The Hobbit

nope he said he was interested but he didn't agree just yet, but I believe Jackson is just trying to get some actors on board just incase.

damn you Jackson, just do it already! It is inevitable. :shifty:

• 2 months later...

Green Light Expected for ?The Hobbit? Within a Few Days

The LA Times bases this report on several anonymous sources, which say that the studios have ?nearly? finalized the deal to have Peter Jackson direct as well as co-write and produce, and that other issues that have put off production are nearly finalized as well. One of those issues relates to the rights negotiations with the estate of original author J.R.R. Tolkien.

For me, the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy was the best "movie" I've ever watched. I loved it so much, that I watched all 3 parts at least 10 times so far. One thing that I regret is the fact that it won't be a sequel to this amazing story.

However, "The Hobbit" is coming. I have lots of expectations for this movie, and I see it as a prequel to LoTR (some of the characters from LoTR are here too). What do you think? Will "The Hobbit" be as big as LoTR was, or at least "decent"? :) What are your thoughts on this?

• 4 weeks later...
Sir Ian McKellen has said that he has not yet signed to join The Hobbit.

Speaking to Broadway World, the actor explained that he is not under contract to return as Gandalf in director Peter Jackson's Lord Of The Rings prequels.

"I am not under contract, no. I'm not going to say any more than that because it might complicate things! So, I would say - at the moment - no, I am not under contract," McKellen stated.

The X-Men star had been attached to reprise his role as the Middle-earth wizard in The Hobbit.

"The aim is to start filming in January," he previously said about the project.

674019909.jpg

Warner Bros. and Peter Jackson have announced that Irish actor James Nesbitt will be joining the cast of The Hobbit. The actor will play Bofur, a disarmingly forthright, funny and occasionally brave Dwarf.

James Nesbitt is well known in the UK for his TV roles, and he appeared in Bloody Sunday in 2002 (directed by Bourne director Paul Greengrass).

On the casting Peter Jackson said:

?James?s charm, warmth and wit are legendary as is his range as an actor in both comedic and dramatic roles. We feel very lucky to be able to welcome him as one of our cast.?

Also joining the cast is newcomer Adam Brown who will play Ori, another of the Dwarf Company which sets out to reclaim the Lonely Mountain from the infamous dragon, Smaug. Jackson comments, ?Adam is a wonderfully expressive actor and has a unique screen presence. I look forward to seeing him bring Ori to life.?

Director Peter Jackson and the team are now in pre-production and aim to start filming in February. Martin Freeman has been confirmed to play Bilbo Baggins and, while he is expected to return as Gandalf, Ian McKellen has yet to officially sign on. I?m sure everything will be worked out, though.

• 4 weeks later...

gYaWR.jpg

Cate Blanchett is returning as Galadriel in The Hobbit, which Peter Jackson directs in February. Jackson has also set Ken Stott (Charlie Wilson's War) to play Dwarf Lord Balin, Sylvester McCoy (Dr. Who) to play the wizard Radagast the Brown, and Swedish actor Mikael Persbrandt (Day and Night) to play shape-shifter Beorn. Ryan Gage (Outlaw) will play Drogo Baggins and Jed Brophy (who appeared in the original The Lord of the Rings) will play the dwarf Nori, and William Kircher will play the dwarf Bifur.

On Blanchett's return as the ethereal Lady of Lothlorien, Jackson said: "Cate if one of my favorite actors to work with and I couldn't be more thrilled to have her reprise the role she so beautifully brought to life in the earlier films."

Jackson--who wrote the script with Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and Guillermo del Toro--previously announced that Martin Freeman will play Bilbo Baggins. Blanchett likely won't be the only returning cast member. Ian McKellan is expected to reprise Gandalf and Andy Serkis is expected to bring back Gollum. The film's being made by New Line as a co-production between Warner Bros and MGM

http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/cate-blanchett-back-to-middle-earth-for-the-hobbit/

qOqQV.jpg

Orlando Bloom is reportedly close to signing on to return as Legolas. The character isn't in the book, but the role is reportedly more than a cameo. One might assume he will mainly be seen in the companion film, which explains where Gandalf was while he was absent from The Hobbit. Speaking of Gandalf, Ian McKellan is reportedly still involved in ongoing, "arduous" negotiations, as are Andy Serkis as Gollum and Hugo Weaving as Elrond. [Deadline]

• 4 weeks later...

410477096.jpg

I?ve learned that Warner Bros will, in fact, pay the entire cost of the two installments of The Hobbit, a price-tag that is expected to exceed $500 million. Now, the question will be which cast members from The Lord of the Rings come back for encores. I?ve heard talk of conversations with Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis and possibly Elijah Wood. I?d heard Orlando Bloom was also in talks before the holidays. Returning actors will need to be locked in shortly.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/warner-bros-taking-worldwide-distribution-on-the-hobbit/

Deadline reports that a deal is locked for Andy Serkis, and says that sources say Ian McKellen is working on his deal to return, Christopher Lee is in talks to play Saruman once more, and Ian Holm is likely to return as the older version of Bilbo Baggins, who will be played in most of The Hobbit films by Martin Freeman. (Edit: Just after we published this story, THR announced that the deal for Ian McKellen was done, so he?s locked.)

Mr. Serkis, of course, will once again play Gollum, the man who was twisted into a creature by years of influence from the One Ring. We saw brief flashbacks of the original encounter between Bilbo and Gollum in Peter Jackson?s original Tolkien films. (One wonders if, after the Hobbit films are out, the relevant flashbacks in The Lord of the Rings will be replaced with footage from the newer films.)

These actors will join the large cast already assembled:

Richard Armitage (MI-5, Captain America) as Thorin Oakenshield, leader of the Dwarves, whose grandfather ruled the Lonely Mountain settlement destroyed by Smaug.

Aidan Turner (Being Human) and Rob Kazinsky (EastEnders) as Kili and Fili, nephews of Thorin.

Graham McTavish (Secretariat) as Dwalin, blue-bearded, first to arrive at the home of Bilbo Baggins.

John Callen as Oin, skillful fire-maker. Brother of Gloin.

Stephen Hunter (All Saints) as Bombur, the fat, sleepy and slow member of Thorin?s company.

Mark Hadlow (King Kong) as Dori, strongest of the Dwarves, who carries Bilbo on his back at one point.

Peter Hambleton (The Strip) as Gloin, brother of Oin, initially suspicious of Bilbo?s worth, but eventually convinced. Father of Gimli from The Lord of the Rings.

Ken Stott (Charlie Wilson?s War) is the Dwarf Lord Balin

Sylvester McCoy (Doctor Who) is the wizard Radagast the Brown

Mikael Persbrandt (Day and Night) is Beorn, an enormous shape-shifter who can take the form of a bear

Ryan Gage (Outlaw) is Drogo Baggins

Jed Brophy (The Lord of the Rings) is the dwarf Nori

William Kircher is the dwarf Bifur

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/slashfilm/~3/965X5fDwW38/

I think this will be good as long as they maintain the level of gayness that the last film. "oh Frodo" glazed eyes staring homoerotically at eachother....