Vista sucks for now!

I just uninstalled vista yesterday. Had it installed from when it was launched. Looks great, but performs awful! I installed XP again this morning and everytning just is FAST again! I just love my computer now! :) I have a p4 3,4ghz (3,7ghz clocked) with 2 gig ram.

Here is a list of things that perform bad i vista:

- Navigation in IE7. Takes MUCH longer time to display pages and if you press the BACK button, you have to wait. In XP everything is smooth again

- HDD is accessing ALL the time in vista :(

- System speed is poor in vista. GUI is SOOOO much faster in XP

- Boot time. Do i have to comment this one?

- Video (HD 720/1080p codecs) perform BAD in vista. In XP i can run 1080p fine when vista lagged.

There is a lof more issues i could comment about vista. I don't hate it yet, but it's NOT finished at all! Maybee when SP2 is out we can see the full potencial with vista.

Vista's much better for me than XP ever was. Your experience is not the be-all end-all result, just FYI.

But thanks for the opinion :rolleyes:

And yes, Vista is finished.

I just uninstalled vista yesterday. Had it installed from when it was launched. Looks great, but performs awful! I installed XP again this morning and everytning just is FAST again! I just love my computer now! :) I have a p4 3,4ghz (3,7ghz clocked) with 2 gig ram.

Here is a list of things that perform bad i vista:

- Navigation in IE7. Takes MUCH longer time to display pages and if you press the BACK button, you have to wait. In XP everything is smooth again

- Video (HD 720/1080p codecs) perform BAD in vista. In XP i can run 1080p fine when vista lagged.

There is a lof more issues i could comment about vista. I don't hate it yet, but it's NOT finished at all! Maybee when SP2 is out we can see the full potencial with vista.

Hmmmm - quite the anomaly, eh?

Vista Ultimate RTM, for me, actually runs smoother and a tad bit faster than XP X64 does on the same machine (dual-boot - and the only reason that it's dual-boot is that Microsoft decided to not support Pocket PC 2002).

IE7 is much smoother in Vista than in XP - for me. Remember; not everyone has the same experience with their computers.

All of that HD access is probably Vista doing the indexing of your HD.

Boot time for me is faster under Vista than XP X64.

The codec issue may be due to RTM drivers for your video card - make sure that you have the latest & most stable video drivers.

Oh, btw - I have 1/2 the RAM you do - is there something else behind this post?

--ScottKin

Comments are so diversed about vista, I'm quite scared how well it will perform for me. Some say it's two times slower and some say it's two times faster. Worse yet, people complaining don't seem to have very old systems or vice versa.

Given your hardware, I think you'll be more than fine with it. I'm running a Core 2 E6300 with 4GB DDR2 and an ATI Radeon X1900XTX.

When I first installed Vista I kept getting a plethora of intermittent 0x000000124 blue screens. This went away when I updated to Realtek's AC97 Vista sound drivers.

Now the only problem that remains are the horrendous NVIDIA drivers. Sure, those with new graphics cards may not notice anything wrong with their 1 June 158.24 drivers, but on my GeForce 6200 games are slower, video is jerky, and HD is a slideshow. This was smooth in XP!

Get your act together NVIDIA, or your customers will continue to flee towards ATI/AMD at an exponentially increasing rate!

When Vista ran faster on my iMac (17", 1st gen) than my main pc (Core 2 Extreme, 3gb ram, etc)

I immediately canned it and went bac... errm, forward to XP again.

I'll wait until SP1 and better drivers are out.

Not fully knocking Vista, but I think it's got "some way to go yet"

Agreed - it varies from person to person, so I'd suggest giving it a test run first just to see what its like..... Best u can do I guess! :/

Going back and forth whether IE7 is better in XP or Vista doesn?t really matter. How many here know that the base code for IE7 in XP and Vista is one and the same?

Sounds like a driver issue or conflicting software. I've installed Vista on a number of machines, even a P4 (with 1GB RAM) and have never had those issues. IE7 is more secure on Vista because of the sandbox protected mode it runs in. Plus, a more reasonable assertion would be that "Vista doesn't like my machine" not such a blanket statement.

I am i systems engineer on Microsoft. MCSE certified and MCP. I know what i am doing. It is not a driver issue or user issue. Vista do perform lower than XP for now. All that says vista is performing better is just to happy with the new system and are banning XP for some reasons. Dont blindly praise vista! It do perform lower. And like every other system it has a lot of bugs. Everyone that says it is perfect is just a MS fanboy.

vista is more stable than xp. Most bsod's i had using xp resulted in me having to format and re-install everything, normally, it was either a corrupt registry or missing files that weren't missing and xp had just decided to corrupt them for some evil reason.

i've had a fair share of vista bsods (in the first few weeks of release) down to crap drivers and incompatible software, anyone known on which were fatal to the os and my data. infact all i had to do was reboot and all was good.

I doubt i'd ever return to xp, true some games, software, hardware don't run 100% yet but that'll change.

The reason why Vista seems to run so much slower than XP is that it should. XP was designed 6 years ago, on 6 year old hardware. 6 years from now we will be saying the same thing about whatever new OS is out then. The same was said about XP when it was first released. It will run worse because it is dewsigned for future products, not just today's or yesterday's.

Having said that, Both XP and Vista seem to run about the same on my desktop. In fact IE7 on XP takes so much longer to load than on Vista it is unusable. So Vista then must be better right?

