed and where to find them before trying install the rpms. It'll be ridiculous if I need to install 4Gb just to be able to install mozilla xft !!! Worse of this, it's that I paid my redhat 8 distri because I wanted to support linux.

Poeple can't say I'm not patient because it's about one month I try to install mozilla xft, I don't count anymore how many times I downloaded mozillaxft full rpms or mozilla src just to be sure I didn't have a corrupted downloaded files.

People will also tell me that I can install mozilla from package manager, but is always that old version. That stupid package manager don't allow me to choose the version I want to install ...I can't tell it to update from the new redhat 8.1 CD or other location than redhat 8 CD ...that's funny for an administrator account (root) to have poor options. I even try apt-get for Redhat ..It's nice and easy to use, but as always I can only install stuff from the apt-get ftp servers I can't choose location or version I want to install.

[complaining mode OFF]

Now I feel better :p !!! but feel free to prove me I'm dumb and help me to install mozilla xft ;) !

You will always have problems with a beta distro.

As for your problem with redhat 8.0. I will recycle what I said - Uninstall mozilla and all the components and install xft tweaked mozilla. The screenshot you posted says it a package dependency problem. Maybe mozilla-nss etc. are named netscape-nss in the apackage management app.

-edit-

Neobond should have named the thread - The universal super-duper redhat thread.

[root@dragon mozilla1.2.1]# ls -al

total 21072

drwxrwxrwx    2 root    root        4096 Jan 26 02:29 .

drwxr-xr-x    6 root    root        4096 Jan 26 02:29 ..

-rwxrwxrwx    1 root    root    14133496 Jan 26 02:29 mozilla-1.2.1-7.i386.rpm

-rwxrwxrwx    1 root    root      113307 Jan 26 02:29 mozilla-chat-1.2.1-7.i386.rpm

-rwxrwxrwx    1 root    root      3191338 Jan 26 02:29 mozilla-devel-1.2.1-7.i386.rpm

-rwxrwxrwx    1 root    root      225037 Jan 26 02:29 mozilla-dom-inspector-1.2.1-7.i386.rpm

-rwxrwxrwx    1 root    root      235819 Jan 26 02:29 mozilla-js-debugger-1.2.1-7.i386.rpm

-rwxrwxrwx    1 root    root      1903696 Jan 26 02:29 mozilla-mail-1.2.1-7.i386.rpm

-rwxrwxrwx    1 root    root        95001 Jan 26 02:29 mozilla-nspr-1.2.1-7.i386.rpm

-rwxrwxrwx    1 root    root      174805 Jan 26 02:29 mozilla-nspr-devel-1.2.1-7.i386.rpm

-rwxrwxrwx    1 root    root      630739 Jan 26 02:29 mozilla-nss-1.2.1-7.i386.rpm

-rwxrwxrwx    1 root    root      470309 Jan 26 02:29 mozilla-nss-devel-1.2.1-7.i386.rpm

-rwxrwxrwx    1 root    root      319396 Jan 26 02:29 mozilla-psm-1.2.1-7.i386.rpm

then ...just do this:

[root@dragon mozilla1.2.1]# rpm -Uvh --nodeps mozilla-1.2.1-7.i386.rpm

warning: mozilla-1.2.1-7.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 897da07a

Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]

1:mozilla                ########################################### [100%]

And it's work !!!!!!!

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP :D :rofl:

So ...I was happy a little bit too early.

If # rpm -Uvh --nodeps mozilla-1.2.1-7.i386.rpm install anyway mozilla, I can't now go to secure web pages because I need mozilla-psm.

Even I do # rpm -Uvh --nodeps mozilla-psm-1.2.1-7.i386.rpm and install it I still cannot use secure web pages !

So I give up ...I just install redhat 8.1 (click here for a screenshot) even it's a little bit buggy!

you need to remove the old mozilla-psm and then install the new one using -ivh.

If you can't get rid of the old one, use --force.

I tried this too with no success!

