Mac OS X Software List

I have to add two applications that are insanely great!

The first is one I use every day because I have to edit audio files for audio listening samples for learners of English, to make exams practices for the Spanish army. It is the best sample editor on earth and works on iPhone, iPad and Mac. I also use it for editing samples for nightclub performances, and on professional music tracks (I DJ dance music on Fridays and Saturdays every week and help produce music too). It's pricy normally but can be got on offer for $20.

It's http://twistedwave.com and is faster and more feature rich than editors that cost upward of $400.

This made me laugh. While I agree that because it runs on mobile devices is a plus, this is way beyond what I consider being the best audio editor. And that is Sound Forge. Ask around, don't take my word for it, it's the most used editor on Windows, Linux (via Wine) and Mac (even if the Mac version is not as good as the Windows version yet). Yes, it costs 300$, but what you get for is worth it, instead of getting a Audacity clone.

Is this list huge enough to make me switch from Windows ?

Well you can run a Windows VM on your mac, so there is no point in Windows at this point. ;-)

you can run a Windows VM on your mac

I know .

A Windows VM can run on Linux too ...

But when we take an OS not just as a main one , but as the only OS for personal use ...

Which has more apps ?

I know .

A Windows VM can run on Linux too ...

But when we take an OS not just as a main one , but as the only OS for personal use ...

Which has more apps ?

Depends on what types of applications you are looking for. 

If you want well built, quality applications; Mac. If you want a sheer abundance of applications, Windows is probably your champion. I thought very logically when I bought my Mac and asked myself what exactly I will be doing with it. 

• Building Mobile Apps
  • Enterprise Network Management
  • Web Development
  • Web Design
  • Photography Editing
  • Writing papers for school
  • Managing finances
  • General web browsing

Now what I need to know is what are my requirements?

• System needs to very rarely freeze up
  • The device should be able to sleep quickly and wake up even quicker
  • Power consumption should be low
  • Device should last me for years (should be able to pass onto kids later in life)

The very last reason to choose a device is what apps the platform supports. But in my mind, Apple products have always had superior apps on their devices. The apps are quick, responsive and almost rarely crash (at least in my experience). Aside from "gaming" a Mac can pretty much do anything a Windows device can, but cleaner. 

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Yes, there are many could be updated.

Well, I always keep this on my Mac(third-party):

The Unarchiver (FREE)

Versions

Foxit Reader (FREE)

Cisdem Video Player (FREE)

FireFox (FREE)

Magnet

OneDrive(FREE)

EverNote(FREE)

• 8 months later...

We're looking to update this list as it has become quite outdated.

I'll be compiling a list of software I'm familiar with and recommend but would love some suggestions from the community to add to the OP. Please post them and look out for an updated list in early 2018.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2017 at 1:05 PM, Andrew said:

We're looking to update this list as it has become quite outdated.

I'll be compiling a list of software I'm familiar with and recommend but would love some suggestions from the community to add to the OP. Please post them and look out for an updated list in early 2018.

These days, the software I use daily is:

PDF Expert

Affinity Photo/Designer

Coda

TwistedWave

Omnifocus

Omnioutliner

Omniplan

Omnigraffle

Hope this helps!