Redhat 8.1 Phoebe

is there anyway to install it without downloading and burning the 3 main cd's ?

I saw this but don't quite understand it

There's no major changes, so a simple package refresh should be enough. Simply run rpm -Fvh against a mirror of your choice, for example: "rpm -Fvh ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirr ors/ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/beta/ph...

and also saw this

Get the redhat-release rpm and install it. Then run "up2date-nox --nosig -u -v" and you will be upgraded to the new phoebe beta.

can anyone clear this up? thx. :)

If you already have RedHat 8.0 installed then you can upgrade to 8.1 using those steps.  Otherwise, start downloading ISOs.

yes but how,

Get the redhat-release rpm
whats the file called? I looked but dont find anything

I tried the first command in console, it ran but nothing happened, just was stuck on > , wondering how long it would take to dl the updates since I didn't really see any activity in my modem.

1) # rpm -Fvh ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/bet...edHat/RPMS/*rpm

You can change the ftp to your closer mirror for the faster download.

BTW: last is "*rpm" w/out quote..

------------------=or=------------------

1) Download redhat-release-8.0.93-2.noarch.rpm and install it. You can download this file from. -> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/bet...86/RedHat/RPMS/

2) # up2date-nox --nosig -u -v

alright Ive been dling the updates for the beta for the last hour and a half, still got a bit togo, I was wondering I just use this and it'll be installed? never done it like this before

Right now, I am in my brother's laptop that has RedHat 8. I am using the second option and it's working.. Awful a lot of traffic right now, but I am able to downloading them fast thought. If you want to make sure if your RedHat is downloading stuff, you can check by netstat -t..

yea the 1st option didnt seem to work after it got all the rpms, dunno why just quit :angry: :cry: after all that time dling, anyways I'm also using the 2nd option, I'm up right now b/c I'm writing a paper for eng class heh and also watching adult swim :)

I got these errors

warning: /var/tmp/rpm-xfer.nCjFd0: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 897da07a

warning: package glibc = 2.3.1-21 was already added, replacing with glibc <= 2.3.1-21

warning: package kernel = 2.4.20-2.2 was already added, replacing with kernel <= 2.4.20-2.2

warning: package kernel = 2.4.20-2.2 was already added, replacing with kernel <= 2.4.20-2.2

warning: package openssl = 0.9.6b-30 was already added, replacing with openssl <= 0.9.6b-30

error: Failed dependencies:

libelf.so.1 is needed by ethereal-0.9.8-1

libgal.so.21 is needed by evolution-1.2.1-2

libsoup.so.3 is needed by evolution-1.2.1-2

soup >= 0.7.10 is needed by evolution-1.2.1-2

libSDL_mixer-1.2.so.0 is needed by freeciv-1.13.0-3

libstartup-notification-1.so.0 is needed by gnome-desktop-2.1.4-1

libgal.so.21 is needed by gtkhtml-1.1.7-1

libstartup-notification-1.so.0 is needed by metacity-2.4.8-1

libelf.so.1 is needed by net-snmp-5.0.6-9

libelf.so.1 is needed by net-snmp-utils-5.0.6-9

freetype-devel >= 2.1.2-2 is needed by pango-1.1.6-1

libelf.so.1 is needed by rpm-4.2-0.25.1

libelf.so.1(ELFUTILS_1.0) is needed by rpm-4.2-0.25.1

libelf.so.1 is needed by rpm-build-4.2-0.25.1

libelf.so.1(ELFUTILS_1.0) is needed by rpm-build-4.2-0.25.1

libelf.so.1 is needed by rpm-devel-4.2-0.25.1

elfutils >= 0.55 is needed by rpm-python-4.2-0.25.1

libelf.so.1 is needed by rpm-python-4.2-0.25.1

fontconfig-devel is needed by XFree86-devel-4.2.99.2-0.20021217.0

XFree86-libs-data = 4.2.99.2-0.20021217.0 is needed by XFree86-libs-4.2.99.2-0.20021217.0

/usr/bin/ttmkfdir is needed by XFree86-truetype-fonts-4.2.99.2-0.20021217.0

/usr/bin/ttmkfdir is needed by XFree86-xfs-4.2.99.2-0.20021217.0

libXm.so.3 is needed by xpdf-2.01-2

libkateinterfaces.so.0 is needed by (installed) kdeaddons-kate-3.0.3-1

kernel = 2.4.18-19.8.0 is needed by (installed) kernel-ntfs-2.4.18-19.8.0

librpm-4.1.so is needed by (installed) apt-0.5.4cnc9-fr1

librpmdb-4.1.so is needed by (installed) apt-0.5.4cnc9-fr1

librpmio-4.1.so is needed by (installed) apt-0.5.4cnc9-fr1

xmms = 1.2.7 is needed by (installed) xmms-mp3-1.2.7-13.p

I checked them and I had most of them already installed :blink:

Right now, I am in my brother's laptop that has RedHat 8. I am using the second option and it's working.. Awful a lot of traffic right now, but I am able to downloading them fast thought. If you want to make sure if your RedHat is downloading stuff, you can check by netstat -t..

what differences do you notice in 8.1? Is it stable?

I hear the fonts look sexy :devil:

has the new x font server thingy....

The new version of nautilus also has some new features such as a build-in media player.

bleh...I need more coffee.

I decided to install from cd since I cant get it to work thru updating over the net, anyone know what version of xfree it has, wondering it they implemented drivers for newer ATI cards

I decided to install from cd since I cant get it to work thru updating over the net, anyone know what version of xfree it has, wondering it they implemented drivers for newer ATI cards

XFree86 4.3-rc

:cry: ok I installed the beta awhile ago, anyways it works, and it detects my card and uses the radeon drivers, but whenever I try to run a linux game like Chromium or tux racer, it lags like hell, I dont get why it does this :(

:cry: ok I installed the beta awhile ago, anyways it works, and it detects my card and uses the radeon drivers, but whenever I try to run a linux game like Chromium or tux racer, it lags like hell, I dont get why it does this :(

I have an nVidia, but it did the same thing. I installed drivers from them and it worked great. Try doing that, maybe it'll work.

try installing the ATI drivers? no way man, everytime I've tried to it messes up my config.

Alright, I didn't know. I'm sure it'll work if you can figure out that problem. Hope you figure it out.

I tried to install them again but the installtion still doesnt work for some reason :( but rh was great and I was able to reconfig xfree , I tried the game and it still lags