Even removing everything (#rpm -e --allmatches mozilla*),

Checking no mozilla package still installed (#rpm -qa |grep mozilla),

Installing again : there is no way just do #rpm -Uvh (or -ivh) package_name.rpm ...I need to do --nodeps if I want to install, but I can't install use psm

When I checked what package is installed (after doing #rpm -Uvh --nodeps mozilla-psm-1.2.1-7.i386.rpm) on my PC I see psm is installed but when trying to go to a secure web page I got a popup who said 'install mozilla psm".

Actually I use redhat 8.1, so I have good fonts, but I really not satisfied to just say it's like this without understand why there is this dependencies problems.

I mean I really would like to understand what happened and not just say to myself its a fact.

I really not satisfied to just say it's like this without understand why there is this dependencies problems.

I mean I really would like to understand what happened and not just say to myself its a fact.

That's why awful a lot of Linux users hate RPM.. It's RPM hell, just like DLL hell!

Anyway ...I have good news: SUCCESS! SUCCESS! !! :D

I resintalled redhat 8.0 this morning because redhat 8.1 is very buggy.

Then I went here to download all the stuff I need to install mozilla xft enable. I changed from mozilla-1.2.1 to mozilla-1.3a because 1.2.1 version it's the first release wiht xft enable and maybe there is some issues to install it.

So I did (step by step:p ) :

checking which mozilla package is installed:

[root@dragon mozilla1.3a]# rpm -qa |grep mozilla

mozilla-1.0.1-24

mozilla-mail-1.0.1-24

mozilla-nspr-1.0.1-24

mozilla-nss-1.0.1-24

mozilla-psm-1.0.1-24

rmove all mozilla-1.0.1-24 that's come with redhat 8.0

[root@dragon mozilla1.3a]# rpm -e mozilla*

checking there is no mozilla package installed:

[root@dragon mozilla1.3a]#

checking all files are there:

[root@dragon mozilla1.3a]# ls

mozilla-1.3a-0_rh8_xft.i386.rpm

mozilla-devel-1.3a-0_rh8_xft.i386.rpm

mozilla-mail-1.3a-0_rh8_xft.i386.rpm

mozilla-nspr-1.3a-0_rh8_xft.i386.rpm

mozilla-nspr-devel-1.3a-0_rh8_xft.i386.rpm

mozilla-nss-1.3a-0_rh8_xft.i386.rpm

mozilla-nss-devel-1.3a-0_rh8_xft.i386.rpm

mozilla-psm-1.3a-0_rh8_xft.i386.rpm

trying to install install mozilla >>dependencies errors !!!

[root@dragon mozilla1.3a]# rpm -ivh mozilla-1.3a-0_rh8_xft.i386.rpm[

error: Failed dependencies:

mozilla-nspr = 1.3a-0_rh8_xft is needed by mozilla-1.3a-0_rh8_xft

libnspr4.so is needed by mozilla-1.3a-0_rh8_xft

libplc4.so is needed by mozilla-1.3a-0_rh8_xft

libplds4.so is needed by mozilla-1.3a-0_rh8_xft

trying to install all packages at once >>It's works !!!

[root@dragon mozilla1.3a]# rpm -Uvh mozilla*

Preparing... ########################################### [100%]

1:mozilla-nspr ########################################### [ 13%]

2:mozilla ########################################### [ 25%]

3:mozilla-nss ########################################### [ 38%]

4:mozilla-devel ########################################### [ 50%]

5:mozilla-mail ########################################### [ 63%]

6:mozilla-nspr-devel ########################################### [ 75%]

7:mozilla-nss-devel ########################################### [ 88%]

8:mozilla-psm ########################################### [100%]

Checking mozilla and stuff are installed:

mozilla-devel-1.3a-0_rh8_xft

mozilla-nspr-1.3a-0_rh8_xft

mozilla-1.3a-0_rh8_xft

mozilla-nspr-devel-1.3a-0_rh8_xft

mozilla-nss-1.3a-0_rh8_xft

mozilla-nss-devel-1.3a-0_rh8_xft

mozilla-psm-1.3a-0_rh8_xft

mozilla-mail-1.3a-0_rh8_xft

Then I ran mozilla and it just run smooth with all features enable (xft, psm, mail, etc)

Edited by Janeiro