The Hobbit

Rumors are hitting the web today that the release of The Hobbit will not be until 2012. We are trying to independently confirm/deny this rumor so look for an update shortly! Thanks to the Ringers who are sending in the links to various news stories on the topic.

UPDATE

We have received confirmation from the source of all sources, GDT himself stating that this rumor is NOT TRUE. Rest easy folks, it?s not happening.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/12/19...yed-until-2012/

:laugh:h:

• 3 months later...

Good news everyone!

We?ve decided to have The Hobbit span the two movies, including the White Council and the comings and goings of Gandalf to Dol Guldur. We decided it would be a mistake to try to cram everything into one movie. The essential brief was to do The Hobbit, and it allows us to make The Hobbit in a little more style, if you like, of the [LOTR] trilogy.

source

I don't think so, but I don't follow every step of the pre-production so I can be wrong.

"So there you go. The second film will not, as had previously been suggested, a film that will bridge the 60-year gap between The Hobbit and the start of Fellowship Of The Ring."

This would be been a better quote, but i'm glad they aren't going to try and bridge the gap between The Hobbit and Fellowship.

• 1 month later...
Hugo Weaving confirmed to return for ?The Hobbit?

June 11th, 2009 by Calisuri | Source: BBC Radio

Elrond - Hugo WeavingThanks to TORn message board member Theodred for digging up this great scoop! In the following BBC Radio 5 Simon Mayo interview, ?Hobbit? director Guillermo del Toro confirms that Hugo Weaving will be cast in the upcoming ?Hobbit? films. While he does not specifically say he is returning as Elrond, when speaking of Andy Serkis, Ian McKellen and Weaving he says, ??as the roles they originated in the trilogy.? I think we can make a good assumption that means Elrond! Take a moment to listen to the Simon Mayo broadcast over at BBC - the Hobbit casting talk is around the 02:10:55 point. Enjoy! [BBC Radio]

So ah... we filming yet or will this be the next Duke Nukem?

How many characters from LOTR will be in The Hobbit?

To my recollection, just a small portion: Gollum, Bilbo and Gandalf, though I'm probably leaving a few out.

Sarumon for sure and I've heard rumors off and on of introducing Stryder as a ranger doing his ranger thing. Who knows. We need more information, not morsels every six months!

• 1 month later...
'Who' Could Be Bilbo In 'The Hobbit'

Rumor alert! You've been warned; continue reading at your own risk. The rumblings around the Internets indicate that fans who have been patiently waiting for word from Guillermo del Toro on "The Hobbit" will get their wish next week at San Diego Comic-Con. We already learned from the director during a recent interview that he is "very close" to announcing his pint-sized lead. Next week would certainly fall into the bounds of "very close."

The Los Angeles Times' Hero Complex blog mentions that David Tennant, James McAvoy and Daniel Radcliffe are all rumored to be up for the role. To me, Radcliffe seems like a longshot at best. While I'm sure the legions of "Harry Potter" fans out there would like to see The Boy Who Lived wear the One Ring, my guess is that the still-young actor may want to break away from the fantasy mold once J.K. Rowling's series is complete. Then again, there are those many millions of basically assured "Hobbit" dollars to consider....

James McAvoy is more likely. You may remember him as the star of "Wanted," or as Mr. Tumnus in "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe." He also had major roles in both "Atonement" and "The Last King of Scotland." I'm not so sure that his look is right for the part, but then I'm probably bringing some bias to my thinking after seeing Ian Holm's portrayal of Bilbo in Peter Jackson's "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

The most likely possibility at this point seems to be David Tennant, who is already confirmed as a Comic-Con attendee as he bids farewell to his starring run on the "Doctor Who" TV series. If he's moving on to his next big thing -- and I think most of us will agree that "things" don't get much bigger than "The Hobbit" -- a San Diego announcement would be a little bit of perfect timing. Perhaps too perfect, which is why I think Tennant is such a strong possibility.

The Hero Complex piece also mentions Jack Black as a possible casting choice, though the possibility is raised that the rumor may just be a far-fetched joke. I've got nothing at all against Black -- hell, the first Tenacious D album still gets regular play on my headphones -- but I think I'll have to abandon the Tolkien adaptations all together if he somehow lands the Bilbo role.

What do you make of these "Hobbit" possibilities"? Who would you like to see play Bilbo? Radcliffe? McAvoy? Tennant? ...Black?

source

Why not Ian Holm? :\ The ring prevented Bilbo from aging didn't it? So as long as they can get him looking like they did at the start of Lotr it would work fine, plus he did a great job in Lotr. :\

Why not Ian Holm? :\ The ring prevented Bilbo from aging didn't it? So as long as they can get him looking like they did at the start of Lotr it would work fine, plus he did a great job in Lotr. :\

He's 77 now and looks pretty bad from recent photos I've seen of him. I think I've read somewhere that he has some health problems. That might be a reason why he cannot perform in the film.

6cD.jpg

Ringer Spy Uhtred passed this information to Red Carpet Tours, and they have exclusively shared these pics with TheOneRing.net! The re-building of Hobbiton has begun, with the planting of hedgerows and fruit trees. An extension to the path that passes in front of Bag End has been marked out also. There will be several new Hobbit holes dotted along its length. Check out the complete gallery of images in our scrapbook and discuss in our forums! [Scrapbook Gallery] [Red Carpet Tours]

Ever since the first 3 files I've waited for "The Hobbit" to be made. Now it will finally happen it will be nice to be able to actually complete the set of the books in movie form now. I do hope they make extended versions like they did with the LOTR series.