Company announces new gaming console

**sniff**sniff**...do I smell another M2-type outcome?...**sniff**sniff**

...in case you don't know your gaming history...the M2 was supposed to be this INCREDIBLY powerful system from Matsu$hita (either Pioneer or Panasonic's parents company). The rights and design for the hardware were eventually bought by another company. I forget who bought it, but I remember it was for a pretty steep amount tho. It was around $100 million if I am mistaken. The M2 concept design was pretty nice tho. I think the system was supposed to be the replacement for the 3DO consoles.

...oh and whoever created that concept design for the Phantom needs to take a long walk of a short bridge. It is FUGLY!!!

...and oh yea, the Xbox IS is basically a PC. There is nothing wrong with that tho... :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

Edited by jago6498

I think this project will fail. Good idea, but like many others, no sense of business knowledge.

And look at the bulky size of the thing. Why does it need to be so fat?

The Indrema was on the right tracks, nice and slim line. Consoles don't need to occupy so much space like the xBox or Phantom.

Here's the Indrema

http://www.linuxdevices.com/files/misc/indrema.jpg

What console is that? I've never heard of it. SPILL THE BEANS!!!

Here is info I found on the M2:

Source link: Gameculture

M2.jpg

The nastiest offender of them all, the MARK II accelerator (M2) also came very close to actually being released. The M2 was reportedly developed alongside the original 3DO console in an attempt to create a long-lasting consumer platform that would be kept competitive with upgrades, much like the IBM PC. What began as an upgrade for the 3DO system eventually evolved into a full-fledged console that would have been several times more powerful than either the Sony Playstation or the Nintendo 64. The heart of the M2 was an IBM Power PC 64-bit processor, augmented by 10 graphics and sound co-processors.

The system was reportedly capable of processing a whopping 1 million polygons per second, three times faster than the PSX. Electronics giant Matsupoopa purchased the design for the M2 from 3DO for a reported 100 million dollars with the intention of taking the gaming world by force. Unfortunately, the Playstation's market dominance and Matsupoopa's fear of entering an already overcrowded playing field meant the doom of the M2.

Several promising games were ported over to other platforms, and other games were cancelled entirely (the 3-D fighter Iron & Blood went to the Playstation, and the horror adventure game D2 eventually appeared on the Dreamcast, albeit in a form that was vastly different from the one previewed for the M2.) Several functioning prototype M2 consoles have appeared on E-Bay, and at least one collector claims to have playable software.

You will able to play games on-line with PC games from this console

Now that is cool :yes:

(from the thread that Spyder closed)...that isn't anything new. Correct me if I am wrong, but people who originaly bought Quake III for the Dreamcast could play against Quake III Arena PC gamers. It's nothing revolutionary...

...the Phantom is gonna flop. I wonder if they are gonna be @ E3 2003 this year? They would be stupid not to go and at least TRY to promote some hype for the system.

Well they seem to be getting a lot of attention, looks like their homepage is getting too much traffic, can anyone else access the site?

You're not missing anything special ozric...its a POS website. They just boast that (even tho they are new to the gaming business) that they can beat the 3 juggernauts (Sony, Nintendo and M$.)

They must have some big bucks to throw away just to into the arena.

We all know Micro$oft (as the newset to the scene of consoles) can afford the losses they are making and can continue indefinately.