Blanket statements without looking at the outlying segments achieve nothing. We are not blindly praising Vista, we are reporting on our personal experiences, calling people fanboys just annoys people, myself included.

I doubt i'd ever return to xp, true some games, software, hardware don't run 100% yet but that'll change.

It will, that is what people fail to realize, it is not just a service pack that can "fix" an operating system. Many times it is not the OS at fault, it is the hardware and driver support. Drivers are software, it is easy to upgrade once things are fixed and more is known about how exactly things are done.

It's not perfect but your system seems to be odd system out. The hdd access is Vista building an index of your hard drive, this annoyingly occurs for the first couple of days and then disappears. Boot times on my Pentium M 2.0GHz laptop for Vista is about half of that of XP. Stability is rock stable and often I just put my laptop into sleep, press the power button and the login appears almost instantly. My main complaint with Vista is vendor driver related, I'm not impressed with the performance of my nvidia GO graphics when compared to performance in XP, nor am I happy with the level of support offered by creative for my Audigy 2 ZS PCMCIA card.

You're a MCP? Incredible. You don't specify a single technical issue in your post, have not taken the time time to look at performance counters even.

I have seen many complaints about all the HDD access. It's not superfetch or index. I have (eehh had) a 30 days old installation and the HDD just accessed all the time. Have disabled all antivirus, superfectch and index. Still a lot of HDD access. In XP it's silent.

You're a MCP? Incredible. You don't specify a single technical issue in your post, have not taken the time time to look at performance counters even.
...and MCSE. Not all people do have to explain all in boring technical details.

Personally, I don't have computer that can actually support Vista and all its stuff. Comments can be different since we all have different configurations, therefore, people which have abit older configurations (like me, 512ram, 128 graphics, 2ghz etc etc..) shouldn't even bother to install vista before they upgrade to something decent that can run Vista smoothly and then comment overall performace :) That's my opinion though...

And even if you have configuration that can support Vista fully, you should know a thing or two about tweaking and configuring it to be abit smoother for you... and i dont see reason for it not to work fine on machines that got above 2gb of ram.. Still, installing illegal Windows Vista downloaded from internet, or cracked whatever, is not the thing that you actually want for your computer :) Name full configuration and we might see the problem O.o

Edited by Frame

I find Internet Explorer 7 unbearable and I have a Core 2 Duo @ 2.4GHz with plenty of RAM to spare. Browsing and web page loading is molasses like compared to Firefox. Otherwise Vista is doing OK here. But I'm sure there will be some improvements in SP1 that will make it a far better choice.

...and MCSE. Not all people do have to explain all in boring technical details.

:huh:

Why are you MCSE certified if technical details bore you?

If you know that drivers are not the issue, then why else would HD video be lagging in Vista?

The codecs and media players used both in XP and Vista are identical. Video data is processed using the same codecs as used on XP, using the new drivers that are not yet fully optimized to work with Vista's Display Driver Model. How can it not be the drivers?

I just installed Vista 2 days ago and so far I am really enjoying it. Of my time so far my two biggest issues were not to do with Vista what so ever...I've spent no time dealing with any actual Vista issues (one was a live mail desktop bug that can happen in xp...the other was an app I useing syncing folers incorrectly which again was just it assuming bad settings and not Vista.

Anyway Vista atm doesnt seem any faster or slower. The exception is moving files which for my eye occasionally takes a long amount of time and I believe this is a known bug. Infact I think I read of there being a hotfix out that I could and may look at getting assuming it wasnt pushed over windows update.

Anyway while the OS doesnt seem to be that much faster I didnt expect it to be. What it is is a hell of alot more smoother. Dragging windows doesnt reult in them "skipping" due to rendering speeds and everything from the closing of windows to the previews in the taskbar can best be described in my oppinion as substantually more "graceful" than XP. I didnt need a faster OS than XP, I needed one more stable. Also things such as networking behaves SOOOO much better now and the new memory management just makes re-launching apps all the better.

I realise I havent used it much yet and acknowledge the slow file moving issues but my experience so far has been mostly positive. Infact the networking alone has me very tempted to update my primary PC somewhat earlier than I had planned (I'm on my laptop atm but have a spare Vista install).

i totaly agree with you man, just that i like enjoying my vista on acomputer which is just as bad\good as yours is with a rating of 2.7, just for the new things like aero, glass effect etc...

but i totaly agree with you

Turn off phishing filter

In the beginning Vista index your files for faster searching etc. After a while superfetch kicks inn and HDD usage should be at a minimum. On my PC with 2GB RAM, Vista rarely uses the HDD. XP used it all the time.

Mostly true, although I can't really tell the difference on my PC anymore.

This may vary a bit. About the same as XP on mine.

Runs fine with me. Check your display drivers

Edited by [X]-bYtE

I had a horrible experience with x86 Vista. Once I moved to x64 Edition and added 2GB of RAM (4GB) nothing but perfect....

Maybe 3,4ghz (clocked to 3,7ghz) with 2gig ram and geforce 7800gt isn't enough for a smooth vista xperience? hehe.

I think that vista has to many security things and checkpoints of useless things. Like i had the UAC turned on, but it gave me a ultra slow GUI experience. As soon as i turned it off the GUI was much more smooth. I hope they optimize it when SP1 is out. I'll reinstall it then.