Can I upgrade from Vista Ultimate 32-bit -> 64-bit?

I own the retail version of Windows Vista Ultimate.

I know the Vista Ultimate DVD includes both 32-bit and 64-bit versions on disk. Last year, I installed and activated the 32-bit version.

I've just upgraded my computer with 4GB memory and would like to switch to the 64-bit version. Is that possible with my existing cd-key? And if so, what do I need to do?

Thanks, Ken

Update: Vista Ultimate includes two separate disks, one with 64-bit and one with 32-bit.

Edited by KenAF2

If your DVD has both the 32 and 64 bit, you're fine, but you cannot upgrade as going to a different architecture requires formatting. Plenty of threads with this same question :/

You'd need to buy a Windows Vista Ultimate x64 license, format the computer, and then install that.

I understand that I need to reformat. My question is really whether I have to order something new from Microsoft.

I was told by a co-worker that once you register your Vista Ultimate key under 32-bit Vista, it is tied to 32-bit and cannot be used for the 64-bit version. Is that true?

If so, what do I need to buy so I can use my existing cd-key under the 64-bit version? And where?

You can use your X86 Vista CD Key for X64 Vista CD Key all you need is the X64 Vista Media. I've done it already on my machine no problems...You might have to call microsoft to activate it...But even then you should still have no problems.

Good-Luck!

The license is the same for both 32 or 64 bit versions. Retail packages of Vista Ultimate come with both media, one license. You can use it on either, it's entirely your choice.

I'm also sure the dvd does not contain both 32 and 64-bit data - they're on separate media. You can order the 64-bit disc from http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033...ia/default.mspx

The license is the same for both 32 or 64 bit versions. Retail packages of Vista Ultimate come with both media, one license. You can use it on either, it's entirely your choice.

Thanks guys. I just checked, and there is indeed a 64-bit DVD in the box.

Good to hear that I can re-use my existing, activated CD key.

Thanks again.

• 1 month later...

Guess I'm stuck with 32bit if I bough the system builder version? Is there a way to spend a few dollars to go to 64bit or do I have to buy a whole new version?